The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Had some fun today down at Falmouth...I had forgotten just how hard it was to shoot street photography with a manual focus lens with people passing you by.
These are my feeble efforts after some previous super work from Steve, Ng, Matt, Christina and Vivek.
Both were taken wide open at F1.2 on my trusty old 58mm Rokkor.

dandrewk

Nice shots Barry. Yeah, very difficult taking street shots with manual focus. It makes me wonder how Cartier-Bresson managed. :) I guess a combination of a wide angle (25-35mm) and small aperture is required. It helps if it is a sunny day so you can still use a smaller ISO.

But then, every time I've been to Falmouth the sun was nowhere to be found. ;)

BTW, I only use the a6000 for street photos. Using the E20 lens makes for a very discreet setup, and the "in focus" keep rate is much higher.

V

Vivek

Visit Paris, Barry. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
7s, Olympus pen F 60/1.5, Paris

(Only downside is that some of the Eclairs there could cost upwards of 5 Euros (per piece!), decorated with 24K edible gold and all.)

Barry Haines

Thank you David...My reactions are just not as fast as I once was at doing this sort of thing...It was pretty frustrating when I saw I only had two acceptable images by the end of the day...I was pushing my luck with leaving the lens set to F1.2 as pedestrians walked close by me at what felt like speed...Far better to have stopped down a bit further or chosen a WA lens as you say.
That A7R shutter is just to noisey for this type of work IMO...I can now see why Vivek likes his A7S with it's silent shutter...Unfortunately I have now sold off my A6000.
I guess I was in luck...Falmouth had sun today.

Many thanks Vivek...I would love to go to Paris but taking photographs would clash with what my wife would want to do!...Which would be sitting in a cafe eating 5 Euro Eclairs all day long :LOL:

V

Vivek

Thank you David...My reactions are just not as fast as I once was at doing this sort of thing...It was pretty frustrating when I saw I only had two acceptable images by the end of the day...I was pushing my luck with leaving the lens set to F1.2 as pedestrians walked close by me at what felt like speed...Far better to have stopped down a bit further or chosen a WA lens as you say.
That A7R shutter is just to noisey for this type of work IMO...I can now see why Vivek likes his A7S with it's silent shutter...Unfortunately I have now sold off my A6000.
I guess I was in luck...Falmouth had sun today.
All correct on all counts, Barry.

Do not underestimate your contributions with your landscape photos and your generous sharing of PP techniques (if I could I would camp out at your door to learn a thing or two) here.

On the other point, well, life is full of compromises isn't it? :)

Barry Haines

Same location as the image above...But I concentrated the 58mm Rokkors F1.2 shallow depth of field on this poor guys red nose as the couple walked by.
Nailed the focus point this time...see LARGER.

LARGER

V

Vivek

At the Picasso museum, Paris. It was a remarkable experience (but for atrocities like this) to be able to view masterpieces upclose that aren't even protected by a framing glass (they had some huge classics loaned by private collectors as well).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
7s, Color Yashinon 40/1.7, Paris

Annna T

Nice shots Barry. Yeah, very difficult taking street shots with manual focus. It makes me wonder how Cartier-Bresson managed. :) I guess a combination of a wide angle (25-35mm) and small aperture is required. It helps if it is a sunny day so you can still use a smaller ISO.

But then, every time I've been to Falmouth the sun was nowhere to be found. ;)

BTW, I only use the a6000 for street photos. Using the E20 lens makes for a very discreet setup, and the "in focus" keep rate is much higher.
Cartier Bresson was mostly using a 50mm lens, from what I know.

He was a Magnum photographer and the main moto then was "F8 and be there". aka zone focusing, using DOF scales printed on the lens. Also, the max aperture was not as wide as what we have to day. F2.8 was often already considered to be a fast lens for 35mm or 90mm focals.

Plus there were good focusing helps, like the split screens in the non reflex VF : you just picked a line from your subject and when the two halves of the line became aligned, you were in focus.

V

Vivek

Cartier Bresson was mostly using a 50mm lens, from what I know.

He was a Magnum photographer and the main moto then was "F8 and be there". aka zone focusing, using DOF scales printed on the lens. Also, the max aperture was not as wide as what we have to day. F2.8 was often already considered to be a fast lens for 35mm or 90mm focals.

Plus there were good focusing helps, like the split screens in the non reflex VF : you just picked a line from your subject and when the two halves of the line became aligned, you were in focus.
Totally OT but for clarity:

HCB was one of the founders of Magnum (http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/about/history). Split focus, slow lenses etc are still available. There is even a "Henri" (Leica MM)!

nsng

I love the rural China pictures. More please! :)
Hi Vivek,

OK, a few more images from the villages we visited. Mostly shot with FE55, except the first one with the 70-400G. Even though the villages are still populated, increasingly the younger generations are leaving for the larger towns and cities in search of better jobs and education.

V

Vivek

Thank you! Top notch! :thumbs:

Continue to have your fun! :)

nsng

Had some fun today down at Falmouth...I had forgotten just how hard it was to shoot street photography with a manual focus lens with people passing you by.
These are my feeble efforts after some previous super work from Steve, Ng, Matt, Christina and Vivek.
Both were taken wide open at F1.2 on my trusty old 58mm Rokkor.
Hi Barry,

Trying to nail the focus at f1.2 is not easy. I used to have the F1.0 Noctilux and I had a hard time trying to shoot wide open. Anyway, I decided the f1.0 image was not my cup of tea and decided to sell the lens with a good profit.

In some ways, I envy you and others that have nearby access to great landscape locations. I have to travel to faraway places to capture these images. This May and June I will be in the UK and I will travel to the Isle of Skye to shoot some landscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.