The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

A question for you Joe,
I noticed that the WATE isn't totally devoid of colour shift, especially at the 16mm end as one would expect (certainly it's a lot better than my old CV15)...In the past I have used Cornerfix and templates etc...But I find it a drag.
As you have had your WATE longer than me and your images are all nicely cleaned up.
I expect that you are using some other method, probably LR5 (my LR is old 3.6 and I still like CS)...Any tips would be grateful...Cheers Barry

PS. Please don't say upgrade my LR3.6...I am looking for an alternative to LR and Cornerfix if possible.

D

Deleted member 7792

A question for you Joe,
I noticed that the WATE isn't totally devoid of colour shift, especially at the 16mm end as one would expect (certainly it's a lot better than my old CV15)...In the past I have used Cornerfix and templates etc...But I find it a drag.
As you have had your WATE longer than me and your images are all nicely cleaned up.
I expect that you are using some other method, probably LR5 (my LR is old 3.6 and I still like CS)...Any tips would be grateful...Cheers Barry

PS. Please don't say upgrade my LR3.6...I am looking for an alternative to LR and Cornerfix if possible.
Barry, unfortunately I can't help much for a couple of reasons. First, I rarely use the WATE at 16mm, so I don't encounter the color/colour shift as much as someone who does. Second, I use the most recent version of LR (5.4) and the DNG Flat Field plugin for those occasions where I need to correct a color shift.

Those who use Capture One report that it does a fine job of color shift correction, with an LCC frame shot with the camera/lens/aperture/ISO combo being used for the scene. Hope this helps.

Joe

Barry Haines

Barry, unfortunately I can't help much for a couple of reasons. First, I rarely use the WATE at 16mm, so I don't encounter the color/colour shift as much as someone who does. Second, I use the most recent version of LR (5.4) and the DNG Flat Field plugin for those occasions where I need to correct a color shift.

Those who use Capture One report that it does a fine job of color shift correction, with an LCC frame shot with the camera/lens/aperture/ISO combo being used for the scene. Hope this helps.

Joe
Many thanks Joe most appreciated.
I think I need to bite the bullet and just upgrade my LR and get to grips with it like everybody else...Or just shoot BW at the 16mm end where it shows up the most.
Thanks again...Barry

dwood

I think I need to bite the bullet and just upgrade my LR and get to grips with it like everybody else...Or just shoot BW at the 16mm end where it shows up the most.
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't let an older version of s/w (LR 3.6) stand in your way of producing the very best images that you can, or force you to work in way that's compromised. LR 5.4 is pretty darn good, and I'm sure you'd be up to speed in no time. I'd be willing to watch after your WATE while you learn LR 5.4, if that would help :D

Barry Haines

Doug, you are absolutely correct LR3.6 is probably good enough for most things and certainly a good starting point for a novice like me (I really should take a look at it but I am so busy nowadays)...I could be entirely wrong on this but doesn't the DNG Flat Field Plugin only works with LR5+?
The DFFP would be my main reason for upgrading my LR3.6 as I am entirely comfortable still using CS - I have so many filters, actions and scripts that get the job done quickly I would be loathed to say cheerio to them (as they are not compatible with LR).
BTW - Thanks for the kind offer to look after my WATE while I am back to school again...You can look after my parents as well if you like? :)
Cheers Barry

dwood

Doug, you are absolutely correct LR3.6 is probably good enough for most things and certainly a good starting point for a novice like me (I really should take a look at it but I am so busy nowadays)...I could be entirely wrong on this but doesn't the DNG Flat Field Plugin only works with LR5+?
The DFFP would be my main reason for upgrading my LR3.6 as I am entirely comfortable still using CS - I have so many filters, actions and scripts that get the job done quickly I would be loathed to say cheerio to them (as they are not compatible with LR).
BTW - Thanks for the kind offer to look after my WATE while I am back to school again...You can look after my parents as well if you like? :)
Cheers Barry
Hi Barry - not sure if LR 5 or greater is required for the DNG Flat Field plugin or not. Totally understand the apprehension about moving from a comfortable workflow to something a bit different. Regarding the WATE, I'd be happy to look after your parents, your friends, etc. Whatever is required :D

CharlesK

Joe
Hi Barry,
Congratulations on the WATE!!! I had no intention of purchasing the WATE either, as I had the 21 SEM with M240. But I have been amazed with the IQ of the WATE combined with the A7r and Novoflex adapter. My workflow combines the latest Lr 5.4, and to date I have had no issues with color shifts, comparable to the M240. I use all 16, 18 and 21 FL's, and I have not needed to compensate for color shifts. I still have the occasional color shifts even with the M240 with WA's.

Slingers

Cheers Barry
The flat field plugin works with lightroom 4.0 or higher. I use it with version 4.4 without any problems.

Barry Haines

Hi Barry - not sure if LR 5 or greater is required for the DNG Flat Field plugin or not. Totally understand the apprehension about moving from a comfortable workflow to something a bit different. Regarding the WATE, I'd be happy to look after your parents, your friends, etc. Whatever is required :D

Doug...You have absolutely no idea what you would be letting yourself in for...Be afraid, be very afraid!
Now that's what I call “Friends with Benefits”....Cheers Barry

Hi Barry,
Congratulations on the WATE!!! I had no intention of purchasing the WATE either, as I had the 21 SEM with M240. But I have been amazed with the IQ of the WATE combined with the A7r and Novoflex adapter. My workflow combines the latest Lr 5.4, and to date I have had no issues with color shifts, comparable to the M240. I use all 16, 18 and 21 FL's, and I have not needed to compensate for color shifts. I still have the occasional color shifts even with the M240 with WA's.

Many thanks Charles, I have a confession that your WATE images on another thread (which I love BTW) were very instrumental in me getting my WATE (That Vs. lugging both a 18mm and 21mm Distagon around all day).
I am sharing my Voigtlander VM adapter currently with both the CV35/1.2 and the WATE which is not ideal, so I will probably spring for the Novoflex adapter the next time around, not that the VM doesn't work fine but just to see how good the Novoflex ones are that everybody raves about.
Also very pleased with the WATE it's a great lightweight lens solution that is amazingly sharp corner to corner at F8 where I would use it mostly. All 3 focal lengths (and in between I am happy to say) are brilliant.
Re: LR5.4...It's becoming evident from the responses that LR is the way forward (Glad to hear you are not getting any colour shifts)...I think I need to upgrade and probably get a new PC or a Mac to go with it while I am at it....Thanks again Barry

The flat field plugin works with lightroom 4.0 or higher. I use it with version 4.4 without any problems.
Thanks for that Slingers, that's very interesting to know...I knew it didn't go with my LR3.6 - I just wasn't sure which versions it commenced from...Thanks again Barry

Godfrey

Hi Barry - not sure if LR 5 or greater is required for the DNG Flat Field plugin or not. Totally understand the apprehension about moving from a comfortable workflow to something a bit different. ...
According to the download page, LR 4 or later.

The improvements in the raw conversion engine with LR5 alone are worth it; the control improvements and new UI for applying adjustments make more sense to me as well.

See Julianne Kost's Lightroom pages for details on the new features and differences. The "new features" and "getting started with Lightroom 5" are very useful starting points. Julieanne Kost. Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist, Adobe Systems, Inc. Adobe Lightroom tutorials.

G

Godfrey

y'all keep pumping out these great pix ...

my conference commitments end next friday. then i'm taking a couple days off and will dust off the cameras.

G

Knorp

Bart, did this building collapse while renovating or is this part of the plan? :confused:
Usually I see this building dayly but i am not in town at the moment.
Hi Michiel,

not sure the building actually collapsed by incident, seems more like intentional applied brute force to me.
But than, perhaps it had flaws after all ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

According to the download page, LR 4 or later.

The improvements in the raw conversion engine with LR5 alone are worth it; the control improvements and new UI for applying adjustments make more sense to me as well.

See Julianne Kost's Lightroom pages for details on the new features and differences. The "new features" and "getting started with Lightroom 5" are very useful starting points. Julieanne Kost. Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist, Adobe Systems, Inc. Adobe Lightroom tutorials.

G
Many thanks Godfrey for all the information and link etc...
The latest LR looks the way to go forward from what you have written.
Look forward to seeing your images again soon.
Cheers Barry

scho

Two more panos with the A7r on a rhinocam adapter with Hassy lenses.

Taughannock Falls overlook view Hasselblad 80mm Planar 8 images stitched in AutoPano Pro3. If you look at the original notice people visible on lower viewing platform and another overlook on the high cliff to the left. The falls has a drop of 315 ft.

Original

100% crop

Cayuga Lake looking north from Toro Run vineyard. 6 image stitch with the Hasselblad 40mm Distagon.

Original

100% crop

JimCollum

Just taking the a7r to old familiar haunts in the local area

.. Zeiss ZF 100mm f2.0, Santa Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.