The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglouis

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Edit: Louis, loved the CV15mm (Mk1 & 2) in the past on film and APS-C it's obviously much improved for the Sony 7 series nowadays in a Mk3 form...but it has grown in weight and size and is no longer that lens that took up no space in your camera bag where the 16-35mm is even bigger and heavier (and obviously not a 15mm FL) but the benefits IMHO outweigh the negatives and make that a much more appealing lens to take out for the day, especially if you leave behind your CV21mm and you want to walk around the streets of London not having to keep switching lenses...Just my 2 pence worth.

Cheers Barry
Barry OT: I actually sold my WATE which I was using on an M8 when I acquired my first CV 15/4.5. Very little difference in quality (if any, truth be told) at f8.

Back on topic: the main advantage I can see of the FE16-35 for me is that it will take filters. I have mused seeing whether a good lens tech could actually remove the fixed metal petal filter on my Ultron 21 for that reason.

I have a feeling the CZ16-35 may actually be about the same weight as my Ultron!

LouisB

Viramati

^^^^ Love the Pony shot. Well timed and processed. ^^^
I had to get out of the way pretty quickly as they were being herded down a narrow lane (about 20 of them) this was taken as some of them were coming back

Barry Haines

Maybe this is going to be a filter solution:
Werner, OMG a return to water stops as filters...I will pass thank you...If I take up grave digging I might consider it :LOL:

Back on topic: the main advantage I can see of the FE16-35 for me is that it will take filters. I have mused seeing whether a good lens tech could actually remove the fixed metal petal filter on my Ultron 21 for that reason.

I have a feeling the CZ16-35 may actually be about the same weight as my Ultron!

Louis, Then the 16-35mm could be a weight saver if you intend to carry around both the CV15mm III + CV21mm Ultron, you would obviously lose a bit of speed on the 21mm Ultron otherwise it could be a good solution for you....The 16-35mm shines well at 21mm with not much vignetting, CA or distortion at that FL.
See...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54602555@N08/sets/72157649315551921/

When the CV15mm MkI came out when film was the norm (ie. no filter thread version) I had SRB filters make me up a rear gelatin filter slip on holder for taking those old Kodak thin gelatin wratten filters for B&W, which I then cut down to size but it was a pain to use in every respect but it worked without losing the hood or gaining flare...Cheers Barry

V

Vivek

When the CV15mm MkI came out when film was the norm (ie. no filter thread version) I had SRB filters make me up a rear gelatin filter slip on holder for taking those old Kodak thin gelatin wratten filters for B&W, which I then cut down to size but it was a pain to use in every respect but it worked without losing the hood or gaining flare...Cheers Barry

Barry, I Guess you meant the hood? If you pry and remove the ring that has all the lens info, you will find the notches underneath to remove a retaining ring. unscrewing that will lead you to the petal hood. You may need to put a spacer and screw the retaining ring back.

FWIW, the cap from certain 35mm film (plastic) boxes fit the rear of the Cosina 12, 15 and 21. Cutting a hole and mounting a filter then becomes easy.

Barry Haines

Barry, I Guess you meant the hood? If you pry and remove the ring that has all the lens info, you will find the notches underneath to remove a retaining ring. unscrewing that will lead you to the petal hood. You may need to put a spacer and screw the retaining ring back.

FWIW, the cap from certain 35mm film (plastic) boxes fit the rear of the Cosina 12, 15 and 21. Cutting a hole and mounting a filter then becomes easy.
Hi Vivek, yes the gelatin filter went between the rear element of the 15mm and the film/sensor.
I did find out later that the petal hood was removable when I saw them on ebay several years later...It fitted similar to a bottle cap and slid on pretty firmly to the protruding rear element housing if you get my drift...Cheers Barry

V

Vivek

That was a suggestion to remove the petal hood on the Cosina 21/1.8 :)

The other part was about the oldies. :)

Barry Haines

That was a suggestion to remove the petal hood on the Cosina 21/1.8 :)

The other part was about the oldies. :)
I think we are all oldies here............................................except for you of course :p

V

Vivek

I could not locate the plastic film box filter. Here is another one (cut out from a rubber washer) with a filter, rear mounted on my Cosina 15. Yes, it has a 49mm front filter as well. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Barry, I am very old! :lecture:

Barry Haines

I could not locate the plastic film box filter. Here is another one (cut out from a rubber washer) with a filter, rear mounted on my Cosina 15. Yes, it has a 49mm front filter as well. :)

Barry, I am very old! :lecture:
(Apologies OT) Vivek...Not quite the same...my one was machined (black anodised aluminium) to fit over and slide along the rear barrel so it didn't protrude more than 1/4 of a millimeter at the very end...it never caused any vignetting :toocool:
Sorry to hear that you are very old like the rest of us :cry:

V

Vivek

I don't know about you "lads" but I am so old that I can appreciate the efforts it takes to fold an umbrella back, very carefully. :D :ROTFL:

Barry, Why do think my solution makes a protrusion beyond your custom made one? Check the rear of your lens. It has a tiny step. That is where the rubber washer with its filter fits in snugly.

Barry Haines

I don't know about you "lads" but I am so old that I can appreciate the efforts it takes to fold an umbrella back, very carefully. :D :ROTFL:

Barry, Why do think my solution makes a protrusion beyond your custom made one? Check the rear of your lens. It has a tiny step. That is where the rubber washer with its filter fits in snugly.
(OT) Vivek...I no longer own that lens.
So your picture is just showing it resting on the top of the rear element and not actually fitted that makes more sense...So the rubber washer expands then to fit snugly on the sides with the gelatin filter butting up against.
As it's shown in your pic I'm quite certain that would vignette on FF with a SWA 15mm lens...It certainly looks like it protrudes more than 1/4 of a millimeter at the very end in your pic...Cheers Barry

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

The first is splendid, such a great scream, I'm just missing the sound but I can imagine what it was like.
The second is nice as well, but I would have preferred them to look at you.

Barry Haines

Still having fun with multi-layered tone mapping, it’s a bit like 3D chess blending and fitting all the different layers together!...Please click on larger...Cheers Barry

LARGER

Barry Haines

^^^
Very pleasing processing!
Thank you Tom...I enjoy doing it :)
Likewise I genuinely enjoy your processing as well...We all do it differently here imparting our own signature in the actual work itself...Thanks again.
Cheers Barry

V

Vivek

As it's shown in your pic I'm quite certain that would vignette on FF with a SWA 15mm lens...It certainly looks like it protrudes more than 1/4 of a millimeter at the very end in your pic...Cheers Barry
Nein! It was all checked by using something even older (a Cook-Perkins focus checker made for LTM lenses) before I deployed it for use and results confirmed it. ;)

frozenbb

Thanks Barry. I find tone mapping can get a bit cartoonish/surreal, but your images never seem to suffer from that.

Here are two more desert snaps from the American Southwest, this time with the FE 35 2.8. Each is a bit busy - unfortunately my scouting shoots turned into my only shoots during the trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.