The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michiel Schierbeek

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Hi Michiel - I've used the Samyang for a few images now, and it's pretty impressive. It has a fair amount of distortion but it's very sharp and has nice micro-contrast. I haven't looked around for a lens profile yet, but I'd guess someone has built one to tame the barrel/mustache stuff. I've also heard that PTLens handles that pretty well but I haven't messed with that either. Even wide-open, it's quite good. It's manual focus only, of course, but that's fine by me. In terms of price/performance/value, it's kind of a no-brainer. I think they could charge 2-3x the price and it would still be a 'buy'.

Sorry to hear about your camera repair issues and hope that gets resolved soon.

-Doug
I downloaded this lens profile already for my travel laptop and home computer.
Was not able to check it yet but I think it will work for the FF A7r as well.
(This is a Nikon D600 profile) Worthwhile to look into it.
Rokinon 14mm Lightroom Lens Profile - Sven Stork

Took me some time to find the right folder to place it in because it was hidden on my computers, but now they are right in my ACR lens profiles under Nikon.

Godfrey

I wonder if using 'align layers' in PS would fix that?
Edit > Auto-Align Layers" based on content works well. My cropping is a little crude, but I'll fix that up and post once more. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I've not made many animated GIFs before.

G

> Final edit in place now. looks much better. :)

Ben Rubinstein

Works nicely!

I think the whole animated gif thing is so funny, I remember them becoming passe as a web designer back in '95. :D Strange how things come around. Just hope that the selective colouring thing stays buried though.

iiiNelson

Hired Arm:
That trip must have been some experience. How close were the antelope? Their coats look so detailed.

Regards,
John
The antelope, impalas, dik-diks, and smaller deer are usually a bit more skittish at dawn and dusk when lions, leopards, and hyenas are quite a bit more active. By late morning or midday you can get surprisingly close. The hartebeest (as well as Cape Buffalo) are quite a bit larger and allow you to get a bit closer. It was also just me and my driver so that's the way to go on a Safari IMO if photos are your priority. I would say I was able to get within 5-15 meters regularly from the larger animals... and most types of primates... Double that distance for smaller bird types that aren't perched high up and the smaller deer types (dik-diks, antelopes, impalas, etc.)

Last edited:

dwood

'outhaul' - a7r / FE 24-70

outhaul: a system that provides a way for one to retrieve, and return, a small boat that's anchored out on the water while standing on the shore. One end is secured on the shore side (in this case, a stout piece of wood lodged into a piece of granite) and the other end is tied off to an anchor offshore. A closed-loop of line goes between these two points with the boat attached in between. If you're on shore and need your boat, you simply grab the line and haul it in, climb aboard and off you go. When you're done, you go back to shore, attach the line to the boat, start pulling the line, and the boat is returned to its anchored position. Pretty slick.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

Likewise thanks Georg.

BTW. The sheep in this part of Cornwall do like to spend more time on their backs than on all 4's.
My (vegetarian) wife can't stand to see it, so we spend less time taking photos and more time trying to find out which field belongs to which farmer so they can be righted...Farmers seem to take a dim view if strangers do it for them...Cheers Barry
I can understand vegetarian concerns and motivations Barry. My partner (Veterinarian) quit her job and studied again. She was not willing to play the drug dealer for meat mass producers. Now she teaches Biology and Mathematics in high school.

biglouis

Chartwell, owned by Winston Churchill, from the orchard looking towards the house.

A7+CV21/1.8

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Samyang 14mm profile is in PT lens plugin folks. Works really nice but it will cost 25 dollars I believe but is has hundreds of lenses in it.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Guy for the riminder! Just bought it as well. Cheap!
The other one comes right up in ACR lens profiles itself and this one under filters in PS.

JMaher

Does PT lens provide a better profile than you can manually do in Lightroom using the distortion correction tools?

Michiel Schierbeek

Mustache distortion is hard and has no special dedicated slider so you need a profile.

Last edited:

ZoranC

Worked hard on this one during the workshop good practice in HDR and PP in PS

This does not sound to good Michiel, hope you get the cam back in time (want to see shots from NYC from you) and we will not be hit by this defect!
With all due respect I feel this post is "not safe for work" and thus shouldn't have been made in thread that is meant for general public viewing and is not marked as "not safe for work". I feel consideration should be given to others, what kind of situation / hot seat post like this one could land person that innocently opened page while at work or while children are around, and respect that people have a right not to be exposed to nudity in public without agreeing to it. That is why marking threads as NSFW and not posting NSFW content in threads that are not marked as such has been widely accepted and acknowledged as common 'net courtesy. Not respecting that is rude. Thus due to all of this I would appreciate if picture in this post is at least not posted in manner that automatically displays it and is clearly marked as NSFW, if not removed.

W.Utsch

With all due respect I feel this post is "not safe for work" and thus shouldn't have been made in thread that is meant for general public viewing and is not marked as "not safe for work". I feel consideration should be given to others, what kind of situation / hot seat post like this one could land person that innocently opened page while at work or while children are around, and respect that people have a right not to be exposed to nudity in public without agreeing to it. That is why marking threads as NSFW and not posting NSFW content in threads that are not marked as such has been widely accepted and acknowledged as common 'net courtesy. Not respecting that is rude. Thus due to all of this I would appreciate if picture in this post is at least not posted in manner that automatically displays it and is clearly marked as NSFW, if not removed.
I don't know if that is to be taken serious, if yes:

For sure, i did not want to offend someone with this post. I think that should be clear to everyone.

IMO the pic is inoffensive. Its public everyday life at least where i live.

It shows a calendar hanging on a wall in a public garage, people come and bring their cars to get repaired and bring their kids. During the shooting with all garage doors wide open kids where playing in the yard...
Step outside and look at the commercials everywhere or switch on TV...

Status
Not open for further replies.