The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

pflower

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

I appreciate that it is early days yet, but I hope you will share your views on the A7 vs the A7r. I bought an A7 plus the zeiss 35mm for handheld walk about stuff with maybe a bit of tripod work out in the landscape. My initial response is that the files look fantastic when properly exposed and in the right circumstances (still tentatively feeling my way around how to use this combination). Seriously thinking about investing properly in this system. I never print above A2 and mostly A3+ so am curious whether or not the A7r does offer anything significant above the A7. I guess I am being lazy since I ought to arrange a rental and trial myself but since you are embarked upon the same investigation, I hope you don't mind if I ask.

Thanks

One of my first shots with an A7r I picked up second hand last week.

I decided I had to try the A7r and see if I was missing anything over the A7. I'll have to decide which one to keep after a few weeks.

V&A Museum - A7r + M-Rokkor 28/2.8

Barry Haines

Michael,

As always a very nice photo. Every time I see your shots I want a Contax N 24-85 lens, no matter how foolish that is and never-mind it's obviously the photographer and not the lens.

Jim
Well I’m pretty certain it must be the lens as I just can’t see any other explanation for it! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sunchai

Sunchai,

Talk about 3D pop :)

Jim
Thanks Jim, I think picture is clear,
the snow is baby power,
the important thing for this shooting is the swing to have the sharpness on the car as the lens is close to object.
Have fun.

Sunchai.:)

D

Deleted member 7792

Thanks Jim, I think picture is clear,
the snow is baby power,
the important thing for this shooting is the swing to have the sharpness on the car as the lens is close to object.
Have fun.

Sunchai.:)
Well done! I'm glad you confessed because I would have pulled out what little hair I have left trying to solve the mystery. ;)

Joe

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Malina, beautiful lady, great plane, nice shot! Only I hope her stiletto's didn't damage the wing :LOL:

October 7 was the 280th day of 2014
So a good reason to give my 280 mm lens a spin (Minolta 200/2.8 + Sony APO 1.4x converter :grin:)

1: a confused evergreen turning yellow

2: dropping needles and pine cones as if it were a normal broad leaved tree

3: bis

4: and then something rotten in the core

5: a leek flower trying to release its seeds

6: and another plant in the same mood

7: but finally some happy fall flowers, enjoying the few rays of sun we had that day in between the showers

All A850 + Minolta 200/2.8 HS G + Sony APO 1.4x converter, exifs inside

Barry Haines

A 2 Metre standing stone in the South of Cornwall named “MEN SCRYFA” which simply translates into 'Inscribed Stone', It is thought to be a prehistoric Bronze age standing stone (quite possibly even older than the first Egyptian Pyramids). It was later inscribed around the 5th or 6th century to commemorate the death in battle of a royal warrior.
The northern (rear of my pic.) face bears the inscription 'RIALOBRANI CUNOVALI FILI' which in Cornish means 'Royal Raven son of the Glorious Prince'...(BLENCOMO treatment).

Arjuna

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Here we have Larch trees, which are conifers, but not evergreen, so they change colour and drop their needles every autumn (RX1).

W.Utsch

When we came back from our short autumn Italy trip this rose in our garden was grown to almost 4m height. My wife took an iPhone shot of the whole scene while i was getting the real big stuff: The Leica R 280/2.8 with 1.4x extender.

"High Rose"

DSC00394.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

turtle

I've got both the A7R and A7 and can possibly help.

At A3, you are miles below the threshold at which can see any difference at all between the two in terms of resolution. At A2 there is still no difference at normal printing resolutions, whether chemical or inkjet prints are made.

IMHO you are far better off with the camera you have and I regard the A7 as a better all-rounder. I've covered this a fair amount on my blog shown in my signature area, where I've written in some detail about both cameras and some of the lenses. In summary, here are your benefits with the A7:

Electronic first curtain shutter. This means less noise, a snappier feel and no vibration issues with long lenses. This makes the A7 far better with lenses like the 70-200 f4 OSS, for example.

1. The burst rate is faster.
  2. The camera has phase AF as well as contrast detect.
  3. The A7 is cheaper.
  4. The A7 generally feels a bit more responsive.
  5. The A7 files are smaller and take up less space on hard drives and are quicker to transfer and work on

All in all, the only reason for the A7R over the A7 is to allow for larger prints (at A1 there is a difference), more cropping and, if you worry about a tiny bit of noise difference, when downsized the A7R files are a touch lower in noise than the A7 at the same resolution. There's naff all in it if you ask me, however.

One could possibly argue that the A7R files have a different 'granularity' but that is only when comparing equal image sizes on a computer at the higher magnification end. This is never visible in prints at the sizes I mentioned (obviously, if you think about it). Then there is a sensor flare under some circumstances, but I have not found it a real issue on the A7...

I think you have the right camera. The A7 gets less less love than the A7R, but to me it is clear; for most people under most circumstances it is the better camera. When I bought them both, I was more excited about the A7R, but as great as it is (and I love them both) the A7 just kept on showing what a great tool it is, with fewer rough edges than its 36MP brother.

I appreciate that it is early days yet, but I hope you will share your views on the A7 vs the A7r. I bought an A7 plus the zeiss 35mm for handheld walk about stuff with maybe a bit of tripod work out in the landscape. My initial response is that the files look fantastic when properly exposed and in the right circumstances (still tentatively feeling my way around how to use this combination). Seriously thinking about investing properly in this system. I never print above A2 and mostly A3+ so am curious whether or not the A7r does offer anything significant above the A7. I guess I am being lazy since I ought to arrange a rental and trial myself but since you are embarked upon the same investigation, I hope you don't mind if I ask.

Thanks

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I have both as well and I can echo most of his points. Essentially under most conditions for most people the A7 is"better" because it is more forgiving. If you did more landscape or tripod work I'd argue that the A7r may be a better camera for you IF you print large sizes. I do print some of my better shots so that's why I have both. The A7 is better for street but when you slow down I don't think the A7 can match the A7r is sheer image quality. I think shutter shock is an overblown problem (for what I do) because you can always raise shutter speed when you're outdoors in most cases to avoid those "problem areas" and I'm usually am not shooting long focal lengths in lowlight.

Renting one is probably the only way you can really answer if it'll make a difference for you. Ideally the A7r would've been released without an AA filter but it wasn't so I got one of each.

turtle

Oh, a point I forgot: the A7 has substantially less shutter lag than the A7R, so miles better 'when things move'.

... but if you are printing really big A1 or larger, you will fall off your chair when you see what the A7R can do with fine detail, when shooting with the best lenses.

iiiNelson

Oh, a point I forgot: the A7 has substantially less shutter lag than the A7R, so miles better 'when things move'.

... but if you are printing really big A1 or larger, you will fall off your chair when you see what the A7R can do with fine detail, when shooting with the best lenses.
I never really have issues with shutter lag (and if there's a difference I find it somewhat negligible for me)out I also shoot with adapted lenses almost exclusively which takes a little bit of prediction in getting motion shots as it is.

pflower

Thanks for the views.

I just don't have the wall space for A1 so have never felt the need to go that big. My interest was aroused by the quality of the files from the A7/35mm f2.8 when seen on the screen. I have now printed out a dozen A3+ and those more than live up to expectations. Just as a comparison I also printed out various images made in the same place, albeit different times and different light, with an H3D-39. The A7 images more than stand the comparison at that size and, I would suspect, even at A2.

I think I might leave the A7R alone for a while. Now I just have to convince myself that I neither need nor want a 55mm 1.8 or the 24-70 zoom.

I've got both the A7R and A7 and can possibly help.

At A3, you are miles below the threshold at which can see any difference at all between the two in terms of resolution. At A2 there is still no difference at normal printing resolutions, whether chemical or inkjet prints are made.

IMHO you are far better off with the camera you have and I regard the A7 as a better all-rounder. I've covered this a fair amount on my blog shown in my signature area, where I've written in some detail about both cameras and some of the lenses. In summary, here are your benefits with the A7:

Electronic first curtain shutter. This means less noise, a snappier feel and no vibration issues with long lenses. This makes the A7 far better with lenses like the 70-200 f4 OSS, for example.

1. The burst rate is faster.
  2. The camera has phase AF as well as contrast detect.
  3. The A7 is cheaper.
  4. The A7 generally feels a bit more responsive.
  5. The A7 files are smaller and take up less space on hard drives and are quicker to transfer and work on

All in all, the only reason for the A7R over the A7 is to allow for larger prints (at A1 there is a difference), more cropping and, if you worry about a tiny bit of noise difference, when downsized the A7R files are a touch lower in noise than the A7 at the same resolution. There's naff all in it if you ask me, however.

One could possibly argue that the A7R files have a different 'granularity' but that is only when comparing equal image sizes on a computer at the higher magnification end. This is never visible in prints at the sizes I mentioned (obviously, if you think about it). Then there is a sensor flare under some circumstances, but I have not found it a real issue on the A7...

I think you have the right camera. The A7 gets less less love than the A7R, but to me it is clear; for most people under most circumstances it is the better camera. When I bought them both, I was more excited about the A7R, but as great as it is (and I love them both) the A7 just kept on showing what a great tool it is, with fewer rough edges than its 36MP brother.

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel - you are in Toronto?

Hi Keith, it was a very short visit for a book launch from my niece.
We walked around for one evening and day.
We are gone already. We are in Kingston now and saturday and sunday in Clayton near Ottawa.

Yuy will recognize Spadina :)

iiiNelson

Thanks for the views.

I just don't have the wall space for A1 so have never felt the need to go that big. My interest was aroused by the quality of the files from the A7/35mm f2.8 when seen on the screen. I have now printed out a dozen A3+ and those more than live up to expectations. Just as a comparison I also printed out various images made in the same place, albeit different times and different light, with an H3D-39. The A7 images more than stand the comparison at that size and, I would suspect, even at A2.

I think I might leave the A7R alone for a while. Now I just have to convince myself that I neither need nor want a 55mm 1.8 or the 24-70 zoom.
The 55/1.8 is the one standout FE lens of the whole lot. I've hd the 24-70 and sold it. I have the 35 and wil trade it towards the Loxia or Distagon. The 55 stays. The 70-200 and the 16-35 May stay as well.

hodad66

After dropping off a package at USPS, I stopped by the bridge on the river with my A7R & (this time) a Canon FD 135mm f2.0 lens.... just for fun....

patient bird considering that I was so close...... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.