The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Yeppers, thanks a lot Carl, just back from a vacation and saw the thread on sony techcam examples. I am intruiged by it since it was announced. Brilliant for a really small tech cam setup that can go anywhere.

Where do you feel are it's limitations if any?

What do you think could be improved on the mechanical precision or built quality side, if any?

Heck Carl, it looks really stunning and yeah, black would have been my choice as well.

Barry Haines

Fantastic photograph's Barry, especially like the Tin mines!
Upper corners? Lensshade?
Thanks Michiel...It's a lovely area that I'm sure Tim, Jono and Quentin are only too familiar with. Having risked life and limb climbing down to the bottom in just a pair of shoes (The crazy things that we photographers do :loco:) to get a slightly different angle from what most other people shoot, it then turned out that the best images were those at the safer half way down level.
To answer your question though, to my shame (Humility is good for the soul) I forgot to remove the very slight vignette in CS ACR at the very beginning :facesmack:. After having cooked it through about 30 different filters, it became exaggerated somewhat lets say as I progressed.

Re: French facades #162...Love those type of images - I regularly traveled to the Dordogne shooting this type of thing before I had to become a parent sitter. Hope to be able to return one day to my drain pipes and Foie gras.

PS. I just noticed that you were using your C/Y 28mm Distagon isn't it a great performing lens on the A7R...I love mine.

Storm brewing...

Original

Last edited:

scho

Yeppers, thanks a lot Carl, just back from a vacation and saw the thread on sony techcam examples. I am intruiged by it since it was announced. Brilliant for a really small tech cam setup that can go anywhere.

Where do you feel are it's limitations if any?

What do you think could be improved on the mechanical precision or built quality side, if any?

Heck Carl, it looks really stunning and yeah, black would have been my choice as well.
Hi Georg. I haven't used the Actus enough yet to identify any limitations. At this time my inexperience is the limiting factor:eek: Build quality is excellent, movements are smooth and precise, and well thought out design and engineering. Setup is quick and easy with innovative lens plate design that just slots in and locks down positively. Bellows just snaps on via magnets and I haven't experienced any issues with the bellows coming off in use. If you need more extension for longer lenses you can get an additional 45mm just by rotating the swing unit 180 degrees. So far I've only used MF lenses of 40mm to 120mm and LF lenses 65mm to 135mm with no problems.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Bellows just snaps on via magnets and I haven't experienced any issues with the bellows coming off in use.
Thanks for your impressions Carl! Sounds very good to me. What about this magnetic holder. Is that tightly covering the entire circle or just in a few spots. Dust and dirt entering the bellow / camera would concern me a bit.

scho

Thanks for your impressions Carl! Sounds very good to me. What about this magnetic holder. Is that tightly covering the entire circle or just in a few spots. Dust and dirt entering the bellow / camera would concern me a bit.
Seems to be a quite tight fit of the magnetic rings all the way around on both ends. No visible gaps. There is also a short index pin on the forward side of the bellows ring and corresponding indent hole on the back of the lens plate ring where it attaches and insures alignment.

One issue I did have was that the bottom rail does not fit tightly in my RRS QR clamp so you will need either a RRS screw type clamp or an arca swiss QR clamp for the tripod head.

W.Utsch

Jlm: like that setup but the tripod is definitively way to big :)
Barry: Tin Mines is gorgeous!
Michiel: #162, i like it very much.

A nice weekend to everybody!
Just turned the heating on in our house, great august!

iiiNelson

Been away a few weeks recovering from surgery but al is getting better. Here's a few I took before surgery. I haven't gone through them all yet and they were all taken with the A7r + Zeiss Contax/Yashica 180/2.8 Sonnar FLE. There's still another 500+ photos to go through but here were some of my immediate favorites.

Untitled by HiredArm, on Flickr

Godfrey

Sony A7 + Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5
ISO 200 @ f/5.6

Tried out my Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH and Color Skopar 28/3.5 on the A7 again today. They surprised me by performing better than expected. Not perfect ... the 28mm in particular shows magenta shifting ... but eh? It's nice to have a couple of compact lenses to use now and then.

This photo really really needs an 11x17 inch print to do it justice. 1024 to 1200 pixels wide isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.