The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonas

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

This guy made lovely, real sepia photographs, with this camera, on the street.
Developed right in the box and fixated outside.
Hi Michiel,

Great guy, great image.
How do you find the C/Y35/1.4 on the A7R? I'm looking for something that can replace my RX1. So far every 35mm lens I tried with my A7 has fallen short.
...and another question; normally I would have expected the left side of the image to be blurred more than the background in the center. Here I see the opposite. Do you recall what aperture you used for this image? If wide open, is that the common result (probably caused by mechanical vignetting and effectively a smaller aperture around the edges of the image)?

regards,

Jonas

Barry Haines

Hi Michiel,

Great guy, great image.
How do you find the C/Y35/1.4 on the A7R? I'm looking for something that can replace my RX1. So far every 35mm lens I tried with my A7 has fallen short.
...and another question; normally I would have expected the left side of the image to be blurred more than the background in the center. Here I see the opposite. Do you recall what aperture you used for this image? If wide open, is that the common result (probably caused by mechanical vignetting and effectively a smaller aperture around the edges of the image)?

regards,

Jonas
Hi Jonas...I am sure Michiel will answer you shortly:)...But I suspect the mystery of the non symmetrical plane of focus is probably due to a tilt adapter...see link below....Cheers Barry
Tilt Contax C/Y Lens to Sony E-Mount Adapter NEX-3 NEX-5 NEX-3C NEX-5N NEX-7 | eBay

Jonas

Hi Jonas...I am sure Michiel will answer you shortly:)...But I suspect the mystery of the non symmetrical plane of focus is probably due to a tilt adapter...see link below....Cheers Barry
Tilt Contax C/Y Lens to Sony E-Mount Adapter NEX-3 NEX-5 NEX-3C NEX-5N NEX-7 | eBay
Hi Barry,
Lol. OK. So Michiel uses on of those? Interesting! If this tilt adapter was used here I have to say it was to a good effect as the women to the left are better sharp than blurred in this case. But I'm not used to look at street images taken this way. Thank you Barry!

Rawfa

Another with the ZM85/2 + A7R

Love the composition and the subject. The treament is just perfect for a nostalgic warm feeling. Would you share your process? My process is usually very agressive and now that I´ve started getting some paid gigs I´m trying to be more polivalent.

f/otographer

The CY 35mm Distagon, like almost all Contax Zeiss lenses, is a superb lens. Some of the best glass ever to be made for the 35mm format. You might also want to check out the Y part of the the CY equation, namely Yashica ML lenses. The ML's were made in the same Tomioka factory as the Japanese made Contax Zeiss lenses and by the time the second series of ML lenses came out Yashica had learned a lot from Zeiss and the ML's directly benefited from this.

For instance, there is an fairly persistent rumor that when Yashica made minor changes to the body of the lenses from series 1 to series 2 it ran the numbers on what it would cost to produce the ML 50/1.7 along side the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7. The bean counters at Yashica discovered it would be cheaper to simply make more of the Zeiss Planar innards then it needed for the Contax lens and then use this glass in the ML 50 as well. It would have been more expensive to have two different manufacturing runs for a similar lens. So there is a very good chance that the second series ML 50/1.7 is a Zeiss Planar in disguise, albeit with the Yashica ML coating instead of the Zeiss T*. The ML coating is, by the way, one of the best of the old coatings and compares very nicely to the Zeiss version.

A neat caveat to this is that the ML 50/1.7 body is all metal, whereas the Planar 50/1.7 has a plastic barrel. Strange but true. Yashica also did little things to keep the ML line competitive or superior to the Zeiss glass, like giving the ML 50/1.4 an 8 bladed aperture where the Zeiss 50/1.4 has a 6 bladed design. Also, the ML 35/2.8 focuses a bit closer then the Zeiss 35/2.8.

Which brings me to the whole reason for this post. If you are looking for a nice 35mm lens for the A7 then give the ML 35/2.8 a try. Thing is, for some reason I cannot figure out, the lens is fairly rare. It simply doesnt come up for sale that often. Dont get me wrong, you can find it...but it is a bit elusive. I searched for about a year until the timing was right and I nabbed a series 1 ML 35/2.8 from the auction site. The series 2 is supposed to be a smidge better.

Here are some examples from my ML 35 on the A7.

Jonas

(...) You might also want to check out the Y part of the the CY equation, namely Yashica ML lenses. The ML's were made in the same Tomioka factory as the Japanese made Contax Zeiss lenses and by the time (...)
Thanks a lot for that well written reply. I knew parts only of the interesting Yashica ML story.

Your images are well rendered. Maybe the last one shows a smidge of disturbing bokeh (and I guess that is at f/2.8).

Well, I'm looking for something at least as fast as the truly great RX1 Sonnar 35/2.0 lens. As I mentioned I have tried several ones, often side by side. The last comparison I made was between the RX1 and the A7 with the Minolta MD Rokkor 35/1.8 and then the SMC-P Pentax FA31/1.8 Limited. The RX1 had no problem winning the total competition.

Big discussion, many suggestions, a lot of talk at another forum and Now I'm getting more interested in the C/Y 35/1.4. I one owned a good copy but it wasn't that fun as a normal lens with an APS-C camera so I sold it. I shouldn't have done so.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Great nailshots Georg, 2 doesn't do too much for me (I prefer all sharp vs. bokeh in these type of shots) but 1, 3 and 4 together would make an excellent triptych when printed large and hung together.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

Hi Pegelli,

Thanks. This idea is somewhat on my mind in deed. I am not happy with my post processing, but it is the "goofing stage", making a few test shots, and goofing around with it.

The age of the horse fence and location is somewhat special. That triggered the idea when I was walking around there yesterday with my 24-70.

I am looking at some "Niche stuff" from Novoflex here:

Novoflex - Tilt-/Shift Bellows

Great nailshots Georg, 2 doesn't do too much for me (I
prefer all sharp vs. bokeh in these type of shots) but 1, 3 and 4 together would make an excellent triptych when printed large and hung together.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Damn you Barry was thinking of selling the 55mm and you keep coming up with winners. LOL

Love the one above

Guy Mancuso

Yea going to keep it. I really don't want to sell anything at this point. Im tired of it. LOL

I just need a 16-50 for the A77II so just need a few dollars more. Hiding this purchase. LOL

Barry Haines

Yea going to keep it. I really don't want to sell anything at this point. Im tired of it. LOL

I just need a 16-50 for the A77II so just need a few dollars more. Hiding this purchase. LOL
Guy, That's great news...I had a sneaky suspicion that you wanted to replace it with that 50mm Art lens. :eek:
I know that you want to keep your choices open with the A system but the 50mm is just too close to the 35mm AoV for my particular liking.

Guy Mancuso

Yea why I like the 55 but won't work on the A77II but thats okay. I have it covered

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Michiel,

Great guy, great image.

regards,

Jonas
I really like that lens. It has lots of character but is by no means small nor cheap. I don't mind it is a bit big. Don't forget to buy an all black adapter on the inside. Novoflex.
This was shot @ 1.4 or 2. Can't remember exactly. It has a lovely separation wide open.
As Barry already mentioned I used a tilt adapter, which must have been moved slightly by accident. I was not planning on any tilt in this shot but it turned out well.

scho

Three panos with the A7R using Mamiya 55mm f/2.8N on a Rhinocam adapter/stitching plate. Old boathouse in the city park that was once the Wharton Studios silent movie headquarters.

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

Original

100% Crop

f/otographer

Well, I'm looking for something at least as fast as the truly great RX1 Sonnar 35/2.0 lens. As I mentioned I have tried several ones, often side by side. The last comparison I made was between the RX1 and the A7 with the Minolta MD Rokkor 35/1.8 and then the SMC-P Pentax FA31/1.8 Limited. The RX1 had no problem winning the total competition.
Ah, I see. The RX1 Sonnar is an amazing lens. With the added benefit of being designed specifically for the sensor. Thats gonna be hard to beat. The Zeiss 35/1.4 is probably your best best. Or maybe a 35mm Summicron. Or, if a slightly tighter focal length would work, the Voigtlander SL 40mm f/2 ASPH (series 1) might work. It was made in CY mount along with the entire SL line back in the day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.