The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandrewk

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Hurricane Ridge, Olympic National Park, Washington. Same location, different times (obviously).

FE55 lens.

jfirneno

Kultur-Brauerei, Heidelberg - A very popular in-house brewery

"Let's Go For A Beer"

Trying to attract people :)

HDR

Werner:
I'm curious to know your opinion on the FE 24-70 lens. You get very good performance from it. Specifically what are its strengths and weaknesses. When would and when would you not use it?

Regards,
John​

Barry Haines

"Let's Go For A Beer"
Trying to attract people :)
Sounds good Werner, a boys night out!
Only one question...Are we taking the green or orange car? :D Cheers Barry

Cropped to about 15MP – Handheld 58mm Rokkor F1.2 at 1/60th 800 ISO shop window display.

Last edited:

dandrewk

Rialto Beach, Olympic Peninsula, Washington

Sony A7. Top two images E10-18 F4. Bottom image FE55 F1.8.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

17mm TSE 5mm fall, 1 degree of forward tilt at F11. ND 1.8 filter on to slow water a little. Early morning and kept it warm on purpose. Sharp everywhere

Rich M

A7r w/ Contax 35/1.4 MMJ (wide open)

I love this lens.....matches up nicely with the A7r. This is the third version for me......didn't love the Rollei triangles and my AEG version was slightly de-centered.

I was re-inspired by Michiel's work with it and was lucky enough to find a perfect copy. It pretty much stays on the camera.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

I'm trying soooo hard to convince myself that I don't need an A7something to use with my collection of good old manual focus lenses, and I'm sure photos like this is only published to make me confused. Not only does it make me want an A7something, but it makes me want the Contax 35/1.4 to complement the 85/1.4 that I already own. I hate this stuff :( ;)

Great photo taken with the mother of all great 35mm lenses :thumbs:

A7r w/ Contax 35/1.4 MMJ (wide open)

I love this lens.....matches up nicely with the A7r. This is the third version for me......didn't love the Rollei triangles and my AEG version was slightly de-centered.

I was re-inspired by Michiel's work with it and was lucky enough to find a perfect copy. It pretty much stays on the camera.

W.Utsch

Werner:
I'm curious to know your opinion on the FE 24-70 lens. You get very good performance from it. Specifically what are its strengths and weaknesses. When would and when would you not use it?

Regards,
John
The 24-70 is in everyday use much better than its reputation or as some internet tests would suggest.

On the positive side is its versatility and convenience and one should not underestimate these two. The zoom range ist very useful, AF and OSS are working with no problems. The lens is in 90% of its range very sharp almost around the whole frame. Micro contrast is very good.

But it is a zoom lens and that means some sort of compromise. It can not be as good as premium primes.

The corners at 24mm never get perfect even stopped down. But do you really ALWAYS need perfect sharpness in the very corners? My answer is: NO, you may sometimes need sharp corners, architecture or some landscape shots come to mind. And only when you want to print these very big.

On the long end 70mm it is better to stop down a little.
Besides the extremes 24 and 70 the lens is very good with a peak around 40-50mm.
The weakest part of the glass is it's distortion which is very strong over the whole range. A compromise to build the lens relatively small and light. The distortion gets easily corrected in cam with Jpegs or with the LR profile. The same applies to some CA's that can occur.
With the A7R and 36mp i see no problem or image degradation with these software corrections. Even with my excellent Distagon 21/2.8 i have to correct distortion when straight lines are important for the composition.
I can not speak for the 7 or the 7s. I think it will be no problem with these either as almost all MFT lenses are build with software correction in mind.

Bokeh is of course not the strong part of the lens.

So, when would i use it? Every time when i can take only one (or two) lens to the location, size and weight are matters.
When not? For very critical work and when i can take 3 or 4 primes to the shooting and have time to change lenses. When i am looking for optimal bokeh, i would oc. not use the 24/70.

I hope my few words could help.
Regards
Werner

W.Utsch

Barry: We take of course the red one!

My invitation to a beer, is meant a little metaphorical as i have the impression that the forum needs a little boost after the big storm has passed by. It is a little sleepy here and we are almost by ourselves.

Werner

G43

You are not alone ... I am positive I am not the only one enjoying your creativity and nice photos. There's also a lot of gear (lenses) in play here which is very informative and too many times tempting ;-)

W.Utsch

Thanks G43, i was just a little kidding...

Some wine ready for the harvest. The weather keeps the winemakers uncertain.
From the "Bergstrasse" wine region just north of Heidelbergs on the foothills of the Rhein valley:

"Pinot Blanc And Clouds"
Distagon 21/2.8 ZE

DSC09872.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

W.Utsch

Michiel, we have the same clouds...this "summer" wether is really depressing!

Barry Haines

Werner - Yes, pretty quiet around here at the moment with one storm having now abated and another one brewing up.
I do expect things will get back to normal once “Hurricane Photokina” passes us by...BTW red is rather nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.