The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Thanks for the invitation Werner. :):):)
I did...The 18mm Zeiss seems to shine in your hands.
Amazingly sharp - It resolves just great.
The 18mm Distagon is normally overlooked for it's 21mm cousin but it's hard to understand why when it behaves so well on the A7R.
Cheers Barry

PS. Do the corners need any extra PP work?
Thanks Barry,
yes the 21 Distagon is quite famous and good but i think it is to big on the 7's.
The other advantage of the 18, beside the 3mm less, it is cheaper as well.

No special PP in the corners, there is a lens profile in LR wich you can use if necessary for vignetting and distortion correction. The profile was used in the "Greenhouse" shot, the roof construction needs straight lines....

Regards Werner

Uaiomex

Breathtaking N S Ng! Especially the first one and the sixth one in color. I love b&w pictures but in this case I like your color versions better. Maybe I just got spoiled after staring at some Monochrom Leica photos the other day.

Eduardo

I have been lurking here for quite a while and seeing all the great images, I decided to join in the fun. I have just returned from a 11-day trip to Ethiopia. Together with my M240 and M8, I brought along an A7R with an assortment of M and R lenses. The only native FE lens I have is the 55 f1.8. It is this combo that impresses me with IQ that can only be described as superb! Here are a few images with this set-up,

N S Ng

Barry Haines

Thanks Barry,
yes the 21 Distagon is quite famous and good but i think it is to big on the 7's.
The other advantage of the 18, beside the 3mm less, it is cheaper as well.

No special PP in the corners, there is a lens profile in LR wich you can use if necessary for vignetting and distortion correction. The profile was used in the "Greenhouse" shot, the roof construction needs straight lines....

Regards Werner
Many thanks Werner for the Zeiss 18mm thumbs up,
The 18mm has a lot of good things going for it and it suits my style of photography just fine...I will wait and see just how well the newly announced and versatile 16-35mm F4 FE Sony performs on the A7R before making my mind up.
After selling 6 Leica M mount (Leica/Zeiss/Voigtlander) lenses this year I decided to start all over again and have a complete change. At the moment I have just a 35mm, 55mm and 58mm which is pretty limiting to put it mildly...I desperately want something a bit wider (and longer).
Thanks again for your help...Cheers Barry

W.Utsch

The following post needs a little story:

A couple of weeks ago i bought a Leica R Bellows at the Bay. I wanted to get closer on occasional macros with my Leica R Elmarit’s (60 and Apo-Macro 100). The Bellows was 150 € and it is , typical Leica, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Some days later i helped my wife to clean up the garden for spring and summer: I found a scallop shell (Coquille Saint-Jacques) between the plants. I remembered, a year ago we had Saint-Jaques for dinner and my wife kept some of the shells and put them in the garden for decoration.
Next to photographing, cooking (and wine) is my other passion and i share it well with my wife.

Thought the shell will be a nice object to try out the new bellows. On my desk i was not satisfied what i saw in the EVF, not enough DOF at all. I decided to try my very first focus-stacking to get the whole shell in focus.

The manual of the bellows said with the 100 lens and F5.6 DOF is about 1.7 mm with a magnification of ca. 1.5. The height of the shell is about 2.5 cm from the lowest part (lower left and right) to the highest in the lower middle of the shell. Took 12 shots and processed them in Photoshop CC.

"Scallop - Coquille Saint-Jaques"
ca 1:1,5

Shell Stack-387.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

The setup with Leica R Bellows and Scallop

DSC05154.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

The dinner (iPhone 5 shot):

"Marinated Scallops with Frisee Lettuce and Grapefruit"

IMG_1487 by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Michiel Schierbeek

We will make this dish soon in France, thanks Werner. Are the scallops shortly baked, they look a bit raw. And what is the red powder, paprika or chili?
We turn this site into a cooking club soon :D

An old steel press.

W.Utsch

Michiel, the scallops are only marinated (raw - i only use RAW :))they where frseh out of the shell. The red powder is the coraille of the Saint-Jacques roasted and finely grounded mixed with a little Espelette.

Godfrey

The following post needs a little story:

A couple of weeks ago i bought a Leica R Bellows at the Bay. I wanted to get closer on occasional macros with my Leica R Elmarit’s (60 and Apo-Macro 100). The Bellows was 150 € and it is , typical Leica, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Some days later i helped my wife to clean up the garden for spring and summer: I found a scallop shell (Coquille Saint-Jacques) between the plants. I remembered, a year ago we had Saint-Jaques for dinner and my wife kept some of the shells and put them in the garden for decoration.
Next to photographing, cooking (and wine) is my other passion and i share it well with my wife.

Thought the shell will be a nice object to try out the new bellows. On my desk i was not satisfied what i saw in the EVF, not enough DOF at all. I decided to try my very first focus-stacking to get the whole shell in focus.

The manual of the bellows said with the 100 lens and F5.6 DOF is about 1.7 mm with a magnification of ca. 1.5. The height of the shell is about 2.5 cm from the lowest part (lower left and right) to the highest in the lower middle of the shell. Took 12 shots and processed them in Photoshop CC.

"Scallop - Coquille Saint-Jaques"
ca 1:1,5

Shell Stack-387.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr
The shell photograph is excellent. Nicely done!
I'll have to read up on focus stacking ... I haven't used that technique.

Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.