The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Werner.. tack sharp mineral oil can !
Which 100mm lens you used?
See on top of post:

100/2 Zeiss Macro Planar in Canon ZE mount and Metabones MK IV adaptor

And thanks Barry, the compliment goes right back to you!

D

Deleted member 7792

Werner, what's been your experience with the Metabones IV adapter? I had to return two of them to B&H because they didn't work as advertised. :(

I'm using the Metabones III at present. Aperture control, IS, AF (very slow) and automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned all work fine with my Canon lenses.

Joe

Barry Haines

See on top of post:

And thanks Barry, the compliment goes right back to you!
Many thanks Werner much appreciated.
Like Joe I'm also interested how the 100mm ZE is working out on the new Metabones IV adapter in particular the automatic focus magnification when the focusing ring is turned (simply does it work or not, no need to elaborate).
I'm guessing that all the ZE lenses are chipped the same way. My interest is still in the ZE 135mm F/2 (And still the Leica 100mm f/2.8 R APO)...Cheers Barry

PS. Sorry to hear about yours Joe that's either very unfortunate or a problem needing to be resolved.

Schmiddi

I'm also interested how the 100mm ZE is working out on the new Metabones IV adapter in particular the automatic focus magnification when the focusing ring is turned (simply does it work or not, no need to elaborate).
I'm guessing that all the ZE lenses are chipped the same way.
I rented the Otus and 2/135 ZE together with a MKIII adapter this weekend - no focus magnification when turning the ring. Aperture workes as expected.

Andreas

Barry Haines

I rented the Otus and 2/135 ZE together with a MKIII adapter this weekend - no focus magnification when turning the ring. Aperture workes as expected.

Andreas
Many thanks for that information Andreas, most appreciated...That was what I feared and I doubt that the Mk4 is any different from the Mk3...Cheers Barry

Schmiddi

Barry, I think it's not fault of adapter - the lenses are fully manual and simply won't give the info to camera. The mount is designed for EOS, and Canon SLR don't need info when focus ring is turned... It might be different with upcoming manual Zeiss lenses for E-mount? We'll hopefully learn at Photokina in a few weeks (I will be there and also have contact to Sony and Zeiss arranged by German forum).
Andreas

Ben Rubinstein

A7r, Pentax M85mm f2 @ f11

My first time ever shooting Hollywood lighting. Taken me a year to persuade this girl, one of my ex students, to allow me to photograph her, she 'hates cameras', hugely self conscious. I know harsh lighting might seem counter intuitive but here it has worked perfectly to show her in a way she is comfortable with.

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Reg. the Metabones:
There is no focus magnification neither with the MK III nor with the MK IV when turning the focus ring on the lens. I think there is no information from lens to cam with the manual Zeiss lenses.
I have to press C1 for magnification. This is no problem for me.
With the Zeiss lenses the MK III only worked in the non green mode (= press the button on the adaptor with the cam on while adapting the lens with adaptor to the mount)
With the MK IV it works in "green mode" as it should. I have no problem with the MK IV and Canon or Zeiss ZE lenses i think the IV is better than the III.

Barry Haines

Many thanks both Werner and Andreas for all this info (In all honesty it’s highly appreciated by me, as I am around 250+ miles from London where most the decent camera shops are at).
So would I be right in saying zero ZE lens information (excluding camera/aperture control) is getting through from the lens to the A7/R/S cameras via the Metabones smart adapters 3&4?
I thought one of the benefits of the ZE lenses and smart adapter was that the aperture and focal length exif info (but not lens model) was still being relayed back to the camera via the chipped lenses?
(This maybe good news for lens profiles etc...) I’m not sure on this though???
Werner your Flickr/exif is coming up as 100mm @ F/2 on the MP, so just maybe this is an extra benefit over the ZF.2 mounts.
Sorry for banging on about it, I just wanted to be clear exactly on what is going on precisely.
Photokina not that far away now, Many thanks again guys...Cheers Barry

Same old technique....BLENded COlour and MOnochrome in Nik SE2 (I shall nickname for speed from now on = BLENCOMO)
Taken this afternoon at the local Gaol/Jail.

Original

D

Deleted member 7792

Barry, with Zeiss ZE lenses and the Metabones III, I get everything EXCEPT distance information and automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned. With Canon EF lenses, all functions are available to the camera including automatic focus magnification.

Joe

Barry Haines

Barry, with Zeiss ZE lenses and the Metabones III, I get everything EXCEPT distance information and automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned. With Canon EF lenses, all functions are available to the camera including automatic focus magnification.

Joe
Many thanks Joe for clarification :)
Cheers Barry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Barry it is good for lens profiles and does work in programs like LR. It will show your using for instance a Zeiss 35F2 ZE lens and will have profile for it. That was just a example. You get aperture, lens focal length and brand also in LR

Barry Haines

Barry it is good for lens profiles and does work in programs like LR. It will show your using for instance a Zeiss 35F2 ZE lens and will have profile for it. That was just a example. You get aperture, lens focal length and brand also in LR

Thanks for that Guy, it was your review that you did awhile ago together with the 55mm FE and 85mm F1.4 Zeiss that has made me still want this lens.
With all these changes in Metabones smart adapters I was having a real problem seeing exactly what it was capable of doing (or not).
Thanks again Barry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I actually did not like the auto magnification feature and turned it off. Reason being with the 55 let's say if I just touched the lens it activated which I did not always want to happen. I just set a custom function for it. Some may like that with the FE lenses but it will not work anyway with the metabones . I need to buy the IV version now for my canon 17TSE

Barry Haines

I actually did not like the auto magnification feature and turned it off. Reason being with the 55 let's say if I just touched the lens it activated which I did not always want to happen. I just set a custom function for it. Some may like that with the FE lenses but it will not work anyway with the metabones . I need to buy the IV version now for my canon 17TSE
Likewise - I only use the auto magnification occasionally on my 55mm FE, as you say it can be annoying at times if you so much as slightly touch the focusing ring (comforting to know it’s available though should you need it:)) – Better to just custom function C1 as Werner said, that’s probably what most of us do anyway.

W.Utsch

With an other Zeiss test lens: 50/2 Macro Planar ZE

The Zeisses are fantastic lenses. I tested the 100/2 MP, 50/2 MP and the 21/2.8 Distagon. The last one i would buy instantly. For the 50 and 100 i have the corresponding Leica R's (100/2.8 ApoMacro and 60/2.8 Macro) wich are different but at least on the same level.

Unfortunately Zeiss did not sell the test lenses (at test lens prices) the 21 would be mine. I don't know if it is better than the 19 R or the WATE but the copy i was using was just great.

"Shells"
HDR

DSC08999_HDR.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Michiel Schierbeek

Joe
This is important information! Thanks! My gut feeling told me already not to buy the Nikon versions of Zeiss lenses but the Canon ones. I never liked the Nikon mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.