The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knorp

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Amsterdam museum square blossoming

| PENTAX-FA 1:2.8 20mm |

Barry Haines

Mevagissey Harbour, Cornwall....We have sunshine at long last!
A7R + 55mm F1.8 all taken at various apertures.

m_driscoll

A few in the South Park Neighborhood of Seattle. It's working class (whatever that means these days, since, we're all working) and hemmed in by freeways, industry and the Duwamish River.

A7r, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/500s @ f/8, ISO 200

A7r, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 70mm, 1/250s @ f/8, ISO 200

A7r, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 70mm, 1/250s @ f/8, ISO 200

A7r, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/500s @ f/8, ISO 200

A7r, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/4, 24mm, 1/800s @ f/4, ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Illustrating two 28mm lenses, one RF and one DSLR, on A7: Konica f2.8 Hexanon in M mount, and Zeiss f2.8 Distagon in C/Y mount:

Of the five M-mount 28s I tried, the Hexanon-M was the only one that didn't smear the corners at an aperture wider than f5.6 (I'd also tried Summicron, Ultron V1, Skopar, and Biogon). But it does tint the corners with a bit of blue and also offers some noticeable barrel distortion. To compensate for this I've been exposing with ExpoDisk and then post-processing with Adobe Flat Field plug-in and Lens Correction. This seems to retain most of the lens's admirable sharpness, but it does seem to flatten out some subtleties of tone.

The Zeiss isn't quite as sharp in the corners, but being a retrofocus lens, it neither tints the corners nor smears them. It does vignette at wider apertures, but it's only luminance vignetting – easy to correct if you don't like it. Image quality has a lot of 'presence,' which is what Distagons are known for.

I'm not sure which of these I'll end up keeping. The Hexanon-M is inconspicuous and ergonomically comfortable, but it requires a lot of post-processing. Zeiss has better image tone and less distortion right out of the camera, but its size makes the little A7 seem as clumsy as a DSLR. People are certainly more likely to notice it on the street – on its first day out, two strangers commented on the 'nice' (i.e., conspicuous) camera.

(Both images have been perspective-cropped, so they're fill-frame at the bottom but have lost their farthest top corners.)

Roadmaster with training wheels by thompsonkirk, on Flickr

CA / Budapest by thompsonkirk, on Flickr

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Micro setup for macro hiking

These shots were taken with a Foldio portable studio (with built in lighting and exchangeable backdrop colours!) and an A7R both with and without Kenko macro extension tubes. Tripod was a Gorillapod, and all processing and uploading was on a Surface Pro 2 running Lightroom. I used a micro SD card with adaptor so no card reader needed. I could have used my iPhone to create a personal hotspot for the uploads but I didn't.

All this fits into a small backpack and is very light. I am practicing for a trip to the rainforest soon, where I want to shoot some high res images of flora and fauna to make large prints from, in studio conditions but whilst hiking.

I haven't perfected the technique yet, but it really is fun trying!

Barry Haines

Re: Micro setup for macro hiking

These shots were taken with a Foldio portable studio (with built in lighting and exchangeable backdrop colours!) and an A7R both with and without Kenko macro extension tubes. Tripod was a Gorillapod, and all processing and uploading was on a Surface Pro 2 running Lightroom. I used a micro SD card with adaptor so no card reader needed. I could have used my iPhone to create a personal hotspot for the uploads but I didn't.

All this fits into a small backpack and is very light. I am practicing for a trip to the rainforest soon, where I want to shoot some high res images of flora and fauna to make large prints from, in studio conditions but whilst hiking.

I haven't perfected the technique yet, but it really is fun trying!
Excellent Tim,
Just a quick question you could hopefully answer for me.
Do the Kenko extension tubes vignette with the 55/F1.8 at any apertures?...or is it necessary to crop the images afterwards.
Many thanks...Cheers Barry

tashley

Subscriber Member

Barry, thanks! They do vignette a little, a crop of about 10-20% is needed. This seems the case with the zoom too, but the 35mm FE is fine if you stop down a bit.

johnnygoesdigital

Tashley,

You make the 35mm sing! The tonal gradiations are creamy smooth. I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but new FE lenses should be announced next month, so might wait. I'm hoping for a slightly wider, faster prime lens for landscape. Nicely done!

Barry Haines

Barry, thanks! They do vignette a little, a crop of about 10-20% is needed. This seems the case with the zoom too, but the 35mm FE is fine if you stop down a bit.
Many thanks Tim,
A loss of just 10-20% is pretty good in reality...I have to confess I was expecting you to say higher.
Still plenty of the pie to eat just leave behind the outer crust.
I have had the Kenko Ext. tubes before on a Canon outfit they seem to be pretty well made and better than most that I have owned in the past.
Cheers Barry

scho

A7r + Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8. It was 80 degrees here today and I was looking forward to a walk in the cool gorge, but still closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.