The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrigan63

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

From a shoot on Thursday.
A7II

Tried a new light - Rovelight from Adorama.
Great shot! A couple of questions:

1. Did you use one or two Rovelights?
  2. Does the included remote for the Rovelight suck as much as all the reviewers claim?

Barry Haines

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Nice shot Barry, your eye was already pretty good then (sensors not)

Before they were called Sony the DSLR's were called Konica Minolta ;)

Here's one from Venice in 2007, at that time 6MP was considered "huge" :toocool:
Another oldie with the Sony DSC-R1 taken in the Dordogne in the Gardens of Eyerignac - Dordogne 2007
As you say Pieter not many pixels in the early days...I would try anything to increase the number of pixels by fooling around like this one (Mirror imaging).
Old processing just updated with a frame and then downsized...I guess I got lucky on this occasion as I managed to capture a ghost! ;)

LARGER

JMaher

Thanks,

One Rovelight. Used the Phottix 27" folding beauty dish.

The reviews on the remote were so bad I used a Phottix Odin trigger. However one of the main reasons to use the Rovelight is high speed synch and the included remote will not do that. The Odin will and works great with the A7II and will do HSS up to 1/8000. You can put the trigger that comes with the light in your pocket and still control the light output while using the Odin to trigger it.

Jim

etrigan63

Thanks,

One Rovelight. Used the Phottix 27" folding beauty dish.

The reviews on the remote were so bad I used a Phottix Odin trigger. However one of the main reasons to use the Rovelight is high speed synch and the included remote will not do that. The Odin will and works great with the A7II and will do HSS up to 1/8000. You can put the trigger that comes with the light in your pocket and still control the light output while using the Odin to trigger it.

Jim
Can you send me a link to the Odin Trigger Set for Sony? I only find the one for the old Minolta hotshoe.

MikalWGrass

Carlos, your photos are looking great. I think your time alone combing the environs of South Miami sans posse, has paid off. I can't wait for you to post your photos from your summer vacation.

My wife, 14 yr old son, and I were at the Pasion de Cielo across from the Dadeland Mall yesterday. I really wish there would be one near our house.

I can't seem to bring my camera with me for the general shooting purposes because I have been so used to shooting action stuff. Any hints?

Thank you. All the best.

etrigan63

Carlos, your photos are looking great. I think your time alone combing the environs of South Miami sans posse, has paid off. I can't wait for you to post your photos from your summer vacation.

My wife, 14 yr old son, and I were at the Pasion de Cielo across from the Dadeland Mall yesterday. I really wish there would be one near our house.

I can't seem to bring my camera with me for the general shooting purposes because I have been so used to shooting action stuff. Any hints?

Thank you. All the best.
The one I photographed was in Sunset Place, Mikal. As for the general purpose stuff, get something that is easier to carry. That's why I went mirrorless. My wife has gotten used to me dragging my camera bag with me all of the time now, and is a lot smaller than your full action rig. Maybe a used RX1/RX1r, which will force you to shoot more methodically.

Last edited:

JMaher

Carlos,

Although they list an option for the Sony A7 series I could not locate one either. I bought the Odin trigger and receiver for the Minolta shoe and the Sony ADP-MAA adapter. I was initially concerned about the extra piece inserted into the mix but pleasantly surprised at how well it all works together.

Jim

etrigan63

Carlos,

Although they list an option for the Sony A7 series I could not locate one either. I bought the Odin trigger and receiver for the Minolta shoe and the Sony ADP-MAA adapter. I was initially concerned about the extra piece inserted into the mix but pleasantly surprised at how well it all works together.

Jim
I guess the Odin transmitter weighs much less than a Sony flash. Phottix announced Odin II at Photokina last year, but it has yet to surface.

JMaher

The transmitter weighs less than it looks like it would. Much less than a flash.

There seems to be no ETA for the Odin II. I gave up looking for it to appear and moved on.

Jim

MikalWGrass

Carlos, I still have 2 M6 cameras, one of which I want to sell, and one that I will keep forever. That camera forces me to shoot more methodically. I am not working at the moment so camera gear buying is a far second to finding work.

etrigan63

Carlos, I still have 2 M6 cameras, one of which I want to sell, and one that I will keep forever. That camera forces me to shoot more methodically. I am not working at the moment so camera gear buying is a far second to finding work.
I hear you. Then I suggest you grab some film and use what you have.

pegelli

^^ Great shot of the Dordogne Barry and a great way to increase resolution on older sensors. I think the different coloured doors as well as the ghost are a nice touch to an idea that was already pretty good in the base case. The Pizza boy is quite funny, especially since that counter to normal form his mustache is not drawn on, but a genuine part of the original picture.

I was in the Dordogne last weekend, not for a very fun reason (the burial of my uncle) but I managed to take a walk through Lalinde between the different happenings and take a few shots of those typical scenes you can only find in rural France.

Here's the first, a French balcony:

NEX6 + Zuiko 85/2

Barry Haines

Pieter sorry to hear about your uncle...I assumed wrongly that you was going on vacation.
We have had a discussion before about Lalinde in the Dordogne it's a lovely area for sure, a shame that it wasn't for a more happier occasion your visit.
Thank you for your kind words...The variety of doors, windows and shutters seem almost infinite to photograph in the Dordogne you managed to find an excellent more interesting one...Cheers Barry

MikalWGrass

A little early summer fun. This bridge is about a mile from my house, and I pass it several times a day. Ten days ago was the first time I had a chance to shoot the jumpers, without the police being around to chase them away. Gear: Sony a900 and Minolta 35/2. The photos are cropped out of necessity. Anything longer than 35 would have prevented me from following the jumpers from when they jumped until when they landed. Question: is there software out there that would have let me stitch (merge) all of the photos into one so I would be able to see the jump sequence from the initial jump to the landing in one frame, sort of like on a GoPro? In the second photo the kid jumped over the railing and then into the water. I want that in one photo if possible.

Unfortunately, I was limited in where I could stand while taking the photos because of where the security fence is, and because I was not about to get into the water without a waterproof housing on my camera. I think I can stand in a different area but I would need a 24mm to get what I need.

Flip4- by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

RailJump7 by Mikal Grass, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.