The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Thanks gentlemen! I was a bit hanging over the cliff for it :)
I know the feeling, literally! I used this picture here - ruthelessly slipping in a non Sony file here - to teach students back in Ireland the most important aspect of Landscape photography...SAFETY FIRST! I explained how this picture came about, and why it became a limited edition as I never would attemot such undertaking again in my life.

In short, huge atlantic Seagulls attacking me in waves from above, I am defending my head with a Olympus camera in my left hand, whacking it against the incoming gulls, while in my right hand, my arm extended to the maximum over the cliff, I tried to shoot with a phase one, then sony, while risking to loose footing. A surreal dance on the edge of the cliffs so to speak.

This scene here can not be seen from a boat or otherwise, as the entrance is blocked by a huge rock, hence it can not be seen either way, only by doing what I stupidly did there to get a shot.

Solution: Use metal bars to extend the camera over the edge of cliffs.

"Cliffhanger"

scho

Checking out an old SMC Pentax A-645 45mm f/2.8 lens on the A7R via Rhinocam. Crop from A six shot stitch at f/16. There was a lot of CA and purple fringing, but it was easily removed in LR.

Original

Curious assortment of floating debris near St Anthony Falls on the Mississippi river (that's a decoy, btw, not a real duck.)

a7R with FE 70-200mm F4 at 200mm @ f9.0

Michiel Schierbeek

Georg, what a story. Those seagulls can be quiet aggresive once you come close to theit biotope. These are from below in the shadow of the cliffs. Seagulls were making a lot of noice around me but not really attacking.

Vattetot sur mer. The cliffs from below.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Georg, what a story. Those seagulls can be quiet aggresive once you come close to theit biotope.
I learned later that evening that it was their breeding ground and as far as the gulls were concerned, I was there at the wrong time. :D To be honest, I knew that gulls are not to be taken lightly, but the wolf like attacking behaviour was amazing. That whole thing lasted more than 20 minutes, butc when I nearly puked my guts out was the next day in a boat. First time I saw the surrounding cliffs from that perspective, and boy oh boy, there was nothing but a sliver of bog land, ready to move at any time, and exactly this happens regulary. People think they stand on solid ground, but it is just a very thin part of wet bog on granit. The rain, the wind, and a stupid pohotographer :ROTFL: is all it takes for disaster to strike.

After that event I educated myself on cliffs, fascinated by the landscape on the one hand as a photographer, but curious on all things concerning biotope and geology at the edge of the water world as well.

Some cliffs at around 2,000 feet for example can generate their own biotope, and - hold on to your butts - they generate their own weather in deed. So yes, it happens often that people are just blown over the edge out of nowhere so to speak. Problem is that most people never experienced before a strong wind knocking them off their feet.

I bring 96 Kilo to the scale without a backpack and I remember well when this happend to me first. You look like an idiot mumbling "wtf was that?"

Cliffs, it's a wonderful and fascinating world in deed, but one has to approach them with respect and a little knowledge on the inherent dangers. Pissing contests - believe me, I have seen this happening with adults! - who gets closer to the edge and stuff, are just plain idiotic.

P.S.

Just a thought... Pictures really come to live for me when the photographer has something to tell about them, particulary landscape shots, but not exclusively. Mhhh, while chatting away here, an idea came to my mind. would it not be nice to have a thread, regardless what camera was used, where one posts 1-3 pictures and tells a short story that belongs to them.

Last edited:

W.Utsch

To add a cliff, though a very different one:

"The Cliff Of The Conero And The Adriatic Sea"

Portonovo, Marche, Italy
close to Ancona

DSC08248.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

It is very nice to see the difference of the North in Michiels cliff pics and the South from the Adriatic where the air is much more humid and the sea looks very other.

But for sure i don't want to compare my shot with these great cliff shots from Michiel which really stand out!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

You are not supposed to use that R/100 around here anymore :cussing:

;):ROTFL:

It is a wonderful contrast and shows the difference in weathering (upper part of cliffs) and erosion (base of cliffs) in a mediterranean environment contrasting the Atlantic shores.

sniff... this is an unfullfilled dream of mine gentlemen, shooting a cliffs portfolio (windstill and storm) around the world.... sigh!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Short little story to that picture. ( I have no access to my raw files right now, so this is just a subquality jpg from long ago) I printed it 60 inch wide on Hahnemühle Bamboo 290gsm and framed it in a Halbe Alu frame behind antireflex glass.

Exhibition time. Besides A2 and A1 framed shots, i had 6 of that enormous size as well, and after the proceedure of placing them on walls and giving them a final clean, I was somehwat exhausted from the weeks of preperation before, excited and nervous about the exhibition, but relieved as well that all was done now. So I grabbed a coffee and sat quiet in a corner when some first visitors came and had a look. To my astonishment, a great lot of them just stood there in fron of it, then stepped back and took a photo with their phone. :ROTFL:

Well, surely I was pleased on such reaction I have to say.

One Lady did that and then sat down beside me and started talking about the shot, not knowing that i did that. She was taken by the colors and the size of course and really liked that vista. When she was again talking about the colors I answered that this came about at 4:30 am and the first light hitting the rocks and setting them on fire. She looked at me like "DOH?!?" then laughed, and realised that it was me who did that. I explained about the danger of the seals in the caves and that we tried to get in and shoot some pictures but were attacked right away so we chose not to disturb them.

She bought it later that day and I delievered it to her personally as she had a holiday home not so far away from my place.

W.Utsch

Wow, thank's Georg.
Downloaded, have to read it.

The area around Ancona is very interesting in every respect and it is a italian landscape that is not to much visited.

I intend to go there more often. Not only the geology but als the culture is fascinating. I bought some Cd's of "Gastone Pietrucci and La Mancha" with incredible local Music! And we had o/c lot's of Conero's Wine.....

More Pic's to come....

Michiel Schierbeek

Georg Baumann; Just a thought... Pictures really come to live for me when the photographer has something to tell about them said:
Good idea and could be done as a new thread in Other discussions. Please do!
It is good when themes trancend brands. :D

Funny how a subject suddenly can stir up a lot of enthousiasm on the forum :)

Werner, loveley shots from the Adriatic coast!

Same cliff from two sides at Etretat.

W.Utsch

Thank's
Superb shots of an extraordinary scenery, Michiel!

I think Georg's idea of a subject or story orientated thread is a very good one.

Otherwise i like it if you can respond spontanous here (remember the "Red" theme we had some time ago) to someones post with pics of the same or alike theme/story...
then it gets lost again etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.