The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

f 1.0: You made me a tour de force for likes with these Nocti shots! :)
A fantastic lens with or without bokeh! well done....

Godfrey: Thanks!
Its fun to use and experiment with new tech's.
Its amazing what software can do and what new possibilities we have...

Taylor Sherman

A7 with: Leica Super-Elmar 21/3.4, Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II, Leica Summicron-R 35/2, Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4

Sony A7 - Amateur hour architecture photos:

Just playing around with my toys. Not getting paid for this. I just did it on a lark because I have to look at the lobby monitor all day long. :) No distortion corrections, just a bit of over-processing to grab attention on an HDTV in the lobby.

This first one was taken with a Summicron 50 R on the A7, I believe it was F8 at iso 50, processed from the raw file.

All the rest are with the Rokinon 14mm at F16, iso 50.

These two were 30 second exposures, F16 but I used a hand held flashlight to paint the trees, flowers and some of the sidewalk.

This last one was a bit of a "Hail Mary" shot. I switched into jpeg only mode to use the Auto ISO multi shot noise reduction. The reason I did this was because my tripod would not reach the height or position that I wanted. I wound up with my hands stretched over my head as high as I could reach. The exposures wound up being 1/7th of a second each. The end result is only good enough for HDTV size due to the smearing. I had already dropped down to F5.6 to try to improve the chance of success. I would say that it just barely works for the intended use.

Best regards,
DGM

Last edited:

Godfrey

'day mark' - A7R / FE 24-70

Something simple yet intense/mysterious to me about this photo. What does the cryptic "day mark" above it mean? I like the simple lines and forms, the green color is startling.

G

dwood

Something simple yet intense/mysterious to me about this photo. What does the cryptic "day mark" above it mean? I like the simple lines and forms, the green color is startling.

G
Hi Godfrey,

A day mark (or day marker) is used as an aid to navigation for sailors (sail or power). They're used to mark channel locations. Day markers are permanently installed, like this one, and you'll also see channel markers on the water that are anchored to the ocean/lake/river bottom and float. The green floating versions are known as 'cans' and the red ones are 'nuns'. If a sailor is entering a smaller body of water from a larger one, red markers need to be kept to on the boat's starboard side (right) and green to port (left). The colors of these markers are purposely 'startling' in order to get the attention of the sailor navigating a channel, because going outside of the channel can run you aground.

-Doug

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

A day mark (or day marker) is used as an aid to navigation for sailors (sail or power). They're used to mark channel locations. Day markers are permanently installed, like this one, and you'll also see channel markers on the water that are anchored to the ocean/lake/river bottom and float. The green floating versions are known as 'cans' and the red ones are 'nuns'. If a sailor is entering a smaller body of water from a larger one, red markers need to be kept to on the boat's starboard side (right) and green to port (left). The colors of these markers are purposely 'startling' in order to get the attention of the sailor navigating a channel, because going outside of the channel can run you aground.

-Doug
Ah, thanks! I suspected it might be something like that, but I couldn't get the context from the photo or the words "day mark" ... Dense today, I think. Or distracted. ;-)

G

Mark K

Buildings in China Town, KL

I was quite surprised to find these in the capital city of Malaysia

johnnygoesdigital

'day mark' - A7R / FE 24-70

Ahh... navigating. I did an overnight in a Tartan 37 from just north of Block Is. to Harpswell, ME. 40 kts. from the NW 7kts on the hull. Stars stretched to both horizons! I know the nuns and cans...and the lobster pots too!

dwood

Ahh... navigating. I did an overnight in a Tartan 37 from just north of Block Is. to Harpswell, ME. 40 kts. from the NW 7kts on the hull. Stars stretched to both horizons! I know the nuns and cans...and the lobster pots too!
That sounds like a great trip, although a bit breezy! My Dad lives on Great Island in Harpswell. Sailing through lobster pots can be a challenge, huh? Hope you didn't have any issues getting tangled up in any pot warp.

Status
Not open for further replies.