The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Was demonstrating a concept to my students and took a quick shot against the white board in the classroom to show the idea of making the mind beg for more information photographically or how to force the imagination to get into gear. Rather like how it came out actually. I wonder if my students realise just how much I use them to actualise thoughts in my head visually... :p

A7r, Pentax M85mm f2 at f2.8

douglaspboyd

There are son many great pictures I am tempted to buy an A7 or A7r to compliment my EM-1. However I have an acquaintance whose work I admire who shoots a D800E and an A7r.

In asking his advice most of his comment very very positive except for the following: The only other downside is when using flash. The first-curtain is mechanical (due to the 36mp sensor), so the curtain must close before opening for the exposure. This causes about an 1/8 second delay. This is no problem for model shoots, but it would be a problem if you were shooting moving kids.

Could any of you with the Sony comment on this?

Thanks for any guidance.

Jim
When using flash with the A7R the shutter delay approaches 1/4 sec and is very noticeable. Its very difficult to photograph grandchildren with this camera. However, there is one work-around that is very helpful. A big part of the delay is the pre-flash delay when using TTL mode. The pre-flash delay is exceptionally long on this camera due to the long delay for the mechanical first shutter. All Sony brand flashes have this terrible TTL pre-flash delay. The solution is to use a non-Sony flash that support A (Auto-flash) mode. These flashes measure the return light from the subject and automatically shut off the flash when enough light is received. There is no Pre-flash, no closed or patially closed eyes, and a much faster shutter delay. Of course you still have the A7 slow response but not as bad. If you are serious about photographing grandchildren, then get a Nikon D800E which is really fast and has only about 45 msec of shutter delay.

==Doug

JMaher

Thanks - I rarely use TTL anyway. I have fond memories of using A mode on flash that I unfortunately no longer have. It always seemed to work well and helped eliminate closed eyes as you stated.

Jim

Uaiomex

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Rock garden coming back to life. A6000 + Rhinocam + Mamiya 645 55mm f/2.8 N lens. Eight shot stitch cropped to 122 MP final image and reduced to 25% for upload. Two 100% crops below.

Carl, it's kind of funny. When I see at the full size 25% picture it doesn't look sharp to me. But when looking at the 100% crops they definitely have detail to spare. I asume it is because the Mamiya lens not having enough contrast and teeth. (perhaps?).

Hey, Carl, have you tried the Rhino in vertical position? Is it possible to shoot a final vertical 645 with a little "circus and juggling?

Thanks for everything
Eduardo

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Eduardo, Thank you. I hope you post some soon with the Super Color. I will probably get that one next time. I have the Enhanced color. Super Color should be the most flexible, since you can put filters on it to get to 665nm, 720nm, and 800nm cut off. Also, you have more color info to use in adjustments of the colors for black and white conversion.

Sony Nex7 with 665nm IR filter and Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8

Lovely picture Cindy.
My IR converted A6000 is on its way home. I got the Super Color version. Which one you have?
Best
Eduardo

D

Deleted member 7792

Joe, I'm impressed with the hues and tonal gradations that you, your A7r, and the WATE have achieved. Greens are especially hard to get right, and such vivid tones in so many images suggest oversaturation. But yours, to my eye, look like a 'real world' that I'd love to enter. And good shadow detail, too.

Thank you,

Kirk
Thanks Kirk. Welcome to my world. :D Or more accurately, to my backyard as rendered by the a7R and WATE.

Joe

Godfrey

When using flash with the A7R the shutter delay approaches 1/4 sec and is very noticeable. Its very difficult to photograph grandchildren with this camera. However, there is one work-around that is very helpful. A big part of the delay is the pre-flash delay when using TTL mode. The pre-flash delay is exceptionally long on this camera due to the long delay for the mechanical first shutter. All Sony brand flashes have this terrible TTL pre-flash delay. The solution is to use a non-Sony flash that support A (Auto-flash) mode. ...
Ah, there's why I never see this problem. I own no Sony flashes and never use TTL flash with anything but my Olympus cameras, and even there rarely. I've used the A7 with only RF flash remote triggers and simple flash units. Shutter lag is the same as for a Nikon or Leica film SLR, about 40-60 ms.

G

Barry Haines

Was demonstrating a concept to my students and took a quick shot against the white board in the classroom to show the idea of making the mind beg for more information photographically or how to force the imagination to get into gear. Rather like how it came out actually. I wonder if my students realise just how much I use them to actualise thoughts in my head visually... :p
Many thanks for my title Ben...."Begging for more"
Have been playing around with blending the image into the GetDPI background (#393939 - Not color managed) so as to avoid the conventional square/rectangular composition with border/frames...Cheers Barry

scho

Rock garden coming back to life. A6000 + Rhinocam + Mamiya 645 55mm f/2.8 N lens. Eight shot stitch cropped to 122 MP final image and reduced to 25% for upload. Two 100% crops below.

Carl, it's kind of funny. When I see at the full size 25% picture it doesn't look sharp to me. But when looking at the 100% crops they definitely have detail to spare. I asume it is because the Mamiya lens not having enough contrast and teeth. (perhaps?).

Hey, Carl, have you tried the Rhino in vertical position? Is it possible to shoot a final vertical 645 with a little "circus and juggling?

Thanks for everything
Eduardo
More likely a result of the downsampling w/o sharpening. Most high res images do not look that great when sampled down below 50%. Vertical is no problem, just bit awkward on the tripod.

Barry Haines

You can also use the GetDPI background (#393939 - Not color managed) on the background layer to now make seamless oval and circular frames...Cheers Barry

f 10

Our adventure begins.
720km across the French Alps, along the legendary route "Route des Grandes Alpes".
Unfortunately we could not go all the mountain passes.

All a7r |*most Noctilux, sometimes Zuiko 2/24mm

Status
Not open for further replies.