The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Here's a another one with the 55 f1.8 at 5000 ISO and f4

Scarlett

Barry Haines

HI Barry
I don't remember the artists painting in the shops in Fore Street - but I remember the Seaman's mission (pretty much where you took your photo from) where I misspent my youth playing Billiards and Snooker.

My father was a doctor in StIves (and a fine photographer - there are some of his pictures in the Tate StIves) - he was friends with lots of the artists - many of whom came to our house for dinner when I was a boy (Hepworth, Heron, O'Malley, Wynter and more). My mother was a jeweller, taught by Breon O'Casey.

I also remember the deck chair building on the beach on the extreme left of your photos . . . which is now our very favourite restaurant (the Porthminster Beach Cafe) - if you haven't been, then you must! Booking required, great for lunch as well.

One of our favorite days out is to drive to StErth station - catch the train to StIves (along the coast - lovely) have lunch at the Porthminster and then wander through the town for the afternoon (a visit to the New Craftsmen for one of Cornelius Van Dop's lovely badges is vital :) ). Tea at the Tate and then back to StErth on the train.

What could be nicer :) (we'll be there again towards the end of March).
Hi Jono, apologies for the late response, I have been in Truro all day.
It sounds like you have spent a most wonderful childhood living in St. Ives at a golden time in its history, you were very fortunate.
It must have been wonderful living there all the year round with those artists about. I only saw a brief glimpse of it back in the 60’s during my summer holidays.
I can’t say that I remember the Seaman’s mission back then ...I suspect the Seaman’s mission was just by the old jetty on the other side of Smeatons Pier, which is where those images were taken.
What I do remember thought were some artists painting/performing for the public in a few shops along Fore Street (Painting stormy seascapes was my faint recollection).
BTW, thanks for the thumbs up Re: Porthminster Beach Café, I will have to give it a try next time I’m passing that way.
I hope to be meeting up with Ron Pfister in Penryn mid to end of March, perhaps we will try and come over in your direction to take some snaps...who knows we might run into you in St. Ives.
Cheers Barry
Edit: OMG Jono, I just looked up that New craftsmen gallery...That WAS definitely one of the gallery's with the artists in the window...I actually chatted to the owner (Ylenia Haase) on the 50th Anniversary of the shop...small world!

Taken a few days ago - Mount Zion Coffee shop, St Ives. (Fantastic coffee, nice guy...No food though)....Coffee toning seemed appropriate :LOL:

LARGER

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Key West, FL. The sun was bright, the water a bit muddy. Popped the saturation a bit, and cropped out a lot of the bridge because it was extraneous. I know I could have done a bit more with the colors, but this is how I saw it, minus the hot pick vest on the young woman. Sony 70-200/2.8 G and Sony a900.

Bridge1 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

Bridge2 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Impossible to get this shot with most gear out there (not because I do not own them but they are incapable).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
7s, Olympus pen F 60/1.5, ISO8000

Annna T

I like the first one very much (but less the shallow DOF one). This looks like a fantastic space and I like the way you have handled the tones and colors. What kind of building was it ? Will it be demolished ? or could it be reaffected to something else ?

"Abandoned VII + VIII"

DSC01735-853.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Thank you, Annna T!

That's an old Market Hall in Worms, Germany very close to the river Rhein - a fantastic place.

Because of the many discounters and supermarkets we got everywhere in the last years the place went broke.
I am not sure about its future, would like to buy it .....

Annna T

Thank you, Annna T!

That's an old Market Hall in Worms, Germany very close to the river Rhein - a fantastic place.

Because of the many discounters and supermarkets we got everywhere in the last years the place went broke.
I am not sure about its future, would like to buy it .....
Yes, a fantastic space with an extraordinary light. What kind of reaffectation would you see there ?

Although the space is much more confined here, this is an old jail which was reaffected as an art museum :

(sorry for showing an E-M5 pictures).

But I think that there is too much incoming light in your photographed space to make a museum out of it ? It would be nice as a meeting place.. coffee, restaurant.. nowadays that everyone is working on computers, there may be too much light to create an architecture atelier or something like that..

V

Vivek

Michiel, Apologies for the mix up. I even have a museum card (bought at that very place!) :eek:

nsng

Excellent yet again Ng ^ ^ ^ The 70-400mm let you get in really close...I liked this set the best...I need a longer lens than my 55mm...Cheers Barry

Running, walking and jumping on water sequence.

Thanks Barry. The 70-400G is a great lens. I bought this for my trip to Namibia and S. Africa a few years ago. At that time I was using the A850 and a number of leitaxed R lenses.

The last time my wife an I visited Cornwall was about 20 years ago. We stayed in a country club, near Praze-An-Beeble and visited places such as Lizard Point and Land's End. I enjoyed visiting that part of England, but my wife preferred the bright lights of London!

nsng

Dongchuan Redland is located about 3 hours from Kunming. It is well known for its colourful soil. This is due to the presence of iron and copper oxides that give colours ranging from dark brown to shades of red and orange. Depending on the season and the types of crops being cultivated, the landscape here can be a visual feast of colours. Here are a few images captured with the A7R, FE55, 35-70 VE and 180 Apo-Elmarit.

Barry Haines

Excellent yet again Ng ^ ^ ^ The 70-400mm let you get in really close...I liked this set the best...I need a longer lens than my 55mm...Cheers Barry

Running, walking and jumping on water sequence.

Thanks Barry. The 70-400G is a great lens. I bought this for my trip to Namibia and S. Africa a few years ago. At that time I was using the A850 and a number of leitaxed R lenses.

The last time my wife an I visited Cornwall was about 20 years ago. We stayed in a country club, near Praze-An-Beeble and visited places such as Lizard Point and Land's End. I enjoyed visiting that part of England, but my wife preferred the bright lights of London!

Hi Ng, that 70-400mm Sony G lens is an excellent quality lens. At 1.5KG (I had to look it up) I would have thought that it was a bit on the heavy-side to cart around on one of your long trips but it's pretty versatile, so I expect it replaced a couple of lenses in your backpack.
Praze-an-Beeble is a delightful :) little Cornish village and excellently located for exploring South of Cornwall...Ladies can't resist the the bright lights of London with all those shops enticing them in...Praze is the very opposite! It just has the very basics as far as I can see... Pub/Bakers/Post-Office/Hairdressers/Cafe/Deli and that's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.