The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozenbb

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Here are 4 from the archives. 4 shots, 3 lenses, all taken in the same field within a 20-minute span. I couldn't really decide what I was after that morning, and as you can see I still can't.

All were hand-held, and are presented in the order they were taken.

Pt. 1

Pt. 2

Pt. 3

Pt. 4

Barry Haines

^^^They are all excellent Tom...I Like Pt. 2 the best of those four...Cheers Barry

A few snaps taken in the beautiful Tamar Valley bordering Devon and Cornwall.

frozenbb

Thanks Barry. Love the last one of your set. Seems as though you're putting the new lens to good use!

Barry Haines

Thank you Tom...I think we both had rewarding days out ;)
I hesitated for a long time over the 70-200mm FE mainly because of one or two early bad reviews..Personally I think it's a great lens and am delighted with the results so far.

W.Utsch

Barry: What do you think about the AF of the 70-200? AF would be the only reason to "upgrade" from my Canon 70-200/4 (an excellent lens).

" The Organist "

DSC02261-1015.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Barry Haines

Barry: What do you think about the AF of the 70-200? AF would be the only reason to "upgrade" from my Canon 70-200/4 (an excellent lens).
Hi Werner, It’s nice that I can return the favour as you have always very kindly answered all of mine in the past which I much appreciate.

Well I did actually own the Canon 70-200mm F4 lens in the past in the latter “IS” image stabilised format but I sold it some 6 years ago, as you say it is/was an excellent lens but I have only ever used it on my ancient Canon 5D Mk1.
From my distance memory they both auto-focused similar in terms of speed (near too far) and hunted on close-ups with low contrast subjects. i.e. Subjects without an edge to grip on to if you get my drift...I think looking back that was probably more to do with the cameras inability than the lens itself to respond fast...Please don’t get me wrong the 70-200mm FE is no slouch either on the A7R.

My quick take is that the camera itself (A7R in our particular case) in terms of AF speed and lock on is probably crippling the very best that you can ultimately achieve from the Sony 70-200mm G lens...Judging by the A6000.
I’m not familiar with the Metabones Smart adapters like yourself...but from what I have read to date that is the bottleneck/crippling factor of the AF performance on Canon lenses with Sony cameras.
You might want to hang on just a bit longer if making the switch from the 70-200mm F4 Canon lens to the Sony equivalent if only to see if AF is improved on all native Sony lenses with the rumoured A7R upgrade...As I suspect that will be one purchase that you will be making ;)

I purchased mine from here (HK) and it arrived within a week...Good price.
Panamoz Sony SEL70200G FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS E Mount Lens

IMHO the OSS on the lens itself is well worth making the upgrade alone, together with weather sealing...You didn’t ask but in terms of IQ resolution I would have the Sony slightly ahead of the Canon...It is an impressive lens for sure with a nice rendering wide open at a lowly F4, that I would score slightly ahead or on par with the Sony 16-35mm FE...It's early days but I think it's that good!

Hope that helps...Cheers Barry

V

Vivek

Sorry OT: HK sellers! :thumbs:

MikalWGrass

Re: Fun With Sony _____

For something new - a high school lacrosse game while waiting for my kids at swim practice. Sony a900 and Sony 70-200/2.8G. Shot from the stands - wish I could have been on the sidelines on the field so I could have had a field view, but ...... Yes, I cropped. I always crop because I cannot afford the longer lenses that I want.

The shot into the sunset was toned down a bit but the orange was close to that color. No external stadium lighting because of fussy and complaining neighbors.

Lacrosse2 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

LacrosseG1 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

LacrosseG3 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

LacrosseG4 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.