The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Barry, my consideration for the 18 was mainly size.
The 21 is very big and heavy it might be the best of the Distagons. As a single lens that would not have bothered me but when i take, as i often do, 3 lenses (18, 55 and 24-70 or even the 70/200)in my smallish bag to walk around the 21 would have been impossible as a WA. In prints, i print A2 on an Epson 3800, the shots with the 18 look perfect.

Would have liked the WATE, but the costs.....
Werner many thanks again for all of your good advice, most appreciated as usual.
Size and weight is critical to me like your good self, otherwise I just know I won't lug it around with me, it will just end up being left at home.
If I buy the 18mm Zeiss FE first, I think I will always be hankering for the 21mm Zeiss FE, yet if I buy the 21mm first I will be cursing the size and the extra weight.
I can envisage myself ending up buying them both and then just wishing I had bought the WATE in the first place :mad: ...But if I just buy the WATE then I will end up with nobody liking me liking me, which is what has happend to Dave with Bart and Douglas! :facesmack: (my bank manager won't be too happy either). :cry: :cry: :cry:
What a turmoil I am in :confused: and how pathetic I have become, I blame all the good friendly helpful folk here at GetDPI. :D :D :D
Cheers Barry.

Barry Haines

Barry - Thank you. Yes, that lens is sharp indeed, so much so that I keep band-aid with me just in case!!
You're most welcome Jaree.
Band-Aid what a great tip!....No more cut fingers on the FE55, yet light and small enough for any camera bag – Many thanks...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

Barry, my issue is that I want the Zeiss 18mm and the 25mm. Wish Sony would bring out their wide already so I can decide I need the zeiss instead :D
What would be perfect Ben, if Zeiss could just bring out a compact (manual in my case) 18-25mm so that the exif showed up...I am not really keen on overstretched/overworked zooms like a 16-35mm.
I would even be pretty happy if it was an f4 as long as they keep it light and compact and optically as perfect as possible for the A7/R sensor (Ohh yeah and with a sensible price tag)...Cheers Barry

W.Utsch

Thanks Barry, i should have taken more care about the symmetry on that last one...but i still like it :) my wife was in my back and pushed me a bit...:D

Your commentary about the WA's is very funny,:D:D but it tells the truth i feel pretty much the same.....

Slingers

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Here is an edit of a picture inspired by Jim Collum over in the A7R thread

NEX 7 + Zeiss FE Sonnar 35/2.8

Last edited:

Barry Haines

How much is a wate these days? Or is it a case of 'if you have to ask..'?
Hi Ben,
I can tell you precisely in UK pounds as I have literally just ordered a NEW one just a minute ago for delivery for tomorrow - Fom Harrison cameras (With no Frankenstein viewfinder).
£3420:00 + £5.95 P+P
Please excuse me while I now go into a darkened room to get over the shock of it.
I guess I have now joined the ranks of being unpopular that's if I wasn't already....I blame Dave. :D :D :D
Cheers Barry

Ben Rubinstein

I could probably stretch to £2k at a stretch, adaptors included, for a wide angle solution but that wate's somewhat way over this youngsters budget level. That's even with my birthday in a couple of weeks.

Barry Haines

I could probably stretch to £2k at a stretch, adaptors included, for a wide angle solution but that wate's somewhat way over this youngsters budget level. That's even with my birthday in a couple of weeks.

+ yikes.

+ Git

+ Fu...
good price
Maybe you should have had a wait for the FE 16-35......

Thanks Guys, I guessed me having an attack of "GAS" would make me the flavour of the week...It's strange because I blame all of you :D:D:D

jfirneno

Hi Ben,
I can tell you precisely in UK pounds as I have literally just ordered a NEW one just a minute ago for delivery for tomorrow - Fom Harrison cameras (With no Frankenstein viewfinder).
Please excuse me while I now go into a darkened room to get over the shock of it.
I guess I have now joined the ranks of being unpopular that's if I wasn't already....I blame Dave. :D :D :D
Cheers Barry
Barry:

Okay so I know the reason (after all, we all are lens addicts here to a greater or lesser extent) but wow!

I just checked it out on Amazon to see what that comes to in dollars:

Price: $6,295.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a braver man than I. My wife would poison my dinner if I started going that hog wild. But congrats and enjoy. That's a precious jewel you'll have.

Regards,
John

Congratulations! Now we're going to see three thousand pounds of WA images!

Somewhat related topic: How about its sibling, the MATE? Not many made, so not much info (but equally stratospheric prices). Has anyone seen/heard how well these work on A7/r? Especially @ 28mm?

jaree

You will like the lens. I got one 2 years back and never regretted it.

As for the price, at least the P+P was cheap.

Hi Ben,
Cheers Barry

Annna T

Congratulations! Now we're going to see three thousand pounds of WA images!

Somewhat related topic: How about its sibling, the MATE? Not many made, so not much info (but equally stratospheric prices). Has anyone seen/heard how well these work on A7/r? Especially @ 28mm?
I have read that the WATE performs better than the MATE on the A7r, but I don't remember where I read that. I find the WATE too wide for me (I'd prefer something like 18-21-24-28mm). So I'm free from GAS concerning the WATE. I'd like a moderate wa as sharp as the 55mm, don't need a fast one, but I'd like a light one. I'm waiting to see what the announced wa zoom will be, but I fear that it will be too heavy, hence why I hope we will get some moderate wa primes soon (24 or 21 would be perfect for me). We need small lenses, adapted to the philosophy of a light body.

Status
Not open for further replies.