The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Truthfully the FE lenses may be stellar but they lack that sense of impregnability that the ZA ZE ZF.2 lenses exude...

SO the ZA would still be high on my list...if not the 135 F 2 ZF.2

Bob
Many thanks Bob, I think you are spot on with your assessment of what is currently available in the Sony Zeiss FE camp Vs. the existing Zeiss ZE/ZA/ZF.2 lenses on offer...Although the SAR rumour leads me to believe that the new Zeiss Loxia MF range (if true) might well be in a different build quality league altogether from the current Sony Zeiss FE lenses (But then on the other hand I doubt very much that they will be an improvement upon the current Zeiss ZE/ZA/ZF.2 lens range in terms of IQ and build quality etc...) All will be revealed soon I am sure...I hope that made sense as I am pretty sleepy right this moment in time, so chat later...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

Barry, if I am not mistaken, a SSM Version is supposed to come as well. Having said that, as Werner observed, it is focussing quick and accurate even without SSM, but I imagine on superfast cameras like the A77MKII or A6000 this could make a difference.

Good point Georg, I'm getting more and more confused :confused::confused::confused: what to do....BTW. Stop posting those 135mm images :LOL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Barry,

That would be the best of all worlds...they can build world-class lenses when they so desire...hope they take this market seriously.

Sweet dreams...the time difference is tough.

Bob

Barry Haines

Yea I heard this as well. It maybe a good upgrade for some, myself not sure just yet even though I shoot the A77Ii for AF and speed it's not bad as it is today. But certainly we can look at it. Case in point the 70-200 SSM is a rocket at AF. For current owners it will come down to a need issue. Unless they do a upgraded formula which I doubt.
I think that would be a great upgrade for you Guy, especially when the A99ii comes along...Chat later I'm off to bed...Cheers Barry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Okay folks. One more comment on the "was it art or not" subject and I'll hand out 7-day bans and lock this thread down.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Anna T, I am sure I could find number of things somebody considers "art" yet other posters here would find very offensive and not appropriate to post here / expose them to it. Are you truly willing to open that can of worms?
Zoran,

your issue was discussed and has been decided on. It would be nice if this thread here can now return to it's usual exchange.

There is a thread that discusses your concerns and objections where you could participate:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/51583-when-picture-post-nsfw-just-environmental-picture.html

ZoranC

Zoran,

your issue was discussed and has been decided on. It would be nice if this thread here can now return to it's usual exchange.
Georg,

If you are going to play "forum cop" please do me a favor and:

1. Extend same treatment toward others that continued posting before me, like Annna T.

2. Notice Jack already stepped in and he, unlike you, _is_ a forum administrator, your posting after him is not helping things die off as he requested.

Thank you in advance!

Thorkil

Jack, please don't close it. I really enjoy the pictures here.
I think there will be silence from now on, on that issue.
best
Thorkil

Ben Rubinstein

If anyone is interested, just back from testing the FD 24mm f2, it is very very very good. By f4 the corners are sharpening up but by f5.6 they are really good. By f8 the entire frame, center and corners requires me to back down on my default sharpening. Here is a RAW file shot at f11 (needed to hold DOF front to back, focus on centre tree).

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel...I also tried my 25/f2.8 and 35/f2 Biogon's on the A7R and was highly disappointed like others, ended up selling them both soon after...Although they both worked fantastic on the Nex6 and 5N.
I'm only guessing but was your image taken on a 35mm Biogon?...Hard to believe that IQ was squeezed out of the 25mm Biogon (If it was I am in awe :shocked: ).
The SAR is suggesting a 35mm and 50mm f2 (no mention of a 25mm unfortunately) (SR5) First Zeiss Loxia will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 lens. | sonyalpharumors
No, with the 25 but I did cut of some of long the sides, the center remains reasonable sharp. To many strange colours and smearing on the long sides.
The sides still are a little ugly.
May be I should sell it as well :banghead:

Michiel Schierbeek

If anyone is interested, just back from testing the FD 24mm f2, it is very very very good. By f4 the corners are sharpening up but by f5.6 they are really good. By f8 the entire frame, center and corners requires me to back down on my default sharpening. Here is a RAW file shot at f11 (needed to hold DOF front to back, focus on centre tree).
It is a good lens, I love mine. So there is a good option in that range already.

BTW Ben, didn't you like the corners of that 18 Distagon file?

Barry Haines

Michiel...I love doing photographic detective work, I find it's quite amazing just what a 1200px wide image can reveal.
Nice Selfie BTW.

1. You like to photograph on the streets on your own and wish to blend in without being noticed or drawing attention to yourself.

2. You are medium to slim-ish build.

3. You are happy to shoot one handed if it brings less attention to you.

4. You are right handed.

5. You favour Billingham or Billingham canvas style bags preferably Black/ leather Tan trimmed...Which you always hang over your right shoulder.

6. You generally try not to appear in your own window reflection images.

7. You still have your own hair and don't always wear a cap. :ROTFL:

How did I score? Netherlands 1 England (0-7)

All meant as a harmless bit of fun.

Re: The 25mm Biogon. If it turned out that it was the 25mm, then I thought you must have at least trimmed it down the sides, none the less you have my respect RE: The colour shift handling. :salute:

Personally I just didn't find the smearing in the corners or the colour shift edges acceptable on the A7R, the 35mm Biogon was borderline acceptable and the 50mm ZM Planar was excellent...No I wouldn't sell the 25mm if we all end up getting Sony curved sensors sometime in the future, that would be my advice (I already have regrets selling mine)....Cheers Barry

My 4 lightweight beauties... https://www.flickr.com/photos/54602555@N08/7042701703/

Ben Rubinstein

It is a good lens, I love mine. So there is a good option in that range already.

BTW Ben, didn't you like the corners of that 18 Distagon file?
Hi, first of all thanks again for that file! Honest answer, I didn't see anything better than my FD 20mm and as I have that already and it's considerably cheaper, I can't see a reason to change. Does that make sense?

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel...I love doing photographic detective work, I find it's quite amazing just what a 1200px wide image can reveal.
Nice Selfie BTW.

1. You like to photograph on the streets on your own and wish to blend in without being noticed or drawing attention to yourself.
:thumbup:

2. You are medium to slim-ish build.

3. You are happy to shoot one handed if it brings less attention to you.

4. You are right handed.

5. You favour Billingham or Billingham canvas style bags preferably Black/ leather Tan trimmed...Which you always hang over your right shoulder.
:thumbdown:

6. You generally try not to appear in your own window reflection images.

7. You still have your own hair and don't always wear a cap. :ROTFL:

How did I score? Netherlands 1 England (0-7)

All meant as a harmless bit of fun.

Re: The 25mm Biogon. If it turned out that it was the 25mm, then I thought you must have at least trimmed it down the sides, none the less you have my respect RE: The colour shift handling. :salute:

Personally I just didn't find the smearing in the corners or the colour shift edges acceptable on the A7R, the 35mm Biogon was borderline acceptable and the 50mm ZM Planar was excellent...No I wouldn't sell the 25mm if we all end up getting Sony curved sensors sometime in the future, that would be my advice (I already have regrets selling mine)....Cheers Barry

My 4 lightweight beauties... https://www.flickr.com/photos/54602555@N08/7042701703/
Very good Sherlock! Minus one point; I try not to be a snob :p and it is also in conflict with point 1

Your sincerely,
Dr Watson

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi, first of all thanks again for that file! Honest answer, I didn't see anything better than my FD 20mm and as I have that already and it's considerably cheaper, I can't see a reason to change. Does that make sense?
The FD is good as well but a bit less wide and also bigger especially with that huge hood. I prefer the C/Y Zeiss rendering a bit.

But sure it makes sense especially if you have more FDlenses in your bag.
And money is always a big factor.

Barry Haines

I love the lay out of my previous post :cool:
It's not bad but I prefer the look of Netherlands 2 England 6 :thumbs:
I can afford one own goal :mad: ....Best Re: Sherlock

Ben Rubinstein

The FD is good as well but a bit less wide and also bigger especially with that huge hood. I prefer the C/Y Zeiss rendering a bit.

But sure it makes sense especially if you have more FDlenses in your bag.
And money is always a big factor.
Hood? Who can afford the hood? it's selling for about $80 on ebay!

Ben Rubinstein

Dufus here was looking at the pics from his new 24mm with the raw downrezzed to 12 megapixels, no wonder it was so spectacularly sharp! :D It's a good trick actually on these cameras, if a lens isn't sharp enough, sacrifice a few megapixels, downrez and hey presto it's incredible!

Shot one after the other, in comparison to the FD 24mm f2.8, I actually find the 2.8 a hair sharper though it's eyes bleeding pixel peeping territory. The f2.8 has a colder and more clinical rendition/contrast. In other words the f2 stays! I like a more relaxed rendering and the extra stop even if it means a slightly bigger lens and slightly less sharp, especially when it's only very very slightly :D I can upload the comparison file from the 2.8 if you want Barry. The f2 lens wide open also has a really nice soft/haze feel to it, similar though not quite as dramatic as my Tak Super 35mm f2 but with better colour due to the modern coatings. By f2.8 it is very sharp already, peaks at f5.6-8 and then diffraction kicks in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.