The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Interesting Barry! Is that some artist's house. Wonder what's writen on the chalkboards.
It is a bit too monumental for the size of the house :eek:

Barry Haines

Interesting Barry! Is that some artist's house. Wonder what's writen on the chalkboards.
It is a bit too monumental for the size of the house :eek:

Hi Michiel,
Artist?...Well no not exactly, he is the self appointed “Arch Druid of Cornwall” - Ed Prynn.
The blackboards have the various famous names of those that have visited.
He also has a “Rebirthing Chamber” under the garden, from what I gather even Maggie Thatcher RIP went down there. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Quote from the Telegraph Newspaper...
Other visitors to Ed's kingdom arrive in plaster casts or on crutches, anxious to get their hands on his special healing stone to cure their ailments. Yet others are hoping to strip naked and pop down to Ed's fogou - a replica Celtic underground chamber that he's built under the garden. "That's where we have our rebirthing ceremonies and anything else you may fancy," he says. "Eccentric people must be able to come here and do whatever they like, as long as they don't bring the police down on us."

Cheers Barry

Michiel Schierbeek

Uhm... thanks for the insides Barry. A bit weird to say the least....., but I must say he put a lot of effort to raise those big stones in his front garden, a solid investment :D

Meanwhile in Normandy some waving fields.

JimCollum

still playing around seeing what it can do.

This morning took the Nikkor 50mm 1.2 down to the Boardwalk in foggy weather to try that one out on some familiar shots.

I do believe i'll be giving up my D800E

all w. Nikkor 50mm 1.2 shot @ f1.2

Jim, I love the pastel palette in your boardwalk shots! The whole series is great, but Tater Twists is IMO the mastrpiece in the set – something Walker Evans would love. The sailboat is perfectly placed. And the nut booth seems to float in space.

Thx especially for posting these,

Kirk

f64

Jim, I love the pastel palette in your boardwalk shots! The whole series is great, but Tater Twists is IMO the mastrpiece in the set – something Walker Evans would love. The sailboat is perfectly placed. And the nut booth seems to float in space.

Kirk
Indeed. Would you like to give some hints on how you got these beautiful colors?

fotografz

Big fan of your photography as always Jim.

These are iconic.

When are you publishing a book?

- Marc

Barry Haines

Uhm... thanks for the insides Barry. A bit weird to say the least....., but I must say he put a lot of effort to raise those big stones in his front garden, a solid investment :D
Definitely a bit weird Michiel and it certainly took some effort to raise those stones as you say, never mind transporting them into his garden in the first place.
I believe 2 of those large stones traveled 8,000 miles all the way from the Falklands!
No doubt he will be remembered in some 4,000 years time when the rest of us will be long forgotten. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Incidentally we had a large slate stone (weighing only a couple of tons) that we selected from the nearby local Delabole slate quarry. They delivered it OK but much to our annoyance they dumped it on it's side several feet from where we wanted it erected in our front garden :facesmack: :facesmack: :facesmack:
The locals thought we were a bit weird (I am sure they are correct :LOL: :LOL: )
They all turned out in the street to see us struggle, thankfully our neighbouring farmer came along with his tractor and helped us get it into position.

This tractor is quite a contrast to the stones as the lazy farmer just left it to rot in the corner of the field, no doubt that will perish in a mere 100 years time though. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Cheers Barry

JimCollum

Big fan of your photography as always Jim.

These are iconic.

When are you publishing a book?

- Marc
thanks Marc!

most of the time, my stuff isn't 'popular' as much as an acquired taste :) Good to know there's still an audience

no idea on the book. although if I did, I'd be more inclined to publish a handmade one with platinum prints as pages.. maybe an edition of 10 or something. As far as color goes, I'm in the middle of learning tricolor carbon printing.. we have one of the best printers in the world living in town.. and he's a friend to boot

JimCollum

Indeed. Would you like to give some hints on how you got these beautiful colors?
Sure!.. not really one who believes in technical secrets.. :)

I use SilverEfex for all of my B/W processing. I have a various number of presets for different split tones. One of my favorite is a split tone that goes from a slightly warm shadow to a neutral upper mid tone/highlights.

take the original color image, process it in b/w.. with in this case, a warm split tone. you're now left with the original color layer on the bottom, the warm tone on top.

copy original and put above the b/w layer.

change mode to color

dial down opacity to suit your taste in saturation (mine's about 60%)

(a note.. when I do b/w processing. .i always add grain.. i really dislike 'clean' images.. reality is never really that 'clean'.. and i like the aesthetic of the sleight grain)

JimCollum

Kirk
thanks Kirk! appreciate the complement!

JimCollum

Thank you very much, Jim! Will try
if you do, post some results!

(oh.. one of the other things is the type of light I shoot in as well.. I almost never shoot if there's open sunlight.. overcast, foggy, before sun rises, after sun sets.. etc)

f/otographer

still playing around seeing what it can do.

This morning took the Nikkor 50mm 1.2 down to the Boardwalk in foggy weather to try that one out on some familiar shots.

I do believe i'll be giving up my D800E

all w. Nikkor 50mm 1.2 shot @ f1.2

Wow....all I can say is wow. These images are simply humbling. The word 'timeless' comes to mind. Very, very well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.