The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsng

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thank you. What's the easiest way to get there, via Kunming or via Lao Cai on the Vietnamese side?
We flew into Kunming first since it is under 4 hours flying time from Singapore. There are flights from Bangkok, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur to Kunming. Our first stop was the Dongchuan Redland which is in the opposite direction from Yuanyang. I will post a few images from this area. The highway from Kunming to Yuanyang is pretty good. If you were to go Lao Cai, you have to fly into Hanoi first. From Hanoi you need to take a train or bus to Lao Cai. Sapa which is near Lao Cai has rice terraces as well, but on a smaller scale than Yuanyang.

The terraces are filled with water from November to March. April is the planting season.

MikalWGrass

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Shot near Key West Naval Air Station over the weekend. Overcast skies. FA-18F on a training run. I was driving a van as part of the Ragnar Relay, which is a run from Key Biscayne to Key West. I was waiting for one of our runners to finish when these guys started training.

Sony a900, Sony 70-200/2.8. 100% crop. Wish I had more reach so I didn't have to crop so much.

Malina, I didn't see your great photos from 4 days ago until today. Where did you take the shots of the planes? Were you in a plane as well?

FighterPlane by mikalgrass, on Flickr

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

We flew into Kunming first since it is under 4 hours flying time from Singapore. There are flights from Bangkok, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur to Kunming. Our first stop was the Dongchuan Redland which is in the opposite direction from Yuanyang. I will post a few images from this area. The highway from Kunming to Yuanyang is pretty good. If you were to go Lao Cai, you have to fly into Hanoi first. From Hanoi you need to take a train or bus to Lao Cai. Sapa which is near Lao Cai has rice terraces as well, but on a smaller scale than Yuanyang.

The terraces are filled with water from November to March. April is the planting season.
Thank you again. I've been to Sapa before, so I know that route. It would be interesting to do it as a round trip, one way in and another out. April would be perfect with the planting and all, but my travel plans seem to be rather extensive that month. We'll see :)

Malina DZ

MikalWGrass, that one was shot at Sun-n-Fun in 2014. I can only wish to become a passenger of one of those some day :)

MikalWGrass

DZ, Thank you for the like. I am 53 and still hope to be a passenger in one of those. Since you're in South Florida, have you ever thought of shooting at The Deering Estate or The Thalatta Estate? Neither are as picturesque as Vizcaya but both are beautiful. Both are in Palmetto Bay.

Barry Haines

Excellent yet again Ng ^ ^ ^ The 70-400mm let you get in really close...I liked this set the best...I need a longer lens than my 55mm...Cheers Barry

Running, walking and jumping on water sequence.

Don Libby

Been getting used to the Sigma 150-500 on Sandy's A7r. These were all captured handheld and cropped at 100%. Does this qualify as "wildlife". :D

jonoslack

Excellent yet again Ng ^ ^ ^ The 70-400mm let you get in really close...I liked this set the best...I need a longer lens than my 55mm...Cheers Barry

Running, walking and jumping on water sequence.
Lovely Barry - Home! I smoked my first joint under that pier! (or am I supposed to say that - it must have been in 1967)

jonoslack

All of these with the A7ii and the 55 f1.8

Scarlett Gleaming

With uncle Saul

Watching Charlie and Lola with Emma

Don Libby

Don, is that lens is in the a-mount? Using it with the LAEA4 adapter? How is the autofocus performance?
Mike, it is the Sony A mount with the LA EA4 adaptor. Overall gets heavy when stalking like critters but manageable nevertheless. We were prepared for slightly worse autofocus however not the case. We've found the AF to be just as fast and just as accurate as without it. The huge benefit is the additional focus points, especially when trying to capture something as small as these little guys.

Great package. We'll be using this setup later this year when we return to Jackson Hole.

Don

dwood

I smoked my first joint under that pier! (or am I supposed to say that - it must have been in 1967)
...and this forum is even good for some laughs - made my day there, Jono. Also, lovely pictures of Scarlett.

dandrewk

"You are not my master. Go 'way with that stupid camera!"

... "Prince" is not pleased.

Barry Haines

Lovely Barry - Home! I smoked my first joint under that pier! (or am I supposed to say that - it must have been in 1967)
Thanks Jono, It was also my summer home back in 1967...Unfortunately only for just a fortnight each August each year...I'm sure our paths must have crossed sometime in the past...It was so different back then, with artists painting in the shops in Fore Street...Oh happy days :)

jonoslack

Thanks Jono, It was also my summer home back in 1967...Unfortunately only for just a fortnight each August each year...I'm sure our paths must have crossed sometime in the past...It was so different back then, with artists painting in the shops in Fore Street...Oh happy days :)
HI Barry
I don't remember the artists painting in the shops in Fore Street - but I remember the Seaman's mission (pretty much where you took your photo from) where I misspent my youth playing Billiards and Snooker.

My father was a doctor in StIves (and a fine photographer - there are some of his pictures in the Tate StIves) - he was friends with lots of the artists - many of whom came to our house for dinner when I was a boy (Hepworth, Heron, O'Malley, Wynter and more). My mother was a jeweller, taught by Breon O'Casey.

I also remember the deck chair building on the beach on the extreme left of your photos . . . which is now our very favourite restaurant (the Porthminster Beach Cafe) - if you haven't been, then you must! Booking required, great for lunch as well.

One of our favorite days out is to drive to StErth station - catch the train to StIves (along the coast - lovely) have lunch at the Porthminster and then wander through the town for the afternoon (a visit to the New Craftsmen for one of Cornelius Van Dop's lovely badges is vital :) ). Tea at the Tate and then back to StErth on the train.

What could be nicer :) (we'll be there again towards the end of March).

Status
Not open for further replies.