The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Barry: Thank you very much Sir!
Your Pier Series is adorable. Wish we have Piers here...

Here is one, PP with your recipe BLENCOMO (used it sometimes before), added Highpass filter on the BW:

"Strahlenburg, Schriesheim"

DSC00489-660.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Annna T.

One day I will make a book out of it, when the time is right and if I can raise the money.

Here's another one from New York.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Working on a housing project with a custom home builder. I still have much more to shoot but just for grins this house is 14,000 square feet under roof with a 3k square ft guest house and a 4k garage for car collector. This property is massive and I need to do aerials as well. Amazing and its all masonry build which is rare in the desert.

Canon 17mm TSE

This is the garage for car collecting

bcf

The thread is dedicated to both A7 and A7R, but the overwhelming majority of images seem to be made with the A7R.

So... A7R or A7 users, what made you choose one or the other? And now that you have used it for quite some time, would you make the same choice again?

And a subsidiary question: what about using the A7R handheld?

JMaher

bcf
A7r - for resolution
98% of my shots with the a7r have been handheld

JMaher

A7r with 70-200

Rented the 70-200 and the picture quality seemed excellent but I thought it hunted more than I liked as it grew darker outside.

Jim

Captain by jmmtampa, on Flickr

iiiNelson

The thread is dedicated to both A7 and A7R, but the overwhelming majority of images seem to be made with the A7R.

So... A7R or A7 users, what made you choose one or the other? And now that you have used it for quite some time, would you make the same choice again?

I chose both actually.

I shot probably half of my safari shots with a Zeiss Contax/Yashica 180/2.8 shot handheld or from a vehicle so the A7r isn't a problem with a bit of care.

scho

A streamscape detail image that was shot at the same time as the Fall Creek series posted yesterday in the Sony Tech Camera thread. This is cropped from a single frame shot taken with the A7R on the Cambo Actus with Rodenstock APO-Grandagon 55mm f/4.5 lens. ISO 100, f/11, no movements. Click image for full size original. A lot of textural contrasts and fine detail.

Barry Haines

Barry: Thank you very much Sir!
Your Pier Series is adorable. Wish we have Piers here...

Here is one, PP with your recipe BLENCOMO (used it sometimes before), added Highpass filter on the BW:

"Strahlenburg, Schriesheim"

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier...I just picked up a new Sony A6000 :D today in Plymouth...Got back late.
Thank you so much Werner...You know I equally respect your work as I do others here...You are a perfectionist in executing your images at both the taking and processing stages. :salute:
It seems you have already got the knack of doing the BLENCOMO treatment better than myself :cussing: ...I just tried the Highpass filter on a duplicate copy BW layer and it does look good I just need to practice it a bit further.

Michiel...You really should do a book on your window series :thumbs: , you can put my name down for a copy as long as you don’t price it like Helmut Newton's SUMO :eek:

Pegelli...Many thanks Pieter - I think!....I know you have young keen eyes so you are probably correct, my eyesight isn’t what it used to be....Now go and pick on somebody else :ROTFL:

Guy...What a marvelous place and I just love those giant cacti...Although they only grow to about 5 inches high here in the UK :LOL:

bcf....99.9% handheld nowadays with A7R (FF formats and smaller) but then I rarely shoot with long lenses.

Jim... Re: Captain...What piercing penetrating eyes that lady has.

Carl...Always so much detail in those Cambo Actus images of yours....I like this one in particular, especially the full size version.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

While in Richmond Park last week I really enjoyed the deer - bird interactions

Exchanging some forest gossip

Can I hitch a ride with you, sir?

Get off my baaaaacckk

A900 + Min 200/2.8 HS G + Sony APO 1.4x converter

tbhv55

Barry,
Many thanks for the comprehensive post-processing description - I was expecting just a couple of sentences, but you certainly provided 'chapter-and-verse'...!:eek: Very interesting, and you're getting great results.

As it happens, I was also in Plymouth yesterday, but I didn't notice anyone photographing shop windows, using a shiny brand new A6000... :D

bcf

A7r - for resolution
98% of my shots with the a7r have been handheld
HiredArm said:
I shot probably half of my safari shots with a Zeiss Contax/Yashica 180/2.8 shot handheld or from a vehicle so the A7r isn't a problem with a bit of care.
Thanks! So, would you say that you do benefit from the resolution, even handheld? Do you need particularly high shutter speeds? With a 180, sure, but say with the 35 or 55?

What is the size of the A7 and A7R files?

Barry Haines said:
99.9% handheld nowadays with A7R (FF formats and smaller) but then I rarely shoot with long lenses.
By "smaller", do you mean you sometimes use the APS format?

JMaher

Bernard,

You need a higher shutter speed no matter what lens you choose if you shoot with a camera with more pixels such as the A7r. It would be nice to see all the lenses stabilized like using an E-M1 but the files from the A7r are beautiful.

The A7r files are around 35MP.

Jim

Ron Pfister

I chose the A7R due to the resolution of the sensor. And yes, I would definitely chose this model again. It's like a D800E that fits in your (large) jacket pocket, which is exactly what I was looking for. Granted, 36MP are not what you need for every shot, but when you do, and if the conditions permit technique that maximises IQ, it's an unbeatable system at this point in time. I primarily use Leica-R and Zeiss ZF.2 lenses with the A7R.

Up to now, I've shot about half/half hand-held and from tripod. For hand-held work, I try to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/3f or faster. This has worked well even in challenging situations, e.g. when working from a small boat in a slight sea state.

All in all a terrific camera. The only other camera I'm using at the moment is the RX-100 MkIII for situations where I need something even more portable.

HTH,

Ron

Edit: I would like to add that IBIS and EFC would make this camera close to perfect for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.