The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slingers

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Wow, above that's the best images I have seen from a thin mod camera.

A7S and Contax G 45/2

A7S and Minolta 58/1.4

pegelli

Thanks :) I thought I did straighten it though. I used the LR lens profile then auto level. Maybe it's the breakwater in the upper left hand side that makes it look slightly skewed!
When I scroll the picture to the top of my screen and line up the horizon at the left (right of the breakwater) the right side of the horizon is about 1,5 mm lower. Can't trust auto level apparently ;).

Edit: just checked in photoshop, it's about 0.6 degrees leaning down on the right

frozenbb

Please post a few large samples with this combo if you can. I have been looking at picking up one of the Minolta AF zooms for use with my A7. Thanks!
I've taken perhaps 20 frames with the lens, though when I get home I'll put up some full-res samples for your perusal. It's decent stopped down, in the center, in the middle of the zoom range - as long as you correct for the heavy CA and a nasty bluish color cast! :banghead: The 100-200mm 4.5 also lacks Minolta's traditional color signature, which is too bad. It's only real asset is that it weighs very little.

I've also been trying another Minolta AF zoom, the highly regarded 35-105mm 3.5-4.5 (first version). If anything, I'm even less impressed by it. While color is generally good, it's soft throughout most of the range, and is prone to all manner of unpleasant aberration. Perhaps I got an exceedingly bad sample, but I doubt it. Also, the mfd on the 35-105 is quite long, making it a poor choice for walk around purposes.

Both of these lenses can be had for peanuts, so if you're curious, it's easy enough to try them!

jfirneno

Had some cockatoo's come to visit tonight
A7S with SEL70200G

Slingers:
How lucky you are to have such amazing parrots in your neighborhood. Australia has some of the most amazing fauna. I envy you that. I used to raise and breed reptiles and the one species I always regretted not having photographed was the shingleback skinks that I came across. By any chance have you ever taken a picture of one. They make an interesting photographic subject because of their odd texture.

Barry Haines

Barry the last shot HDR? HDR from one shot?
Very nice!

" Watermusic "
Many thanks Werner...Apologies for not coming back sooner as I had to go out earlier, yes just a single shot is all that is required.
Just process a colour shot as you would do normally + Then make a Photomatix tone mapped version from that...I generally just use one of the OTT Photomatix presets that looks right for that particular image and then tweak the sliders a bit whilst watching the histogram...Save it with a separate name and then copy and paste it on top of the original image...Now slide the opacity to around 50% to detune it’s garish look somewhat so that the original image is partly showing through, then burn, dodge and erase the areas on the Photomatix version to taste before flattening off.

“Water Music”...Very nicely Handeled :D
Love the contre-jour lighting and especially the dew drop on the end of the statues nose...Glad you chose to do it in BW as opposed to colour, I'm sure that suits the image better...Cheers Barry

Daffodils are my personal favourite flowers...Most years we travel to Trelisick Gardens to see the Cornish daffodil displays in the old stable block.
Very low lighting levels in the stables so all these images were shot WO handheld with the 16-35mm FE.

PS. Christina, very nice ^^^ don't let Pieter get to you :toocool:
When Pieter gets his protractor out we are all doomed :mad:
Don't forget that he lives below sea level so he always has an eye on the horizon :p

Slingers

Slingers:
How lucky you are to have such amazing parrots in your neighborhood. Australia has some of the most amazing fauna. I envy you that. I used to raise and breed reptiles and the one species I always regretted not having photographed was the shingleback skinks that I came across. By any chance have you ever taken a picture of one. They make an interesting photographic subject because of their odd texture.
No I haven't. We don't get many lizards, only garden skinks, where I live but 5 mins down the road at my in laws they get plenty. I will keep an eye out. Here is a recent lizard but I only had my phone on me.

When I'm straightening a horizon I think of pegelli. :grin:

jfirneno

No I haven't. We don't get many lizards, only garden skinks, where I live but 5 mins down the road at my in laws they get plenty. I will keep an eye out. Here is a recent lizard but I only had my phone on me.

When I'm straightening a horizon I think of pegelli. :grin:
Nice dragon. Much cooler than the boring painted turtles in my pond. Thanks for the link.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

A7II, Tamron 150-600, f10, ISO 800. Rather wet from having rolled in the remains of our snow!
Nice! :)

So how does that work for you? You need to use an adapter LAE4 or so to mount it on the A7II, right? I am pondering how this would work for animal photography in conjunction with a A6000. With crop factor 1.5 this is an enormous reach, and the speedy burst mode might just help to get those shots.

Do you find build quality acceptable?

V

Vivek

I have not even started to scratch the potential of this camera. There is a lot of magic to be captured.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
A7s, Sony FE 28/2, ISO2000, 1/500s

frozenbb

I've been wanting to pick up an A7s as well, though I think I'll wait until one dips below $1500 usd on the used market. Shouldn't be long now.

jfirneno

I have not even started to scratch the potential of this camera. There is a lot of magic to be captured.
Vivek:

I feel the same way. Unless I need to shoot football games or post giant landscape prints, the A7S will allow me to do anything I want to with a camera. I love the files. Auto-focus is its weak point but I'm becoming very good at working around that. I love this camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.