The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Thank you Barry, these Assisi Cathedral and other shots look quite good in color but a little boring, so i tried an alternative processing that fits the impression and atmosphere i had and felt on location.

“Crossraods"

DSC08584.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

bcm

bcm, allow me to add the following for your memory:

Beautiful place, isn't it?
I had not that much to carry :)
Yeah it is an amazing place. I'd take a lot more photos if I was back there again with the A7R that's for sure. Towards the end of my holiday I started losing interest in carrying that lump of camera + L series lenses around.

Nice shots.

W.Utsch

bcm: Thats exactly why happened to me, i lost interest in carrying around my 5DMKII and the L's, my wife got mad etc ,last but not least i had no more fun in traveling with cam's and lenses. Than came the Sigmas DP2+3 M and now the Sony's and i have fun again...more than ever, and my wife loves me:)
Greetings to Down Under
Werner

D

Deleted member 7792

I know Yates Mill when I see it...
Yep, that's the place. Earlier this year, they drained the mill pond and repaired the mill. The new wood hasn't weathered much yet, so it appears lighter in photos than the siding.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Excellent Joe :thumbs: - The A7R looks to be a great choice for an IR conversion...I really wanted to know how the A7R turned out specifically with an IR 665nm conversion and now I know...Many thanks - Cheers Barry.
Thanks Barry. Yes, the a7R is an excellent candidate for IR conversion. Unlike DSLR conversions, no need to have the camera's AF "calibrated" for a specific lens. My conversion was done by Life Pixel and is the 665nm Enhanced Color option. I was inspired by Don Libby's results posted in this thread. Works a treat.

Joe

iiiNelson

Yep, that's the place. Earlier this year, they drained the mill pond and repaired the mill. The new wood hasn't weathered much yet, so it appears lighter in photos than the siding.

Joe
That's cool. I haven't been out there since last spring. I shot some of my friend's wedding pics there.

Barry Haines

Thanks Barry. Yes, the a7R is an excellent candidate for IR conversion. Unlike DSLR conversions, no need to have the camera's AF "calibrated" for a specific lens. My conversion was done by Life Pixel and is the 665nm Enhanced Color option. I was inspired by Don Libby's results posted in this thread. Works a treat.

Joe
Thanks again Joe - Re: The AF calibration information and also for the link (some really excellent images on that thread).
Life Pixel certainly have the experience for doing a decent conversion that I would trust...The choice of places to do a IR conversion in the UK was a bit limited the last time I looked...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

Joe
Hi Joe, I took a look at your excellent A7R WATE IR image on the thread that you kindly sent me... http://www.getdpi.com/forum/589555-post167.html
I was also hoping to have a bash at doing some IR photography with the WATE on the A7R but to first start out in the old conventional way i.e. Tripod/R72 filter/Long exposure/ etc...
Then perhaps someday get LifePixel to carry out an A7R IR 665nm conversion like your goodself, as that would be a much better choice.

First of all I went ahead and purchased the Leica WATE (14473) filter holder for my 10 stop ND (B+W) filter and was just about to get a IR R72 filter when I thought I should at least try out the ND filter first.

You can still just see the 2 slits on the filter holder, even though I have already added the thin black card mask to blank them out.

I was initially plagued with problems from the filter holder, entirely due to the 2 slits in the actual holder itself - I fully understand why they are there for the Leica M’s viewfinder.
If the sun was behind me, the light would leak in from the rear 2 slits and combine with the light coming in from the front giving me this unwanted effect.

Having eventually overcome the problem of blanking out the 2 slits with a homemade cut thin dark card mask (similar to the M8 mask provided), which then has to be stuck down very carefully with self adhesive tape all around the slits to prevent any further light leaks for when making long exposures, otherwise you still end up being rewarded with yet more lens flare.

Apologies for the content and quality of the images, there sole purpose was to highlight the problem.

Cheers Barry

D

Deleted member 7792

Barry, your experience highlights one major drawback of the WATE - using filters is a hassle. As you can appreciate, the camera IR conversion circumvents the filter dilemma and has happily worked out well for me. I have also found that the WATE sometimes produces IR "hot spots" when used in bright sunlight. I'm still learning.

Joe

tashley

Subscriber Member

Just about managing to drag myself away from the RX100 III for a few seconds here and there...

Status
Not open for further replies.