The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Quick trip to the zoo today to test the A7II with long lenses. Some shots below - all hand-held. Observations:

- I like IBIS :)
- Drains battery much quicker than A7R (assuming this is due to IBIS, but haven't tested)
- Doesn't drain batteries as fast as Canon OIS (less mass to move, I assume)
- A7II has a much quieter shutter than A7R - stealthy!
- Jaggies are still there (no surprise)
- I think I'll be liking this cam!

I like these two lionesses ! They look very good and are oarticularly well framed.

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for the kind words, Anna! I have a soft spot for felines of all sizes, and these two ladies looked too attractive to me to pass them by. :)

Ron Pfister

While we're on the topic of felines, I thought I'd share this image of a male lion in the wild, taken at Kruger National Park in South Africa. I realise this is off-topic, strictly speaking, but hope you enjoy it all the same. :)

jfirneno

While we're on the topic of felines, I thought I'd share this image of a male lion in the wild, taken at Kruger National Park in South Africa. I realise this is off-topic, strictly speaking, but hope you enjoy it all the same. :)
Ron:
What a magnificent portrait. Beautiful shot.

Ron Pfister

Incidentally, I think it's interesting to compare the bokeh in these two lion portraits. To me, the bokeh of the APO-Telyt has this trademark Leica quality of smoothness combined with liveliness - hard to describe, really, but I think it is very engaging. In comparison, I find the bokeh of the Canon nice and smooth and certainly not jarring in any way, but not nearly as interesting - perhaps a bit boring, clinical. Thoughts?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

I'm coming to more and more appreciate that slight changes in lighting have a much larger effect on a photograph than large changes in equipment. While I agree about the character of Leica optics, it's very hard to conclude anything from examples not shot under identical conditions. I've certainly seen examples with the big Canon glass with superb and engaging bokeh - perhaps not at f/5.6, though.

--Matt

Ron Pfister

Matt, thanks for your input - point taken. It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison for sure. Maybe someday. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the different MF-lenses I prefer to work with now. I feel the A7II has given them a new lease of life, particularly the ones with focal lengths of 100mm and above...

k-hawinkler

Ron,

I agree with you and Matt while waiting for the A7R Mark II.
My guess, I am really spoiled by the second to none IBIS and 64 MP of my Olympus E-M5 Mark II. Although I really like the performance of my APO 280/4 I appreciate also very much the flexibility the Vario 105-280/4.2 offers and its excellent performance. The E-M5 II really has suprised me positively with the 40-150/2.8 PRO lens in beautiful light. WOW! That's quite a game changer. Sony better come out soon with their A7R II to top that.

I also wonder to which degree we can convince ourselves to be impressed by certain Leica lenses and their performance and to which degree that is based on objective facts?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

The A7II really opens up a large collection of optics to the focusing challenged among us. I never had a decent capture with the 75 Cron until mounting it on the A7II. I'm not yet comfortable with MF beyond 100mm, but am trying to learn with the Contax N 70-200. Beyond that, I have only the Canon 400/5.6, which is sharp, but does not have bokeh to write home about.

If I weren't concerned with legacy glass, the Olympus optics would be impossible to resist. I adore the 45/1.8, and the 75/1.8 is a miracle of resolution. There's always Jono's solution: Get both!

--Matt

And yes, I *am* trying to talk myself out of sampling Leica R glass. ;)

k-hawinkler

Well, I very recently got the excellent Panasonic/Leica Nocticron 42.5/1.2 for my Olympus cameras, namely E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5 Mark II (listed in ascending order of image quality). I have my own solution, namely keep cameras that work well and give me a sense of technical advance, be they of Leica, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus origin. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Well, I very recently got the excellent Panasonic/Leica Nocticron 42.5/1.2 for my Olympus cameras, namely E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5 Mark II (listed in ascending order of image quality). I have my own solution, namely keep cameras that work well and give me a sense of technical advance, be they of Leica, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus origin. :)
Wrong thread?

frozenbb

While on the topic, I recently took my Sigma 180mm 2.8 macro os to the zoo in Tucson, Arizona. I was keeping an eye on a toddler, so there wasn't much time for shooting, but I still can't believe the high quality of this optic. It's as sharp as they come (can generate alias artifacts wide open), and has none of the magenta fringing/casts seen on older lenses like the Minolta 200mm 2.8 hs. Oh, and did I mention it's stabilized and can focus down to 1:1? The problem, however, is weight: it's simply a beast. I'm not sure if I can justify keeping it, but at the same time it's hard to let go of one of the best lenses I've ever shot with. Sigma really has become a top-shelf option.

Here are two grabs from the outing, both wide open. I know, they don't comport with standard zoo photography etiquette...

iiiNelson

While on the topic, I recently took my Sigma 180mm 2.8 macro os to the zoo in Tucson, Arizona. I was keeping an eye on a toddler, so there wasn't much time for shooting, but I still can't believe the high quality of this optic. It's as sharp as they come (can generate alias artifacts wide open), and has none of the magenta fringing/casts seen on older lenses like the Minolta 200mm 2.8 hs. Oh, and did I mention it's stabilized and can focus down to 1:1? The problem, however, is weight: it's simply a beast. I'm not sure if I can justify keeping it, but at the same time it's hard to let go of one of the best lenses I've ever shot with. Sigma really has become a top-shelf option.

Here are two grabs from the outing, both wide open. I know, they don't comport with standard zoo photography etiquette...

...but there's no shutter shock!!!

V

Vivek

I know, they don't comport with standard zoo photography etiquette...
Well, I don't know. What would that be? :)

(I raise that because when I used to go to the zoo when my son was young, I had a C-V 15 f/4.5 and a Bessa L!)

frozenbb

Well, I don't know. What would that be? :)

(I raise that because when I used to go to the zoo when my son was young, I had a C-V 15 f/4.5 and a Bessa L!)
Many who do zoo photography on a regular basis seem to go to great lengths to hide the "zoo-ness," as if the animals they're shooting aren't in small cages. Personally, I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.