The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglouis

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Fort Cumberland, Eastney, Portsmouth.

19th century gun pit, showing mount and direction scale.

A7+CV21/1.8

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Ron, jawdropping pictures in deed! Wish you would also show the color versions ov the b&w you posted, they must be spectacular too.

How did your A7R perform in such a rather hostile environment? Any special precautions you took when coming from the deck back into heated rooms? I imagine the temperature difference to be able to cause problems.

We are dreaming of that trip since a few weeks, Iceland/Greenland, what an adventure!

dwood

'shoreline at Wolfe's Neck' - a7r / Samyang 14

I shot this handheld while awkwardly perched on a steeply slanted boulder...almost went in the drink a couple times. As a result, it's not as sharp and crisp as it could be, but the image works for me regardless.

Ron Pfister

Ron, jawdropping pictures in deed! Wish you would also show the color versions ov the b&w you posted, they must be spectacular too.
Many thanks for the laurels, Georg! The B&W images were taken on a heavily overcast day, so the color versions aren't much to look at.

How did your A7R perform in such a rather hostile environment? Any special precautions you took when coming from the deck back into heated rooms? I imagine the temperature difference to be able to cause problems.
No problems what so ever. It wasn't too cold, actually - always above freezing, even at night. Battery life was pretty much unaffected. I kept the camera in a dry bag when not in use, and brought it into the cabin where we stayed in the bag, waiting for it to warm up before taking it out of the bag. Standard procedure, really...

We are dreaming of that trip since a few weeks, Iceland/Greenland, what an adventure!
I can't say more at this point, but if you'd like to go there, please send me a PM. There will be an opportunity next year...

D

Deleted member 7792

'shoreline at Wolfe's Neck' - a7r / Samyang 14

I shot this handheld while awkwardly perched on a steeply slanted boulder...almost went in the drink a couple times. As a result, it's not as sharp and crisp as it could be, but the image works for me regardless.

Works for me, too. :thumbs: Excellent composition and light. Thanks for sharing. And be safe!

Joe

Barry Haines

It's been a bit quiet today in this thread with all the exciting Sony announcements.

So time for a snap!
I rarely use 50 iso but I'm constantly surprised just how much detail the A7R/55mm FE can resolve when set at 50 iso...This one was handheld at F8...Cheers Barry

Edit: Apologies Werner for posting straight after your image, I didn't see yours - Accidental I can assure you... Cheers Barry

W.Utsch

Come on, Barry, BW and Color are nice together :)
Beautiful shot!
Cheers, Werner

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun With Sony _____

Yep, that was on my mind here. It was only the second time I had her, the horse that is :ROTFL: get used to me standing there while she passes by at speed. She is 13 now, and we did not let her go full speed, around 50%-60% at the most, a solid training gallop so to speak.

I would love to do that with the 77MKII and the 70-400G II. With my oldish a900 and 5 frames per second, and by looking at the series of bursts, I would think she makes around 2 - 2,5 gallop strides per second. I very much enjoy this, it is fascinating when she passes by you at such speed, and next time I try the 135 instead, now that I trust her not running me over.

Barry Haines

Yep, that was on my mind here. It was only the second time I had her, the horse that is :ROTFL: get used to me standing there while she passes by at speed. She is 13 now, and we did not let her go full speed, around 50%-60% at the most, a solid training gallop so to speak.

I would love to do that with the 77MKII and the 70-400G II. With my oldish a900 and 5 frames per second, and by looking at the series of bursts, I would think she makes around 2 - 2,5 gallop strides per second. I very much enjoy this, it is fascinating when she passes by you at such speed, and next time I try the 135 instead, now that I trust her not running me over.
More excellent shots Georg, my wife loves that horse, shes a pretty mare.
George Stubbs early paintings never managed to capture the legs quite right of his racehorses, none the less I still love those paintings.
Top marks my friend :salute:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Thanks Barry. :)

Yes, "Kitza" is somewhat a very unique thoroughbred with a sweet disposition. You can saddle her after 8 month of no riding and there won't be any problem, which can't be said for most thoroughbreds that went to the races. Most of them are "not right in the head" anymore, and who could blame them? Racing is about money and vanity, horses do not matter too much there, hence they start training them at the age of one year, which is utterly crazy, and more than often psychologically severely crippled horses come out as a result, damaged for life!

They would not know anymore how to behave in a herd for example, let alone being safe and responsive enough to ride outdoors in unknown territories.

I look forward to make pictures with my 135 if weather allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.