The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglouis

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

And a somewhat bonkers ISO 102,400 shot with some luminance NR in ACR....

Not noise free, but oddly useable!

When the camera was announced I did make the observation that I wondered if owning an A7S for still photography would still be necessary.

Looking at this: I think not.

LouisB

turtle

I think we can assume an updated A7S II will come along and leap ahead further still in terms of high ISO performance. I can't see it taking longer than 6 months. I wonder if then Sony will slow down on the release cycle now that the Mk II cameras are almost universally recognised as a big improvement on the originals and pump out the lenses. Interesting times.

Rawfa

I could not be more sold. Just to be cautious I'm going to wait until I get the A7RII before I sell my D610 to cover part of the costs.
My biggest fear right now is much Brazilian customs is going to steal from me once the camera arrives :(

Viramati

I have to say I am in a real quandary over the A7s issue as from what I am hearing and seeing it maybe that the rII may will be more than enough for what I need in lowlight photography. It also looks like it may be better with some of the Leica M lenses though I no longer own the summicron 28 asph which was just terrible on the previous A7's since I bought the Leica Q. Anyway I had already decided to sell the A7II to go towards funding the rII and now might also sell the A7s. Now that I have the Leica Q it is getting harder to justify 2 other bodies as when I do any PR/documentary work I tend to work with 2 bodies and a 28 on one and 50 on the other so I can now do this with the Q and A7rII with FE55. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to ask for some mere raw files at 6400, 8000 and 12800...but after taking a look at that insane photo at iso 100k I'm guessing it's pointless :)
Any chance of letting us know where these are

Quentin_Bargate

RBS bank HQ reflections

Definitely seeing quite a "creamy" low contrast rendition out of camera. Good material to work with

Shadow recovery is spooky because there is so little noise.

Jim DE

Those images look great, Quentin! If I get half those results I will be very pleased with my decision to pre order the a7rII.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share these images with us. I, like probably most everyone else that is still waiting for our release date to arrive, look around the web for sample images. Yours are by far the best I have seen other than the manufacturers released images which also are good but expectedly so. Thanks again for sharing these with us, Quentin.

Now the only test I will have to make when mine gets here is if the a7rII can get me to pull my CG28mm back out of the ContaxG2 kit and be able to use it on this digital body. I fully expect my CG45 and CG90 to still work well as they have on all the NEX bodies but the 35mm and 28mm went back in the ContaxG2 kit since I bought the NEX 7 due to color shift and smearing. This now is my only remaining unanswered question regarding this new body. I own the CG21 as well but hold no hope of that one working well. I love the cg21mm on the ContaxG2 with slide film but the results I saw with cut to fit 21's on NEX or a7x bodies don't even come close to this lenses potential on its film body. On the contaxG2 I have always considered the 21mm the best of the lenses available for it(never owned the 16mm).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Have to say this. It's a completely different looking beast and for the better. The DR and smoothness of file is really showing. This is going to require some nice test shooting for everyone. We need to see how our glass reacts to this. Can't wait for mine. I ordered through Amazon but I'm looking for a non tax site to have one in stock.

Quentin_Bargate

Jim

Thanks. I'm also interested in other lenses and how they perform. The 16-35mm, the only lens I have thus far had a chance to use, is good, although there is some corner softness visible.

One wonders about the Batis lenses also on the A7RII.

Fun times :grin:

Those images look great, Quentin! If I get half those results I will be very pleased with my decision to pre order the a7rII.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share these images with us. I, like probably most everyone else that is still waiting for our release date to arrive, look around the web for sample images. Yours are by far the best I have seen other than the manufacturers released images which also are good but expectedly so. Thanks again for sharing these with us, Quentin.

Now the only test I will have to make when mine gets here is if the a7rII can get me to pull my CG28mm back out of the ContaxG2 kit and be able to use it on this digital body. I fully expect my CG45 and CG90 to still work well as they have on all the NEX bodies but the 35mm and 28mm went back in the ContaxG2 kit since I bought the NEX 7 due to color shift and smearing. This now is my only remaining unanswered question regarding this new body. I own the CG21 as well but hold no hope of that one working well. I love the cg21mm on the ContaxG2 with slide film but the results I saw with cut to fit 21's on NEX or a7x bodies don't even come close to this lenses potential on its film body. On the contaxG2 I have always considered the 21mm the best of the lenses available for it(never owned the 16mm).

ShooterSteve

Fantastic news! I had no doubt this camera would be this good but the skeptic in me was hesitant to believe it until I saw it. I would imagine many of us would also like to know how it performs with Canon glass too. Looking forward with playing with one soon.

iiiNelson

Exciting times for sure. Great samples even at web sizes. I'm pretty stoked about how prints could potentially turn out.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I tried A7II (not R) in the store today and it felt like the handling is ... not great compared to Nikon D800 I had. The main issue is ... my nose :) It just sets against the camera body when looking to a EVF. And I don't have a big nose... Another observation is dials are less reachable than on bigger bodies. I know there must be sacrifices, of course. But is it just me? Or is this just an easy to get used to?
It's not just you, me too... And it could be our noses, mine is a pretty long and pointed schnoz. Anyway, the A7r actually suited me better than the A7II, mostly due to grip configuration. A7rII is *not* on my radar -- I am going to wait for that sensor to show up in the Nikon D900 (or whatever) in a few months, and get that version as I have a great stable of glass.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the images Quentin has posted, but the poor (for me) ergos and relative dearth of good AF glass has bumped me off the Sony A platform.

Caveat is, I do have my A7r at LifePixel getting a full-spectrum convert, but I sold off all my dedicated A glass except a 24-70 and of course have a Metabones Nikon to Sony converter for my N glass.

ohnri

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the images Quentin has posted, but the poor (for me) ergos and relative dearth of good AF glass has bumped me off the Sony A platform.
Funny, the excellent AF glass is one reason I just sold my D4 and D800 and collection of Nikon lenses.

No sports camera in the FE line up is my biggest complaint. I am using my Samsung NX1, which has many fine qualities but lens selection is not among them.

Oh, I would also enjoy a nice macro flash for the Sony.

-Bill

iiiNelson

It's not just you, me too... And it could be our noses, mine is a pretty long and pointed schnoz. Anyway, the A7r actually suited me better than the A7II, mostly due to grip configuration. A7rII is *not* on my radar -- I am going to wait for that sensor to show up in the Nikon D900 (or whatever) in a few months, and get that version as I have a great stable of glass.

Caveat is, I do have my A7r at LifePixel getting a full-spectrum convert, but I sold off all my dedicated A glass except a 24-70 and of course have a Metabones Nikon to Sony converter for my N glass.
No need to justify preferences. I will say that the grips improve the ergonomics a great deal for me but I have pretty large hands even for my height.

dwood

Exciting times for sure. Great samples even at web sizes. I'm pretty stoked about how prints could potentially turn out.
Indeed. I used to shoot an A7R and made a fair number of prints, 24x36 being the largest. They were excellent. Even based on these JPEG's that Quentin has shared, I think the sensor in this "II" version is in another league. I suspect prints will be quite outstanding.

Lictor

I know, I had the same feeling but not with A7II, but with a7 and a7r. When they came out I went into a Sony store to check them out as a potential replacement for my Nikon system, as they would allow me to use my FD glass. I was so dissatisfied with ergonomics and then took the a99 and it was almost perfect. I can't understand why Sony who had such a great layout with joystick and everything already in their line-up didn't use that, but went with something different?!

But the a7rII may have enough of the image quality jump to push me over the edge. :cool:

I tried A7II (not R) in the store today and it felt like the handling is ... not great compared to Nikon D800 I had. The main issue is ... my nose :) It just sets against the camera body when looking to a EVF. And I don't have a big nose... Another observation is dials are less reachable than on bigger bodies. I know there must be sacrifices, of course. But is it just me? Or is this just an easy to get used to?

dandrewk

I was concerned the file sizes would slow down LR6 too much on my retina monitor. I was planning to down-rez the monitor to accommodate the 2x (compared to A7II) file size.

However, after downloading some RAW files from the A7rII and manipulating them, I don't think it will be necessary. The graphics support added with LR6 seems to be up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.