The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks Barry. I find tone mapping can get a bit cartoonish/surreal, but your images never seem to suffer from that.

Here are two more desert snaps from the American Southwest, this time with the FE 35 2.8. Each is a bit busy - unfortunately my scouting shoots turned into my only shoots during the trip!
Very nice work again Tom ^^^
That's a pity...Would have liked to seen more from the American Southwest desert.

It certainly does get a bit cartoonish/surreal at times as you say...I have to slide the opacity down on each layer to stop it getting to out of hand.
...Cheers Barry

“Something old and something new”
Another one of my Cyanotypes (printed circa 1986) copied via the A7R...This time I used the very original Sir John Herschel formula (but cruder tonality) that Anna Atkins used for her books.
Originally taken on LF Gandolfi 10x8 + Schneider Kreuznach 300mm f5.6 Symmar S - Contact printed onto hand coated Bockingford textured 300gsm paper.
It seemed rather appropriate as Anna Atkins was born on March 16, 1799 (216 years ago today) She was the first ever person to produce an illustrated photographic book.
+ She is also the chosen front page on https://www.google.co.uk/ for today...The new bit was that it was taken on the Sony 70-200mm FE which turned up a couple of hours ago!...Exif shows the FL but not the model lens:confused:...will have to look into :(

LARGER

pegelli

^^ great effort Barry, I really like that you show us some of the older pieces of your art this way. It's also nice to see the shadow of that Gandolfi at the bottom of the frame (I assume it's not your head).

Congrats with that 70-200, I'm sure you'll put it to good use and show us some more tighter framed pictures of the beautiful Cornish landscape.

Barry Haines

Thank you Thorkil and Pieter.

I think it was a combination of the camera and myself all buried under one large Dark Cloth...Tee hee hee
The paper was way to textured even with brush coating backwards and forth to take the solution properly...it was early days when I was playing around with all these alternative types of photography...I think I must have tried around 20-30 types of alternative processes back then...great fun but very time consuming experimenting making up all the different formulae...I would rather cook a nice meal today :LOL:
Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

^^^Lovely bokeh and flowers Christina...Happy belated mothers day to you :)

One more “Oldish style” print copied on the A7R with the 70-200mm FE before I get thrown out of here for abusing this thread :LOL:
Not meant to be a lecture, just more like light hearted rambling from myself...Please scroll past if not interested...As I’m sure many of you already know all the history and it’s a bit OT anyway.
Went to Lacock Abbey (Home of William Henry Fox Talbot) about 20+ years ago, as I wanted to take a snap of the famous “Oriel Window” and finally end up with a “Paper negative”.
(For the few here who didn’t know WHFT made a “Paper Negative” of the “Oriel Window” http://www.mpritchard.com/photohistory/history/pics/orielpic.gif which I believe is still the earliest negative in existence today, more commonly known as a “Calotype” by exposing a piece of paper coated in light sensitive silver nitrate inside a camera)... A paper Calotype can easily take up to an hour to expose where I had only about 5 seconds to sort myself out but I was armed with modern film!
I knew that I would be herded past this window at speed with a couple of thousand tourists barking at my heels surging me on...So I took my rangefinder Fuji GSW690 MkIII as I knew it would make the largest negative in the shortest amount of time...When I got home I processed the negative film, then I made a positive print on “Kentmere Kentona” paper, then I made a negative print by contacting the positive paper with yet another sheet of “KK”...ended up losing practically all the detail in the paper negative which completely defeated the sole purpose of my visit.
Finished it all off by soaking the prints in dilute coffee to give the print some pseudo age to it...This was like working in complete reverse to WHFT...Cheers Barry

LARGER

frozenbb

The "Lovers" shot of mine was taken from this small mountain, known locally as "Helmet Peak." If you look closely, you can see two saguaro cactii gouped together about a third of the way up, on the left-hand side. The blurring in the foreground was due to 35mph wind gusts, which had thankfully subsided by the time I arrived on the mountain.

Adjoining this peak is an industrial copper mine. Both subjects intrigued me, but I never found the proper atmosphere/time to do them justice. The plants in the foreground are called jumping chollas, a cactus all too painfully familiar to anyone who has hiked in the region. The spines pierce through thick leather like it's butter. Word of advice: Carry a pair of needle nose pliers if you're hiking near them!

Shac

Both A7 - Wood duck with Canon 300/4 L FD and abalone closeup with 100 mm Apo Macro and Elpro (latter with a little vibrance added in RAW)

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Yesterday I went to an abandoned pre WW 1 bunker and military installation in one of the nearby woods

1: Crack in the wall

2: Deserted

3: Derelict

All 3 A850 + Minolta 70-210/4 "beercan"

MikalWGrass

Three shots of a water polo tournament at the Pompano Beach Aquatic Center. The sun was bright and high in the sky, and the play was excellent. Sony a900, Sony 70-200/2.8G with 1.4x. Photos cropped, and toned down a bit because the colors popped out of the camera. Sorry for the lack of diversity but I am itching to photograph other sports as well. Camera would not fire or focus intermittently during the day. Very frustrating.

This guy was "mugged" as soon as he went for the ball. His facial expression is real, but I think there was some added drama.

Mugging-2ap by mikalgrass, on Flickr

This happened away from the ball. #7 is the grandson of a guy who was on several Cuban Olympic water polo teams. He is a senior in high school. He was trying to take the guy in the blue cap out of the play. Photo was warmed a bit with a VSCO filter.

OffBallar by mikalgrass, on Flickr

One of the rising stars of south Florida water polo. Reds saturated a bit to liven up the caps and the ball. Blues left alone.

#36ac by mikalgrass, on Flickr

alf

Sony A7S,Carl Zeiss Sonnar FE 35mm f2,8.
f9,0 1/80s iso200.

pegelli

^^ really like that last one, great expression and posture of that player "jumping" out of the water

MikalWGrass

P, thank you. That young man is able to get farther out of the water higher than most of the other kids his age. I have a bunch of other shots of him but nothing like this shot. The shot was taken in the late afternoon when the sun wasn't so bright and I didn't have to shoot into the sun to get the shot. I was having fits with my camera so I think I was lucky to get that shot. Thanks again.

Barry Haines

Testing out the Sony 70-200mm FE lens today, pretty delighted with it so far...It resolves excellent around 135mm (handheld with OSS on).
You can just make out the gulls flying over the island in the “LARGER” image.

LARGER

Status
Not open for further replies.