The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks Michiel, seems like an excellent excuse to visit Amsterdam again (the city where I was born 58 years ago :))
Pieter...There are rather a few of us young 58 year olds here :ROTFL:

Professional...Great shot, lovely reflection!

Barry Haines

Michiel...I noticed Werner is being very quiet...He's Avatar has a very slight sepia tint to it.
When you reach a certain age it's a good idea to change your Avatar into a tap :LOL:

Pieter...I hate to admit it but that Avatar of mine was taken about 20 years ago!
Your Avatar looks like it has a few wrinkly edges...The corners look particularly bad!...Was it taken with a 16-35mm by any chance? :LOL:

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel...I noticed Werner is being very quiet...He's Avatar has a very slight sepia tint to it.
When you reach a certain age it's a good idea to change your Avatar into a tap :LOL:

Pieter...I hate to admit it but that Avatar of mine was taken about 20 years ago!
Your Avatar looks like it has a few wrinkly edges...The corners look particularly bad!...Was it taken with a 16-35mm by any chance? :LOL:
I only changed my avatar because people started to recognize me in the streets, asking for signatures etc, so I decided for a little more privacy :ROTFL:

I think that's why Werner keeps his sunglasses on :talk028:

W.Utsch

Barry, a good one - forces me to get out of the bed and post!
The second time this year some virus got me and my wife. She would not say i am quiet but rather i am "suffering" :mad:
That's probably age related, in my case even the 5 is gone (the tint can not really cover!), im now version 6.0 :), but the good thing we don't care TOO much about corners....

Thanks for your comparison shots, lots of and great work!

I am somehow in the same situation like you: I love (why such an erotic word related to a lens ??) my WA primes The 18,21 Distagons, the 15 Nikkor or the 24 TSE II not speak of Leica glass 35/1.4 R...
I am sure i will use these lenses in the future (if i can stand up from the bed :))

But just count the weight of the said WA's and their size and take our age into account .....we have to adamit that the 16-35 is a tempting option and an option is that almost on par with great WA prime lenses. For me it is even the best FE lens Sony made so far.

As Guy would say we are all (me included of course) "gear sluts" with a overdone relationship to photographic equipment. If i sometimes show my prints (yes i still print a lot and big) to people no one cares which lens was used or if the corners are track sharp. They tell me very fast if they like the print or not, only fellow photographers ask what lens, what cam etc...a little compulsive.

W.Utsch

Forgot Michiel:
LOVE (sic) your Rennes Cathedral shots! All of them but the the last one even a little more...

:D Sunglasses are perfect, aren't they?:D
Or you can hide with a cam in front.......

Michiel Schierbeek

Forgot Michiel:
LOVE (sic) your Rennes Cathedral shots! All of them but the the last one even a little more...

:D Sunglasses are perfect, aren't they?:D
Or you can hide with a cam in front.......
Sorry to hear about your virus Werner. I wish you both well!

Thanks for your compliments on the cathedral. You're the expert! BTW It is Rouen :)

Striking isn't it how many people cowardly hide behind there cameras on their avatars :D

Here's one from the outside with a bit different colour pallete.

Barry Haines

Barry, a good one - forces me to get out of the bed and post!
The second time this year some virus got me and my wife. She would not say i am quiet but rather i am "suffering" :mad:
That's probably age related, in my case even the 5 is gone (the tint can not really cover!), im now version 6.0 :), but the good thing we don't care TOO much about corners....

Thanks for your comparison shots, lots of and great work!

I am somehow in the same situation like you: I love (why such an erotic word related to a lens ??) my WA primes The 18,21 Distagons, the 15 Nikkor or the 24 TSE II not speak of Leica glass 35/1.4 R...
I am sure i will use these lenses in the future (if i can stand up from the bed :))

But just count the weight of the said WA's and their size and take our age into account .....we have to adamit that the 16-35 is a tempting option and an option is that almost on par with great WA prime lenses. For me it is even the best FE lens Sony made so far.

As Guy would say we are all (me included of course) "gear sluts" with a overdone relationship to photographic equipment. If i sometimes show my prints (yes i still print a lot and big) to people no one cares which lens was used or if the corners are track sharp. They tell me very fast if they like the print or not, only fellow photographers ask what lens, what cam etc...a little compulsive.
Werner, I sympathize completely, our lady partners just don’t seem to grasp how serious and complex our “suffering” is :scry::scry::scry:
Only because it’s impossible for them to actually contract Man Flu! Your wife must be suffering from something altogether different! Maybe she has contracted a common-or-garden cold.

I think I have finally deciphered your age with the aid of an abacus. You basically have 2 more versions to catch up with Michiel (Speaking of which LR 5.7 is out).

You are lucky...Tinting is a luxury that has passed me by some while ago...I’m more at the Weston meter invercone stage, if you get my drift.
I’m sure I would care more about the corners if my failing eyesight could see them properly (what looks bad at 100% on the screen is not so bad when printed at 360dpi...I only ever print to A2, not super large like you and Michiel).

I think I will keep the 16-35mm because it has so many pluses in it’s favour...It gradually deteriorates at around 28mm, so the 28mm Distagon will stay and so will having a fast 35mm.
Keeping the WATE is questionable...I’m still in two minds about it...I will see just which lens I gravitate towards the most.

You have a lot more lenses than me to ponder over if you are considering thinning them out.
If you are keeping the 16-35mm and you only want to lose one of those lenses, then the 18mm or the 15mm looks to me to be the obvious candidates out of your existing line-up...That’s just my unasked for 2 pence worth.

Thanks Re: The tests...It gives folks here some idea of what it’s like :)

100% agree with what you said above...We as photographers become technically obsessed with presenting our images as best we can, we are always looking to how an image can be improved, our eyes home in automatically to anything that’s not quite right with an image without even considering the image for what it is, where a non photographer is much more interested in the content itself and the first quick impression an image gives off and not the technicalities that went into making the image itself...Have you considered getting a Holga!

Anyway struggle back to bed and get well soon my friend...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

Oh Brrrrrr.... Sorry guys; you have the right for your privacy as well :angel:
So you should be sorry, what a terrible thing to say! :lecture: You embarrassed Pieter into changing his Avatar :LOL:

This one was taken with the Sony 16-35mm FE at F8 Handheld with OSS on at 1/13th sec at the 16mm end.

PLEASE SEE
ORIGINAL

Last edited:

pegelli

Lovely light on the Looe River Barry.
This picture also demonstrates why corner sharpness is usually not needed and much overrated ;)

dwood

Barry, Michiel, and Werner: your excellent handheld technique is really starting to get on my nerves. ;)

Barry Haines

Many thanks Pieter...Situations like this and it's easy enough to get away with a bit of softness going on in the corners.

Doug...Just call us the 3 Amigos :LOL:
The OSS is pretty good it allows you a few extra stops for sure...Happy enough to use 1/13 sec handheld no problem.
You was once thinking of getting the 16-35mm FE lens...I know you went with the Zeiss 21mm Distagon (Still the "King" of the 21mm's BTW IMHO) have you changed your mind?

dwood

Many thanks Pieter...Situations like this and it's easy enough to get away with a bit of softness going on in the corners.

Doug...Just call us the 3 Amigos :LOL:
The OSS is pretty good it allows you a few extra stops for sure...Happy enough to use 1/13 sec handheld no problem.
You was once thinking of getting the 16-35mm FE lens...I know you went with the Zeiss 21mm Distagon (Still the "King" of the 21mm's BTW IMHO) have you changed your mind?
The 16-35 is looking pretty darn good, and I was certainly anxious to to buy it when it came out. But now that I have the Zeiss 21, I'm thinking of getting something like the Zeiss 35/f2 or 35/1.4 and calling it good. Most of my work is via tripod, and I find manual focus with a lens like the 21 so enjoyable. I may also wait to see what the Loxia 35 looks like. And I still have the Samyang 14 for the UWA stuff. Still, it's tempting though.

Michiel Schierbeek

Lovely light on the Looe River Barry.
This picture also demonstrates why corner sharpness is usually not needed and much overrated ;)
Pieter, you look like 38 :thumbup:
I have been hiding behind a camera myself for years ;)

Barry Haines

The 16-35 is looking pretty darn good, and I was certainly anxious to to buy it when it came out. But now that I have the Zeiss 21, I'm thinking of getting something like the Zeiss 35/f2 or 35/1.4 and calling it good. Most of my work is via tripod, and I find manual focus with a lens like the 21 so enjoyable. I may also wait to see what the Loxia 35 looks like. And I still have the Samyang 14 for the UWA stuff. Still, it's tempting though.
Hi Doug, as you say if you are a tripod type person I would then personally stick with the 21mm Distagon. I'm sure that would give you a bit better IQ than the 16-35mm...OSS would not be that important to you.
Cheers Barry

PS. Really liked this one of yours :thumbup: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/610900-post3267.html

W.Utsch

Still feeling bad, but the thread is cheering me up:D
I am thinking about getting bigger sunglasses....
Or better, using a LF Linhof in front of me for the Avatar....

Comparison with the 21 Distagon has still to be done.
I like the 21 a lot (and will not sell it) but it is not without faults i.e. it has mustache distortion and some CA's in the outer areas. Corners are really good but not without any faults.
IMO the corners of the Sony are very good for a zoom, for almost all shooting situations sufficient. Not only "sky and water":)

"Side Chapel, Ceiling, Dom Worms"

DSC01024.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.