The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 7792

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

Quentin, congratulations and thanks very much for sharing your images with those of us who are waiting and envious. :)

I found some RAW files on the Photography Blog here this morning and downloaded a couple. Slow download. I walked away from the computer and came back later only to discover that I had downloaded a RAW that was shot at ISO 102,400. At least that's what the "File Info" in PS CC said. Holy crap! No noise. Clean and sharp using the FE 90mm macro. If those files are legit and representative of what the a7R II is capable of, I'm gobsmacked!! And impatiently waiting for B&H and UPS.

Joe

Viramati

And a somewhat bonkers ISO 102,400 shot with some luminance NR in ACR....

Not noise free, but oddly useable!

Would love to see the original ARW file of some high iso shots as if they are this good I would trade in my A7s when I pick up the camera. Any chance of putting something in dropbox

Quentin_Bargate

And a somewhat bonkers ISO 102,400 shot with some luminance NR in ACR....

Not noise free, but oddly useable!

Would love to see the original ARW file of some high iso shots as if they are this good I would trade in my A7s when I pick up the camera. Any chance of putting something in dropbox
I could, but I think I should get a better shot first. This was shot through an apartment window in very low light

tashley

Subscriber Member

Thanks for sharing these Quentin - much appreciated! Mine arrived yesterday but I am in Poland with an RX100 IV (itself a lot of fun!) so I won't get my mitts on the A7RII for another few days. In the meantime I drool over your samples and eagerly await your further opinions!

Best
Tim

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks for sharing these Quentin - much appreciated! Mine arrived yesterday but I am in Poland with an RX100 IV (itself a lot of fun!) so I won't get my mitts on the A7RII for another few days. In the meantime I drool over your samples and eagerly await your further opinions!

Best
Tim
Tim

Well you - and anyone else waiting to get their hands on a new A7RII - can rest assured you have chosen wisely :)

Its early days, but I already wonder if this camera will fulfill my long cherished ambition of ticking the box of just about every photographic need: high enough resolution for tripod mounted landscapes, connected enough for studio food / still life, fast enough for street photography, compact enough for travel, and so on. Faster primes needed, of course, but then so many other lenses can be used with an adapter maybe its not an issue. I really look forward to what you and others cook up with this monster!

Quentin_Bargate

Well, some do require a 2nd mortgage even in this day and age :p

But seriously though, I agree completely, we're all spoilt and yet want more, more. Not that long ago we were struggling with film and slides, unable to print large or print at all.

As I've been saying, these are truly interesting times......

Great pictures Quentin, BTW, the camera truly looks very promising. Thanks for posting.
Thanks, Pradeep - I see you own an A7R. The A7RII is a far more capable beast.

Rawfa

I was going to ask for some mere raw files at 6400, 8000 and 12800...but after taking a look at that insane photo at iso 100k I'm guessing it's pointless :)

Rawfa

Just downloaded some 8000 and 12800 raw files from another forum and with no work at all they are clean...and I mean CLEAN.

Could it be? One camera to rule them all??

dandrewk

What more do we need, hope for? Will this (finally) be the last camera body we buy?

Unless someone develops a camera with all these features/performance, AND cures lower back pain, this will probably be the last camera I purchase.

k-hawinkler

Thank you so much Quentin. Your images are a real treat.
I am glad I have pre-ordered the A7RII. Hopefully it arrives soon.
Will keep my A7R nonetheless.
Thanks again.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Edit...I would just like to add and give a little plug, hoping that is OK for Andreas Resch’s excellent Web Sharpener :thumbs:
Version V1.0d is now out for Photoshop CS4 upwards (WIN/MAC)
Web Sharpener - Better Sharpening for the WebAndreas Resch ? Naturfotografie
I have been using it a little while now and it is truly brilliant IMHO...It allows even further fine tuning than the previous earlier versions and does seem to be a genuine improvement on what was already a wonderful Photoshop Script to start with...Cheers Barry

Last edited:

hcubell

Tim

Well you - and anyone else waiting to get their hands on a new A7RII - can rest assured you have chosen wisely :)

Its early days, but I already wonder if this camera will fulfill my long cherished ambition of ticking the box of just about every photographic need: high enough resolution for tripod mounted landscapes, connected enough for studio food / still life, fast enough for street photography, compact enough for travel, and so on. Faster primes needed, of course, but then so many other lenses can be used with an adapter maybe its not an issue. I really look forward to what you and others cook up with this monster!
Thanks, Quentin. Everything looks impressive on the web JPEGs, but the lack of lossless compression sure looks like a major problem.

Are we ready for the inevitable "A7RII and Why I am (Not) Keeping It" thread?

k-hawinkler

Thanks, Quentin. Everything looks impressive on the web JPEGs, but the lack of lossless compression sure looks like a major problem.

Are we ready for the inevitable "A7RII and Why I am (Not) Keeping It" thread?
Very funny. I like the thought.
Once my A7RII has arrived I wonder how I can change an old thread title to:

A7R and A7RII and Why I am Keeping both! :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Looks like I guessed correctly. I sold the A7II and the A7r. I knew this would replace both of them. Shipping out the A7II tomorrow to its new owner. I've been planning this one for awhile. The one outside shot said it all to me. Perfect and yes it has more DR, that's very clear to me.

Also I have been away for 3 weeks and finally get home tommorrow. I kicked butt today drove over 900 miles in a truck. Only 300 left

AlexLF

I tried A7II (not R) in the store today and it felt like the handling is ... not great compared to Nikon D800 I had. The main issue is ... my nose :) It just sets against the camera body when looking to a EVF. And I don't have a big nose... Another observation is dials are less reachable than on bigger bodies. I know there must be sacrifices, of course. But is it just me? Or is this just an easy to get used to?

Quentin_Bargate

I tried A7II (not R) in the store today and it felt like the handling is ... not great compared to Nikon D800 I had. The main issue is ... my nose :) It just sets against the camera body when looking to a EVF. And I don't have a big nose... Another observation is dials are less reachable than on bigger bodies. I know there must be sacrifices, of course. But is it just me? Or is this just an easy to get used to?
to be honest, I never liked the handling of the A7R. It also felt a bit soulless - a camera to respect rather than love. Im going to see if love blossoms with the A7RII over the coming days and weeks :cool: In image quality terms, its winner. Handling - well, that's more subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.