The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

An oldie, anybody have an idea why the "viewfinder" has a blue glass/filter?

NEX6 + MC Rokkor 58/1.4 @ f2.8

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

An oldie, anybody have an idea why the "viewfinder" has a blue glass?
At the time when the films were only B&W I believe that the blue glass VF was used to attempt to remove the colour element to even out/remove colour differences for tone assessment of the scene.

mjm6

At the time when the films were only B&W I believe that the blue glass VF was used to attempt to remove the colour element to even out/remove colour differences for tone assessment of the scene.
With orthochromatic films, this is correct. This camera was built before pachromatic films became de rigueur.

In the panchromatic days, a green filter was often used rather than blue, because is was a more neutral rendering of the scene, relative to how the film renders various colors.

---Michael

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Barry, is that the viaduct near Okehampton in your first shot?
Bill
Hi Bill, sorry for late response, well spotted :) yes it's pretty close to Okehampton so I suspect it's the same one that you are thinking of.
They call this the Meldon viaduct, mostly used by cyclists nowadays
Meldon Viaduct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cheers Barry

In my haste to capture the lone cyclist in the centre of the viaduct (slightly better seen in the LARGER link below), I should have used a lower viewpoint to separate the tree on the left from its background...But it does show the viaduct a bit clearer.

LARGER

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Good shots, Barry - I lived in Okehampton as a child when the LSWR trains used the Meldon Viaduct. Later on, as an irresponsible but adventurous teenager I went back with a buddy and we would walk the viaduct under the rails while the trains thundered overhead. I think I still have some shots which I'll scan and post if I can find them!

Barry Haines

Good shots, Barry - I lived in Okehampton as a child when the LSWR trains used the Meldon Viaduct. Later on, as an irresponsible but adventurous teenager I went back with a buddy and we would walk the viaduct under the rails while the trains thundered overhead. I think I still have some shots which I'll scan and post if I can find them!
Thank you Bill,
That's a nice area to have grown up as a child with beautiful countryside just minutes away from Okehampton :)
The Meldon quarry rail way station is still there
Meldon Quarry railway station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...but no longer do the trains go over the viaduct...presumably it's not structurally safe for the weight of an engine with it's carriages...The track has been pulled up and now just pedestrians and cycles to and fro across it...Cheers Barry

Lots of dilapidated rail carriages in the Meldon quarry railway yard, this was just a few feet from the viaduct.

LARGER

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

White peacock at the castle in Mesnières en Bray where we had dinner last night at a cook school. (crop)

Status
Not open for further replies.