The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

UHDR

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Some sand dunes images, Sahara desert, Morocco. A7r w/70-400G

I prefer the b&w images.

that first one is truly mind blowing.

70-400mm is quite a load for a desert walk!

pegelli

^^ Those are pretty nice travel pictures Slingers. Seems you had a great time :thumbup:

nsng

that first one is truly mind blowing.

70-400mm is quite a load for a desert walk!
Thanks! Most of the time, the 70-400 was in my room. In this case, I shot these sand dunes just outside the inn I was staying. It was very windy and dusty and it would have been very difficult to walk closer to these dunes. I was glad I brought the 70-400 along for this trip. My backpack with the M240 and A7R plus several lenses, batteries and filters weigh in at 10kg plus, not something I would like to carry to trek across the desert.

biglouis

First samples from the new Sony FE 2.9/90 Macro G OSS lens that I purchased yesterday.

NOTE: in each one of the samples you can click through to a full-sized jpeg. These may take some time to load.

Nice colours

f2.8 iso200

Not too sure about the bokeh in this one. A bit too swirly, I think.

f2.8 iso200

The main purpose for including the next shot is to demonstrate the incredible sharpness of this lens. Take a look at the passenger on the top deck of the bus in full size mode.

f8 iso320

This is where it gets really interesting. Take a look at the full size of this image and at the face of the performers in the next two photographs. Considering this is wide open I think it is pretty damn good.

f2.8 iso400

f2.8 iso400

An example for landscape purposes. Lots of detail even up to the edges (you can see how the pigeons on the left have found a convenient place to shelter).

f8 iso64

I took this final one in manual focus mode focused on the knot of shanks at a relatively slow speed. I think it demonstrates how easy it is to manually focus the lens and also the value of inbuilt OSS stabilisation.

f8 iso400 1/50

Bottom line, this is a very sharp lens, with very nice colouration. It compliments my A7R very well and I suspect it will also be very good on the upcoming A7RII. The AF to Manual override is very well thought out, you pull back the focus ring and it engages the distance scale. The scale itself is not only very clear but shows both the distance and the macro magnification factor (e.g. 1:1, 1:2 etc). The focus throw is large and very accommodating for macro purposes. The focus is very smooth but in my opinion not stiff enough. This means it is easy to overshoot your target but I expect with practise I will become more accurate. Viewfinder magnification and focus peaking are automatically engaged when manually focussing (although the magnification is a preference set in the camera and can be turned off).

From these samples I cannot fault the image quality, the colouration or the ergonomics of the lens. But beware it is a very big object and will take up the space equivalent to a large zoom lens in your camera bag.

LouisB

PS Quick addendum of a not very good shot taken on my desk of a size comparison between the 90, 24-70 and 55 FE lenses. I told you. It is a BIG lens. I can't believe how it dwarfs the 24-70 which I consider to be a big lens.

Last edited:

etrigan63

Supercon 2015. Plenty of folks in outlandish costumes wanting to be photographed.

Doctor Fate by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Poison Ivy and Friend by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Raven and Beast Boy by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

<sigh> Deadpools by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

My, you're a tall one... by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Yukio and Rin Okamura - Blue Exorcist by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Erm... by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

I'm Not Sure What This Is. by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

nsng

The medina at Fez. Inside the medina (old city), it is a maze of hundreds lanes and alleys, some so narrow only a single person could go through. A7R w/180 Apo-Elmarit R

W.Utsch

" 'Nutrition' "

Composing of 2 shots

The irony:
This is a barley test field of the 'BASF The Chemical Company'
Testing : Fungicide, Herbicide and Pesticide

'Nutrition' by Werner Utsch, on Flickr​

biglouis

Because its there. Southsea Police Station (now closed). I really like the lamps.

A7R+CV 1.8/21mm

Status
Not open for further replies.