The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Just as you guys love your A7S cameras I really like the 16-35mm FE lens, it’s just great for doing both landscapes and close up work IMHO.
Despite being 6ft 1ins tall I just couldn’t see properly over the top of this plant...I just took pot chance with the AF working out for me and dangled the camera over the top of the plant.
Considering I was shooting at arms reach one handed and wide open at F4 and so close to the leaves, I was amazed just how sharp it came out in the end...Please click on “LARGER” link below to see the detail.

LARGER

V

Vivek

I've been wanting to pick up an A7s as well, though I think I'll wait until one dips below $1500 usd on the used market. Shouldn't be long now.
There is a good chance that you might not want to use any other A7 cams after using the A7s. Be warned! :lecture: :)

Vivek:

I feel the same way. Unless I need to shoot football games or post giant landscape prints, the A7S will allow me to do anything I want to with a camera. I love the files. Auto-focus is its weak point but I'm becoming very good at working around that. I love this camera.
The AF is faster than the A7r or A7 for me. BTW, if you fix the WB in the cam, you can avoid some delays. AWB causes major hiccups.

jfirneno

The AF is faster than the A7r or A7 for me. BTW, if you fix the WB in the cam, you can avoid some delays. AWB causes major hiccups.
Hello Vivek:

I am interested in your statement about AWB. What specifically needs to be done to the AWB and how does it impact auto-focus?

frozenbb

Here are two more (windy) shots from earlier this year in the desert. I've been rather uninspired locally as of late.

Morning tracks.

Evening Tracks.

frozenbb

Thank you, Michiel.

We've had an exceptionally beautiful spring in Vancouver, but for some reason I haven't felt like trying to capture it. Whereas during a trip to the desert earlier this year, I saw photographic opportunities around every corner, but didn't have much time...

frozenbb

Incidentally, what is the function of the ship in your latest photo? I've never seen one like it.

Barry Haines

Last edited:

AlanS

Just as you guys love your A7S cameras I really like the 16-35mm FE lens, it’s just great for doing both landscapes and close up work IMHO.
Hi Barry, I must say that I am getting more interested in this lens seeing yours and others work on here, well done.

Barry Haines

Thank you Alan...I think Zeiss did a really good job with this lens...I'm not saying it's a macro lens or anything like it!...But it's certainly pretty versatile in what can be achieved with it...I like to travel light not to many lenses but this is mostly included in my bag for a day out...I think Werner was probably one of the first to get this lens...he recommended it to me and I am very glad he did ;)

Michiel Schierbeek

Incidentally, what is the function of the ship in your latest photo? I've never seen one like it.
As you may have seen in Wikipedia it is a ship for the offshore oil and gas industry. That part of the harbour in Rotterdam is full of it.

Here's another one.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Nice! :)

So how does that work for you? You need to use an adapter LAE4 or so to mount it on the A7II, right? I am pondering how this would work for animal photography in conjunction with a A6000. With crop factor 1.5 this is an enormous reach, and the speedy burst mode might just help to get those shots.

Do you find build quality acceptable?
Thanks Georg,

The Tamron build quality is excellent, tight but easily zoomed & focussed. It's very sharp up to 500 mm then gets a bit soft, but nothing a little extra sharpening in C1 can't handle.

This is the second sample - the first one had an electronic glitch and could only be focussed manually, so I had to send it back to the dealer. (Tamron gives an 8 yr warranty in Canada.)

I used to have the 70-400 G which was very sharp; I didn't sell it until I'd used the Tamron for a week or two. It had a slightly larger aperture but with today's clean high-ISO cameras I'm not concerned, and in any case I usually need the DOF.

I do use the LAEA4 adapter and found I needed to dial in -12 points of lens micro adjustment for the autofocus to be spot on. I also find the battery grip for the a7II very helpful in hand-holding the lens, though I tend to use it on a tripod - it's just too heavy to hold for long!

It's a good lens and much easier to lug around than the 500 mm f4 Canon I once had!

pegelli

PS. Christina, very nice ^^^ don't let Pieter get to you :toocool:
When Pieter gets his protractor out we are all doomed :mad:
Don't forget that he lives below sea level so he always has an eye on the horizon :p
When I'm straightening a horizon I think of pegelli. :grin:
On Dyxum they call me the horizon police :ROTFL:
I can't soften up on another forum then ;)

How does the whole frame look like? Are the corners mushy?
The corners look very good. Here's the top right corner (no worse than expected with this lens on an M I think). Bottom right is too much in the foreground to evaluate correctly.

frozenbb

Re: Fun With Sony _____

This was taken with an a6000 + Sony 35mm 1.8 - my usual toddler-capture combination. While it could have been better with an a7 series cam + sharper lens + manual stitching, I'm impressed by what the auto pan mode and almost no processing can do. Perfect? No. But fun!

Full res version available via link, in case anyone's curious.

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Thanks a lot for this Bill! I too have the 70-400 G, and so far I look at it as the very best zoom I ever had, but this Tamron is certainly very very tempting. I have no idea about the micro adjustment thing, is there a procedure that you follow to find the right settings or was this trial and error?

Thanks Georg,

The Tamron build quality is excellent, tight but easily zoomed & focussed. It's very sharp up to 500 mm then gets a bit soft, but nothing a little extra sharpening in C1 can't handle.

This is the second sample - the first one had an electronic glitch and could only be focussed manually, so I had to send it back to the dealer. (Tamron gives an 8 yr warranty in Canada.)

I used to have the 70-400 G which was very sharp; I didn't sell it until I'd used the Tamron for a week or two. It had a slightly larger aperture but with today's clean high-ISO cameras I'm not concerned, and in any case I usually need the DOF.

I do use the LAEA4 adapter and found I needed to dial in -12 points of lens micro adjustment for the autofocus to be spot on. I also find the battery grip for the a7II very helpful in hand-holding the lens, though I tend to use it on a tripod - it's just too heavy to hold for long!

It's a good lens and much easier to lug around than the 500 mm f4 Canon I once had!

Status
Not open for further replies.