The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchew

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

I hate you :D
Yeah, me too ... :eek:
:D

Happy shooting, Dave !
Kind regards.
Hehehe. I knew six months ago this was the lens I really wanted to pair with the camera, but it took me that long to get past the, "that's just dumb money" aspect. Hmm; or maybe it just took me that long to save enough! IDK...

It is quite an interesting lens. There are other SLR wides that probably perform as well or better, but I want to stay true to the form factor of this camera. The biggest lens I have is the 55mm FE.

The only rangefinder I ever used was a Contax, but I only had a 50mm for that. I can't imagine how people used this lens on a rangefinder, especially with film's lack of immediate feedback. Must have been a heck of a learning curve.

Dave

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

still playing around seeing what it can do.

This morning took the Nikkor 50mm 1.2 down to the Boardwalk in foggy weather to try that one out on some familiar shots.

I do believe i'll be giving up my D800E

all w. Nikkor 50mm 1.2 shot @ f1.2
Jim, just a humble IMO comment, but these images do not appear to achieve the same level of acutance (edge resolution/focus accuracy) as your similar D800E shots with that lens. Not saying it's bad, but it is notable.

f/otographer

My daughter, some dancing at a recent chili cook off, and an old Yashica Electro shot. First three are from the Minolta MC Rokkor PF 55/1.7, one of my favorite Rokkors that I havent been giving enough shoot time on my A7. That needs to change. The next two are from my venerable ML 50/1.7 and the last is 'lens unremembered'.

alll to soon the ravages of time (steals from us our youth)

stompey stomp (I think every child everywhere makes a beeline for every puddle ever)

the fairy queen holds court

cutting a rug in the golden years

Electro

epiphany (a sudden understanding as to the basic nature of things)

D

Deleted member 7792

Been a long time since I posted...

First image from my WATE that arrived yesterday :)

It's been a long time since I shot something this wide. Gotta pay more attention to the corners!

Dave
Congrats Dave. I knew you'd arrive at that destination eventually. It was worth the wait, pun intended. :ROTFL:

The WATE is the best super-wide IMHO for the a7R. Here's a shot from a few days ago using the WATE and ISO 3200.

Joe

dunders

Subscriber Member

Inspired by Jim Collum, I set about similar processing using Perfect Effects 8, but I soon got distracted by the possibilities and ended up with this:

Which I quite like, especially given that PE8 was a freebie!

C&C always welcome!

JimCollum

Jim, just a humble IMO comment, but these images do not appear to achieve the same level of acutance (edge resolution/focus accuracy) as your similar D800E shots with that lens. Not saying it's bad, but it is notable.
you're probably right.. the D800E shots were done with the Zeiss ZF.2 21mm, and these were done with the Nikkor 50 1.2. ..both wide open. The 21mm is unbelievably sharp wide open, while the 50mm has a slight edge glow.

good observation

JMaher

There are son many great pictures I am tempted to buy an A7 or A7r to compliment my EM-1. However I have an acquaintance whose work I admire who shoots a D800E and an A7r.

In asking his advice most of his comment very very positive except for the following: The only other downside is when using flash. The first-curtain is mechanical (due to the 36mp sensor), so the curtain must close before opening for the exposure. This causes about an 1/8 second delay. This is no problem for model shoots, but it would be a problem if you were shooting moving kids.

Could any of you with the Sony comment on this?

Thanks for any guidance.

Jim

D

Deleted member 7792

Handheld with the Sony FE 70-200mm:

Joe

Godfrey

There are son many great pictures I am tempted to buy an A7 or A7r to compliment my EM-1. However I have an acquaintance whose work I admire who shoots a D800E and an A7r.

In asking his advice most of his comment very very positive except for the following: The only other downside is when using flash. The first-curtain is mechanical (due to the 36mp sensor), so the curtain must close before opening for the exposure. This causes about an 1/8 second delay. This is no problem for model shoots, but it would be a problem if you were shooting moving kids.

Could any of you with the Sony comment on this?
Shooting fast moving subjects which move around a lot, I stick with my E-M1. It's just a much more responsive camera.

Haven't noticed any big problems using the A7 with flash, however, but I've only used flash with it a couple of times. All people shots though. Turn off EFCS on the A7 and it's the same as the A7r with respect to shutter timing. The delay isn't 1/8 second (125ms), it's more like 40-60ms ... about what my Nikon film SLRs do on shutter lag from the feel of it. Shot kids with them and flash for thirty years and no problems.

G

JMaher

Godfrey,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am not looking to shoot fast moving subjects with the Sony (as you stated I have my EM-1 for that).

Jim

Shac

Shooting with the A7 and Leica Telyt 400 f 6.8 last week - a somewhat different experience:D Both cropped a little
Yellow warbler

Mountain Bluebird

scho

Pale green leaves in late evening light. A7r with Hasselblad 40mm f/4 Distagon.

Joe, I'm impressed with the hues and tonal gradations that you, your A7r, and the WATE have achieved. Greens are especially hard to get right, and such vivid tones in so many images suggest oversaturation. But yours, to my eye, look like a 'real world' that I'd love to enter. And good shadow detail, too.

Thank you,

Kirk

Joe[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.