The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.Utsch

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Michiel, yes there is a little distortion at 16mm that gets less if you go up to 21-24mm.
The LR profile corrects this perfectly.
But even uncorrected it looks quite good much better than expected after the experience with the 24/70 which is awful distortion wise and has to be corrected with architecture...

Here i wanted to show the lenses peformance with no CA, Vignetting or distortion correction.

My first impressions with that lens is really very positiv, in almost all situations it can replace my primes in that range.
Thats of course a little sad :) because i love my 18,21 Distagon's, the 15 Nikkor and the 24 TSE II.

Here is the same Chappell shot with the LR profile used: Distortion and vignetting are corrected:

DSC00978.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Barry Haines

Michiel, yes there is a little distortion at 16mm that gets less if you go up to 21-24mm.
The LR profile corrects this perfectly.
But even uncorrected it looks quite good much better than expected after the experience with the 24/70 which is awful distortion wise and has to be corrected with architecture...

Here i wanted to show the lenses peformance with no CA, Vignetting or distortion correction.

My first impressions with that lens is really very positiv, in almost all situations it can replace my primes in that range.
Thats of course a little sad :) because i love my 18,21 Distagon's, the 15 Nikkor and the 24 TSE II.
Crikey Werner :eek: Is it really that good?... I had better sell my WATE quickly then :cry:

W.Utsch

I was tempted to buy the WATE before and if i had, i would oc keep it :)

I dont know how the FE compares to the WATE but , still first impressions, the Sony is a very good lens.
It surely stands good against the above mentioned primes, which all have their strengths and weaknesses. The famos 21 Distagon e.g. has distortion (mustache) you better correct with critical architecture. The 15 Nikkor is prone to heavy flares.
The 24 TSE is bulky etc....

Last but not least you get AF and OSS with the Sony, both are welcome for me, my eyesight is not the best and for indoor shots handheld OSS is good to have...

The AF worked excellent in the dark shooting in the Dom. I never, by purpose to test, used manual focus there which is by the way not very easy in dim light and stopped down...

Barry Haines

I was tempted to buy the WATE before and if i had, i would oc keep it :)

I dont know how the FE compares to the WATE but , still first impressions, the Sony is a very good lens.
It surely stands good against the above mentioned primes, which all have their strengths and weaknesses. The famos 21 Distagon e.g. has distortion (mustache) you better correct with critical architecture. The 15 Nikkor is prone to heavy flares.
The 24 TSE is bulky etc....

Last but not least you get AF and OSS with the Sony, both are welcome for me, my eyesight is not the best and for indoor shots handheld OSS is good to have...

The AF worked excellent in the dark shooting in the Dom. I never, by purpose to test, used manual focus there which is by the way not very easy in dim light and stopped down...
Many thanks Werner...I got the impression over at FM last night that you were pretty impressed with it looking at these pics ;)
I said from the beginning I would jump ship from the Leica WATE if Zeiss came up with an alternative that suited me better...The WATE has a wavy distortion which is easy to see at the 16mm end and they are both f4 anyway...The OSS, AF and Exif data are all positives and adding a filter would be less of a problem....Thanks again.
I think Michiel is going to get one so I had better keep up with you two :ROTFL:

EDIT...Just ordered one, I will compare it against the WATE when it arrives in about a weeks (hopefully) time.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

You just couldn't wait huh..... :D

Like to read about your findings as well Barry. Congrats!
Many thanks Michiel...No I couldn't WATE any longer :grin:

Will of course let you know...I'm awaiting a tracking number at the moment plus a 4-6 business day delivery time frame, hopefully in the meantime Werner will carry out a few tests of his own and share his findings with us all (especially compared to his Distagons). I realize it's a zoom at the end of the day, so my expectations are not that high but I keep hearing good things - I really needed to find out for myself.
I am seeing Ron (Pfister) on the 23rd down at Falmouth I will take the WATE and the 16-35mm FE so he can give you his opinion as well (All assuming it has arrived by then)...Cheers Barry

dwood

Werner, thanks for sharing those shots and your thoughts. This does indeed look VERY promising. Damnit! :D

If you have a chance, I'd love to see/hear what things look like at 21-24ish and 35.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Since my 7r is modified to capture full spectrum and I use it for infrared work I normally don't post here but thought I'd share these two...

The Church on the Hill, Felicity CA. Sony A7r 24mm (24-70) 830nm f/4 1/320 ISO 100

Another from The Palouse. This was captured using a Sony A7r modified to capture full spectrum and a 830nm IR filter attached to a Hartblie Super Rotator medium format lens. Not certain of the f/stop however 1/125 ISO 100. Looks like medium format lenses work well on the Sony A7r!

Don

W.Utsch

dwood: Thank you!
My, still first impressions are, that the lens reaches it's peak at around 21 (18-24). As seen, really low distortion and very good controlled CA's in the whole range. Weakest performance at the 35 end but still good and perfectly usable.
24 mm in an other league as the 24-70.

May i invite you to look at the 2 last posts at FM, they show performance at F4/16mm and 18mm with lots of DOF.

"Dom Worms, East Cupola"

DSC01013.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Busy times, so it's been quite a while ...

"Retreat", Old Cemetery, Munich

ILCE-7r, FE 16-35 F 4 ZA OSS

C&C always welcome.

scho

Just trying some old Leica R lenses with the A7R and Cambo Actus. Movements are limited compared to LF or MF lenses, but enough to get sufficient tilt when needed and shifts for stitching 2-4 images.

Leica 24mm Elmarit, some rear R/F adjustment for framing. Forgot to put on lens hood and got some flare and ghosting.

Leica R 35-70mm f/4, two stitched shots using rear R/F.

Professional

A7R + TS 24II

I took many shots, and i took stars shots too but wasn't good at all, and suddenly for one shot when i was checking the settings i saw it was on L[JPEG], so i shocked and felt sad that my beach shots all were with JPEG, but when i checked few minutes ago on my computer.....VIOLA...... all RAW except one of stars shots.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member

Tareq, great symmetry and fantastic pastel colors with that image. Good work dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.