The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Dufus here was looking at the pics from his new 24mm with the raw downrezzed to 12 megapixels, no wonder it was so spectacularly sharp! :D It's a good trick actually on these cameras, if a lens isn't sharp enough, sacrifice a few megapixels, downrez and hey presto it's incredible!

Shot one after the other, in comparison to the FD 24mm f2.8, I actually find the 2.8 a hair sharper though it's eyes bleeding pixel peeping territory. The f2.8 has a colder and more clinical rendition. In other words the f2 stays! I like a more relaxed rendering and the extra stop even if it means a slightly bigger lens and slightly less sharp, especially when it's only very very slightly :D I can upload the comparison file from the 2.8 if you want Barry. The f2 wide open also has a really nice soft/haze feel to it, similar though not quite as dramatic as my Tak Super 35mm f2 but with better colour due to the modern coatings. By f2.8 it is very sharp already, peaks at f8 and then diffraction kicks in.
Thanks Ben, That does seem to tie in with the general consensus over at photodotnet, that the f2 is preferred very slightly over the f2.8, not that the f2.8 is by any means a duff lens...Thank you for the kind offer of the download but I am more than happy to except your take on it.
No point in keeping both of them it seems if the difference in sharpness is that minimal that you have to pixel peep, the character of the lens and the extra stop are more beneficial if the weight is close-ish...Cheers Barry

Ben Rubinstein

You mean you don't want bleeding eyes from pixel peeping two images layered on top of each other at 100%, clicking the little eye icon on the layers tab again and again and again till it gets to the point where you would happily conclude that a spoon is sharper than a knife? :D

Barry Haines

You mean you don't want bleeding eyes from pixel peeping two images layered on top of each other at 100%, clicking the little eye icon on the layers tab again and again and again till it gets to the point where you would happily conclude that a spoon is sharper than a knife? :D
You seem to got the gist of it :LOL:

Barry Haines

My intention was always to post these 2 images together (To tired last night to finish what I started – So apologies for re-posting one of them).
The idea was that they both depicted the two extremes of mans hardship either traveling on the outer surface of the planet in blinding white snow in the freezing cold and the other heading towards the center of the planet in the pitch black...Barry

Original

Original

bcm

Michiel...I love doing photographic detective work, I find it's quite amazing just what a 1200px wide image can reveal.
Nice Selfie BTW.

1. You like to photograph on the streets on your own and wish to blend in without being noticed or drawing attention to yourself.

2. You are medium to slim-ish build.

3. You are happy to shoot one handed if it brings less attention to you.

4. You are right handed.

5. You favour Billingham or Billingham canvas style bags preferably Black/ leather Tan trimmed...Which you always hang over your right shoulder.

6. You generally try not to appear in your own window reflection images.

7. You still have your own hair and don't always wear a cap. :ROTFL:

How did I score? Netherlands 1 England (0-7)

A
Hilarious! Reminds me of Audrey Tautou chasing the photo booth man in Amelie.

I'll sneak in a quickie of the young one with the ZM85.

Godfrey

Port Townsend, WA.

All images shot with A7 + FE35 2.8 and FE55 1.8

All of these you posted are good, but this one is quite special.

You don't have to post them in such a large size, however. They slow down trying to look at this thread quite a lot if I'm not on a fast network. 1200pixels on the long edge is large enough...

dandrewk

All of these you posted are good, but this one is quite special.

You don't have to post them in such a large size, however. They slow down trying to look at this thread quite a lot if I'm not on a fast network. 1200pixels on the long edge is large enough...
Thanks Godfrey. Apologies for the size. I had reduced them before posting, but not enough. I've replaced the linked images with smaller versions.

Port Townsend is an awesome place, I've enjoyed myself every time I have been there. We were visiting family in Seattle and made that day trip. I'd have loved to have spent more time there as the photographic possibilities are endless. However, there were four (!) toddlers amongst us, so I was lucky to get what I did. Later in the trip I went solo to the Olympic peninsula. Hopefully there will be images to post when I finish post processing.

The B/W images were pre-imagined at the time I took them. It's one of those great moments where the finished image in my head followed through to the final result.

Kamoulox

A few shots from " Haut Koenigsbourg Castle" France Alsace (all with 70-200 and A7)

JMaher

From a studio shoot this week. Trying out the Sony 85 2.8 lens on an A7r. A friend who is a model and actress.
-Jim

Juliet by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Shac

Re: Fun With Sony _____

From another overnight in the Mt Baker are this week. All with Nex 6 and the 18-55 Kit lens except for the 6th which was with the 135/3.5 OM lens

Slingers

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Here are some shots from a photography lesson i had today.

NEX 7 and Zeiss Sonnar FE 35/2.8:

NEX 7 and Zeiss Sonnar FE 55/1.8:

Status
Not open for further replies.