The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Happy Easter Everyone

Wanted to add a few more food shots . These again where with the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art lens. Both images around F9 and both with 4 focused stack shots. On the A7r tethered via C1 with hot folder I can shoot and see immediate effects but more important and the biggest reason I bought the Sonys was focus peaking. In this situation its the best there is as I can see where my focus points are take that frame than focus out 2 or 3 more times until I get in this case to the end of the food and build a nice very detailed image from the front of the product to the end of the product. Want to make this clear yes I am adding DOF but more important I am adding critical focus points along the way so in effect it is DOF but it really is not but expanding the critical focus from the front to back. DOF would not be this critically sharp. This is a very important and valuable technique in many situations. Here its so easy to do this as I am bolted completely down and nothing is moving in the image. This is IMHO a little better than having Tilt as you can see the effect a little easier and be a little faster in the process. Now love to have a tilt lens but this is a extremely good cheat to accomplish that depth of critical focus. So this is your Easter Tip of the day. I use Helicon Focus to do the blending. BTW I also corrected in C1 the keystoning than applied that setting to all of the same focus stack images before using Helicon to blend

Take a look at there website for more data on this. I was going to do a front page article on this technique but did the camera instead. IMHO this process could not be more financially sound as all your buying is software. So if you don't have a T/S lens this is a excellent way around it.

Helicon Focus | Helicon Soft

Turkey Pot Pie

Ribeye Steak. Hmmm good too

I used here the wine storage area as my backdrop

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Okay another excellent use of focus stacking. Here I did three shots with my Zeiss 25mm F2 and as you can see at F8 I think it was from the front to back in critical focus. No lighting added here.

Guy Mancuso

Now a test shot as i need to redo this with lighting and some changes in the room just the Zeiss 25mm F2 in one shot at F9

Guy Mancuso

Lastly to this series as I know folks love to see what this very inexpensive Rokinion 14mm can do and more important how the distortion correction really does a nice job of getting the image back to a normal perspective. For less than 400 dollars its a bargain in the correct hands. This was a 6 second exposure and I popped off two flash pops in different directions on my Sony flash to add some light. No focus stacking but I think F11. Tremendous DOF with this lens but you need to take care on focusing it as the focusing is very funky on this lens. Focus peaking works a charm here. And Yes i do not miss my Nikon for one split second with this focus peaking. My old eyes are lasers now , well sort of. LOL

Hopefully the food shots get you excited for a great meal today with your family and friends. Im cooking Chicago Dogs and Burgers. LOL

JMaher

BSEH,

Great group and portrait shot. The portrait especially so.

Jim

Godfrey

Back home again. Another photo from the trip ...

Sony A7 + Summicron-R 90mm f/2

More as I get to them...
Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

scho

A beautiful Easter sunday. Two from a walk along the waterfront trail with A7r+28mm f/2.8 M-Rokkor (Phigment adapter).

tashley

Subscriber Member

The result of this winter's storms on the south coast of England. Sometime when I'm not on a laptop I'll edit both together from RAW so as to more closely match the crop and tonality.

Before: November 2008
After: April 2014

dwood

The result of this winter's storms on the south coast of England. Sometime when I'm not on a laptop I'll edit both together from RAW so as to more closely match the crop and tonality.

Before: November 2008
After: April 2014

Seriously? There appears to be a house missing in 2014!

Michiel Schierbeek

Around 1900.... (not taken by me!)

Britain is getting smaller and smaller :scry:

That is exactly what I ment: don't sit right under the cliffs, a house might fall on you.

BTW The same thing is happening on this side of the channel, some houses are abandoned already and ready to fall.

Godfrey

Sony A7 + Summicron-R 90mm f/2

Looking south and east from the high ground over the Port Erin harbor on the Isle of Man.

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.