The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Hi Werner...As Michiel says, great to have you back again, I have been missing your regular classical Italian travel blog shots.
I personally thought you were still recovering from the shock of winning the World Cup my friend as things went a bit quiet after that :D:D:D

All excellent shots :thumbs:
Really liked the B/W image in particular...Very nicely processed...Hope all is well with your family etc...Cheers Barry
Thank you very much for you kind words, Barry!

Well basically everything is OK! Sometimes there are more important things than Photography and posting images...:) The World Cup, could be....:)
But, let me quote from one of my favorite songs: "You can checkout anytime, but you can never leave....(the Getdpi)"

High-Key, obviously:

"Jesuit Church, Stairs"

Treppe KircheHDR-2.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Barry Haines

Thank you very much for you kind words, Barry!

Well basically everything is OK! Sometimes there are more important things than Photography and posting images...:) The World Cup, could be....:)
But, let me quote from one of my favorite songs: "You can checkout anytime, but you can never leave....(the Getdpi)"
You're most welcome Werner - Good to hear all is OK.
1966 was a wonderful year (As I am sure you know :p ) - It's taken me 48 years to recover from that before getting around to joining GetDPI !!!

I took a peek at "Harold Davis" site (Very good)...So we can expect from you a lot of...Tripod/HDR bracketing/CS Lab color processing/High & Low key work in the near future...Look forward to it.

I'm still fooling around taking snaps on the hoof as the ground is just to wet to set up a tripod (or stand still to long)...But I do like to use Andreas Resch "Web Sharpener" script in CS (Lab color sharpener/contrast/saturation on layers)...Please give it a try and give us your thoughts.

Let's hope we all get around to uploading many great images here before any of us check out!

Cheers Barry

W.Utsch

Barry, i will check that sharpener script asap.
Yes, more HDR BW will be coming. HDR was completely new to me, i never liked the look, but my opinion has changed a bit.
We did a lot of PS processing, layer masks, LAB, etc. I shot a couple hundreds pics (brackets) and there is processing left for years...:)
I started with processing times of an hour per pic, now it takes about 1/2 hour.
Almost everything was done on tripod.

Here is the Studio/Atelier's first floor with kitchen and social room (here the subtle HDR works quite good):

"Studio Kuras, First Floor"

HDR, 3Shots 1,0 EV

DSC08959_HDR.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

And Barry: You know about the (non :)) goal in 66 :) :) i am still remembering and recovering..

Barry Haines

Barry, i will check that sharpener script asap.
Yes, more HDR BW will be coming. HDR was completely new to me, i never liked the look, but my opinion has changed a bit.
We did a lot of PS processing, layer masks, LAB, etc. I shot a couple hundreds pics (brackets) and there is processing left for years...:)
I started with processing times of an hour per pic, now it takes about 1/2 hour.
Almost everything was done on tripod.

Here is the Studio/Atelier's first floor with kitchen and social room (here the subtle HDR works quite good):

And Barry: You know about the (non :)) goal in 66 :) :) i am still remembering and recovering..
Excellent Werner...HDR looking more naturalistic is what I personally prefer. A good balance with indoor and outdoor lighting.

Re: Script, please do as I would be interested in what you think, especially as you have been on this particular workshop (I found it sped up my workflow for posting here)...I have likewise managed to get it down to around half an hour...It obviously downsizes the image, where you like to post full size images to Flickr.

My very basic colour workflow, treat as a rough guide only (Actually I do more than this if blending in NIK SE Pro2 or HDR)
RAW>DNG>CS RAW CONVERSION EXPOSURE ADJUSTMENTS etc...>CS TRANSFORM PERSPECTIVE>DARKEN (GRADUATE) SKY/BASE>LR5.6 MOGRIFY 2 (EXPORT FRAME...I HAVE SEVERAL LENS AND COLOURED FRAME PRESETS)>CS WEB SHARPENER SCRIPT 1600 WIDE/HIGH FOR FLICKR (Adjust opacity LAB layers for - SHARPENING, CONTRAST AND SATURATION)>FLATTEN/RGB/ASSIGN SRGB>SPOT CLEAN UP>EDIT/STROKE (INNER FRAME LINE, it stays more crisp than doing it earlier in the workflow)>SAVE.

HDR/TONEMAPPING is great if used sparingly and not just for effect to recover highlights and shadows + to seperate the tonal scale...It's the closest thing we have to Ansel Adams zone system IMO...(I'll shut up now before Michiel hits the "lecture" emoticon).

Geoff Hurst...What a marvelous player (great goal :clap::clap::clap:)...Good decision :thumbup: by the Ref, as the linesman was clearly to far away to see...Thank goodness for TV setting the record straight (we didn't want another Maradona "Hand of God" incident - Now did we!)...Cheers Barry.

biglouis

"Tear in the sky"

Sony A7+C-Summicron 40/2

A friend of mine recognised this phenomenon. It is called a 'Fallstreak Hole' and you can read about it here

Last edited:

JMaher

Thanks for all the positive comments and likes. Still trying to learn how to use this camera and get it set up.

Jim

W.Utsch

Barry my workflow is quite similar to yours. For color 95% is done in LR and i did not specially sharpen for web so far. Just downloaded the PS script.
My export to Flickr is automated via Mogrify and Lenstagger and i alway upload 100%. For print, and i print a lot, i sharpen selective in PS (LAB and layer mask)

Here is something "not so sharp":

"Levander"

DSC08210.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Barry Haines

A friend of mine recognised this phenomenon. It is called a 'Fallstreak Hole' and you can read about it here

Many thanks Louis for the extra info + link with your picture - A very interesting read indeed.
Alternatively - Some may like to believe that aliens could have made a quick crop circle in that field just before taking off in their spaceship and punching a hole in that cloud!
Cheers Barry

Barry my workflow is quite similar to yours. For color 95% is done in LR and i did not specially sharpen for web so far. Just downloaded the PS script.
My export to Flickr is automated via Mogrify and Lenstagger and i alway upload 100%. For print, and i print a lot, i sharpen selective in PS (LAB and layer mask)
Here is something "not so sharp":

Many thanks Werner, I find it very interesting how everybody's decision making (workflow) process branches off into completely different directions (sometimes earlier or later in the process) - The beauty is that there is no right or wrong way of making images (sometimes a preferred one though).
i.e. You like to upload to Flickr full size JPEGs and happy to share presumably, while I have chosen to upload smaller images. I do this because I once discovered that somebody had stolen an image of mine and passed it off as his own! - This then dissuaded me from ever uploading full size images again. Had I not had that experience I would have probably been quite content uploading full size 8bit JPEG images like yourself.
The (Free/Donation) script could be very handy for those with CS who wish to make "smaller" images (i.e. web/projection/small prints etc..) but maybe less useful to yourself.
It doesn't pay to over-sharpen those Noctilux images...Cheers Barry

"Spider" with A7 and 70-200

Kamoulox...Nice boke on the 70-200mm + Liked the Parthenay images, about 8 years ago we were hoping to spend a holiday in that particular village but the good old French air strikes put paid to that!...Cheers Barry

jlm

Workshop Member

contax G, 90mm:
same tripod position as above
tiny peppers!

jlm

Workshop Member

can't seem to get out of the apt this morning; bedroom window box, 17mm

Status
Not open for further replies.