The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfirneno

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

The 24-70 is in everyday use much better than its reputation or as some internet tests would suggest.

On the positive side is its versatility and convenience and one should not underestimate these two. The zoom range ist very useful, AF and OSS are working with no problems. The lens is in 90% of its range very sharp almost around the whole frame. Micro contrast is very good.

But it is a zoom lens and that means some sort of compromise. It can not be as good as premium primes.

The corners at 24mm never get perfect even stopped down. But do you really ALWAYS need perfect sharpness in the very corners? My answer is: NO, you may sometimes need sharp corners, architecture or some landscape shots come to mind. And only when you want to print these very big.

On the long end 70mm it is better to stop down a little.
Besides the extremes 24 and 70 the lens is very good with a peak around 40-50mm.
The weakest part of the glass is it's distortion which is very strong over the whole range. A compromise to build the lens relatively small and light. The distortion gets easily corrected in cam with Jpegs or with the LR profile. The same applies to some CA's that can occur.
With the A7R and 36mp i see no problem or image degradation with these software corrections. Even with my excellent Distagon 21/2.8 i have to correct distortion when straight lines are important for the composition.
I can not speak for the 7 or the 7s. I think it will be no problem with these either as almost all MFT lenses are build with software correction in mind.

Bokeh is of course not the strong part of the lens.

So, when would i use it? Every time when i can take only one (or two) lens to the location, size and weight are matters.
When not? For very critical work and when i can take 3 or 4 primes to the shooting and have time to change lenses. When i am looking for optimal bokeh, i would oc. not use the 24/70.

I hope my few words could help.
Regards
Werner
Werner:
Your words were precisely what I wanted to know. Thank you for the time you took composing them.

Best regards,
John

dwood

'childhood memories of summer by the sea' - a7r / Samyang 14/2.8

W.Utsch

John, you are very welcome!

dwood: Thats a great shot and very good conversion. The Samyang seems to be very good.

dwood

dwood: Thats a great shot and very good conversion. The Samyang seems to be very good.
Thanks, Werner! The Samyang has its issues but is generally pretty impressive. And, relative to other glass, it was almost free.

BTW, if you post many more of these ZA 135/1.8 shots, you're gonna cost me money! Please stop :D

JMaher

This thread needs more pictures:)

I may already have posted this in color but I recently purchased a new b&W conversion software (Tonality) and was playing with it last night. I was going for an olde time film noir look that almost resembles a painting rather than the original photo.

Jim

Last edited:

Rich M

This thread needs more pictures:)

I may already have posted this in color but I recently purchased a new b&W conversion software (Tonality) and was playing with it last night. I was going for an olde time film noir look that was almost resembles a painting rather than the original photo.
Jim.....keep us posted on the new software. I will be curious to see if it offers anything beyond SEP2. I find that program to be pretty inclusive of all my needs.

I recently got back into the B&W wet darkroom and became aware of all the digital tools available to us that I perhaps take for granted.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Okay wanted to show how the 17mm works with the canon 1.4 Extender which end of day i am pretty dang impressed at the quality of it. All of these are now 24mm equivalents with the ND 1.8 filter on . I did adjust the WB to neutral than dropped the kelvin to taste. This is a good way not to screw up all the colors WB first than just adjust the Kelvin to the warmth you like or coolness you like. I processed these in C1 beta 8. Don't tell anyone. LOL

All of these are 1 second or longer around F8 or F11. All have rise or fall and all have some tilt to it. I was out to make use of the movements that was my end goal.

This one shot right into the sun

Guy Mancuso

One more this is about a 4 second exposure and that bird did a okay job of holding still. You know I had to bribe him with a fish. LOL

Last edited:

dwood

I processed these in C1 beta 8. Don't tell anyone. LOL
C18 Beta? You didn't think we we're gonna let this one slip by, did you? I've been doing my initial RAW conversions in C1P7 now for the last month and then sending TIFF's over to LR5 for other minor tweaks, b&w conversions, cataloging, and printing. Please at least tell us that C18 has added some FE lens profiles. And any other stuff you can hint at would be great. Screw the nondisclosure agreement :D BTW, those pics look great!

JMaher

Rich,
I don't think Tonality does any thing new but I haven't really used the competition in a while and then only as a test. Tonality does do layers with local adjustment brushes which I found to work well.

Another example from my playing around with it.

Jim

DSC00041-bw by jmmtampa, on Flickr

Rich M

Rich,
I don't think Tonality does any thing new but I haven't really used the competition in a while and then only as a test. Tonality does do layers with local adjustment brushes which I found to work well.

Another example from my playing around with it.

Jim

DSC00041-bw by jmmtampa, on Flickr
Jim.....I like this one.....very nice.

Rich M

Another capture with the A7r/Contax 35/1.4.

Wide open.....uncropped....with some minor adjustments (WB, levels)

Guy Mancuso

Very very very tough shot to pull off a sensor. With the huge DR of the Sony sensor this was handled very well. Processed this in LR and shot with the Canon 17mm with Canon extender so in effect a 24mm TSE lens. Has rise and fall and tilt with it as well but i am directly into the sun. Pretty amazing to pull this off without a ton of flare with a ND glass 1.8 filter on no less. Shot at F/14 for 1.6 seconds. Rare i stop down this far but was trying to slow the water but keep the birds sharp.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Inspired by Michiel Schierbeek I did some windowshopping in Knokke yesterday (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;))

Perspective

For the apple of my eye

Who's afraid of Red Yellow and Blue

All 3 with a NEX6 + Olympus OM 24/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.