The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Going through somewhat older neglected files while my A7R is at Sony's repair service here in Holland. My EVF stopped functioning. Looks like I will have it back in 10 days as they told me.

Subway station under construction in Naples.

Barry Haines

This is important information! Thanks! My gut feeling told me already not to buy the Nikon versions of Zeiss lenses but the Canon ones. I never liked the Nikon mount.
True Michiel I don't much care for it either...But the flip side of that coin is that the Nikon ZF.2 lenses will work on a lot more different makers cameras than the ZE via all the adapters out there..Sony, Leica, Fuji etc...
But you knew that I'm sure...But it's still nice to keep your options open.
I do think Fuji is the one to watch if Canon and Nikon don't take mirrorless serious.
Just my 2p worth.
Sorry to hear about your camera...Try not to go cold turkey without it :bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes:
Cheers Barry

Ben Rubinstein

Here is another from that shoot.

I find studio shoots very difficult with manual lenses and stopped down focusing. When shooting stopped down in a dark(ish) environment the camera is applying so much gain and has so much noise that accurate stopped down focusing, difficult enough due to the DOF, is a real challenge. I decided to go back to the past. I shot off a tripod, focused wide open where with peaking it was easy and fast and then stopped down the lens and shot. These shots in a dark room with a single strobe at f11 were possible as a result. It's slow enough and rather old fashioned but hey so was the style of lighting and composition so it didn't contradict :).

Schmiddi

So would I be right in saying zero ZE lens information (excluding camera/aperture control) is getting through from the lens to the A7/R/S cameras via the Metabones smart adapters 3&4?
No, in EXIF you'll find focal length, max aperture, actual aperture and a lens name. So all is here - when using a ZF-mount, there will be nothing...

Andreas

D

Deleted member 7792

Some may like that with the FE lenses but it will not work anyway with the metabones
Automatic focus magnification works using the Metabones III and Canon EF lenses. I have the Canon 16-35mm f/4L and the Canon 100-400mm f/4L and they both activate automatic focus magnification when the focus ring is turned. You have to mount the Metabones with the camera turned on and the button on the Metabones depressed.

I need to buy the IV version now for my canon 17TSE
I returned two of the Metabones IV adapters to B&H because they didn't work as advertised. Neither would activate auto focus magnification with the Canon EF lenses. One of the adapters had a very loose mount, and just moving the lens slightly resulted in the communication between lens and adapter to be interrupted. And both adapters appeared to have been used and returned, not good. I'm usually happy with B&H and chalk this up as an exception to their otherwise fine service.

Joe

JMaher

Ben,

I recently tried using the Rokinon 85 1.4 in E mount to manually focus in a studio environment using lights. While I could do it, it was very slow and painful at f11. In reality I had to go back to 1.4, focus and then stop down and hope I didn't move (or that the model didn't move). Results look fine but I tested it out yesterday and it was sent back this morning. Shooting wide open was fine but for my purposes it just wasn't a good choice. So now I debate waiting for a new lens announcement or buying the Sony Adapter and one of the A mount Sony 85's.

Your example looks great but I don't want to have to duplicate it for every shoot.

Jim

Ben Rubinstein

It's ok if you are in control over the shoot, i.e. a pro model or a client who is comfortable with you and/or is keeping pretty static. Like how you would shoot live subjects with sheet film for example. I think that's the closest example to be honest.

Barry Haines

Here is another from that shoot.

I find studio shoots very difficult with manual lenses and stopped down focusing. When shooting stopped down in a dark(ish) environment the camera is applying so much gain and has so much noise that accurate stopped down focusing, difficult enough due to the DOF, is a real challenge. I decided to go back to the past. I shot off a tripod, focused wide open where with peaking it was easy and fast and then stopped down the lens and shot. These shots in a dark room with a single strobe at f11 were possible as a result. It's slow enough and rather old fashioned but hey so was the style of lighting and composition so it didn't contradict :).
Hi Ben,
Very nice indeed, if I had to choose a winner between them (not that you have asked me for one) I would personally go with the second shot...My personal preference is for the girl looking into the dark space rather than have quite as much dark space pressing down upon her head...perhaps a crop would swing me back in the other direction I don't know, either way they are both excellent :thumbup:
I know this sort of thing is not easy having tried it before (mid 80's) using a LF camera. Focusing on a GG screen was not easy to see at all (Thank god for fresnel lenses).

Taken yesterday evening (This one might also benefit from a crop)...Cheers Barry
(BLENCOMO) a 2 image stitch.

f 10

We have traveled the whole French coast.
Now it is time for cornwall

Thanks Barry ;)

Barry Haines

We have traveled the whole French coast.
Now it is time for cornwall

Thanks Barry ;)
Hi Carsten,
I think I know what that wink means :D
I love the French coast...Cornwall is very similar to Brittany in a lot of ways only more tourists.
If you are serious about coming this way always happy to meet up with fellow (GetDPI) photographers...Cheers Barry

Michiel Schierbeek

Barry, I actually forgot about the flange differences between Nikon and Canon. Hope you don't mind :angel:

Lots of skyscrolling is nice :)!

Ben Rubinstein

A7r, FD 20mm @ f4 (I think)

Shooting reportage manual focus with old lenses using the A7r is really difficult. At least for me. First of all shooting with a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm, all of different ages and vastly different colour palettes is not easy. Especially when one of them turns the opposite direction than the other. Peaking in this kind of lighting is really difficult (due to the contrast) and shooting stopped down means having to zoom in to focus which is slow. The light coming through the windows begged for modern lens coatings which especially my 20mm and 85mm could really have done with. Oh and shooting reportage with a 20mm manual focus and peaking is pretty much impossible. Funnily enough, lag, with the lumina shutter release and having gotten used to it is a lot better than it once was.

Oh well it's not something I didn't know but the synagogue called me up and asked me to take a few photos at an event, I told them I could only try given that I didn't have any of the right gear. I will say this though, the AWB and skin colour in a mix of different coloured fluorescents and sunlight was unbelievable. Incredible. I wish, I so wish I had this sensor for a decade of wedding shooting!

Michiel Schierbeek

Now come on Henry, don't let it get to you.......

(no personal intentions ment here whoever's name might be Henry :))

Status
Not open for further replies.