The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Anna's Hummingbird

a7II, Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L, extension tube

doug

Doug, terrific shots. Have you given up on your Leica setup?
I'm not sure I've given up yet, certainly the R8/DMR is getting a lot less use since I bought the Sony. The weight of the Leica equipment was the primary motivation; the a7ii with FD 500 weighs less than the R8/DMR with 280/4 APO. I have an adapter for R lenses, it remains to be seen how much I'll use the 280. As much as I love the 280's image quality its weight has been keeping me from taking it into the field.

Doesn't hurt that the Sony can use a LOT more lenses, and much less costly lenses, than the R8/DMR can.

biglouis

Rolls Royce Bristol Thor ramjet engine on top of a Bloodhound missile on display at the RAF Radar Museum at Neatishead.

Sony A7S+CZ24-70

Quentin_Bargate

Many thanks Quentin, likewise I have been enjoying your A7RII images in the East End of London...Processed beautifully as usual :)
The camera does look to be a significant step up on the A7R in so many departments that I am having a very hard time resisting it at the moment!...Thank you for all the time that you have put in to answering all of our outstanding queries and download links as it can be quite time consuming being the earliest adopter of a new camera...Cheers Barry
Thanks, Barry

I am currently engaged in an internal struggle. The one camera that has given me the most satisfaction over the last few years is the Sigma DP2 Merrill, and to a lesser extent its siblings. But that camera is very limited in regard to high ISO. But one of the things it shines at is fine discrimination of colour and texture.

Now logically the Sony A7RII blows it out of the water - even assuming some measure of superiority for the the Foveon sensor in the Merrill. A guy on the LuLa forum says his tests show that the high ISO performance of the A7RII may have been achieved at the expense of nuanced colour rendition. That worries me a little, if true. Probably not enough to make me quit the new A7RII but enough to keep a Merrill handy!

Barry Haines

Thanks, Barry

I am currently engaged in an internal struggle. The one camera that has given me the most satisfaction over the last few years is the Sigma DP2 Merrill, and to a lesser extent its siblings. But that camera is very limited in regard to high ISO. But one of the things it shines at is fine discrimination of colour and texture.

Now logically the Sony A7RII blows it out of the water - even assuming some measure of superiority for the the Foveon sensor in the Merrill. A guy on the LuLa forum says his tests show that the high ISO performance of the A7RII may have been achieved at the expense of nuanced colour rendition. That worries me a little, if true. Probably not enough to make me quit the new A7RII but enough to keep a Merrill handy!
Hi Quentin, I think the very nature of the Foveon type sensor (3 layers) is always going to show an advantage, albeit perhaps a slight advantage in terms of colour rendition at base ISO's Vs a regular CMOS or BSI CMOS sensor at base ISO's.
The Foveon sensor Achilles heel is the increased noise at higher ISO's...If you need neutral accurate colour for record photography purposes then the wise thing to do is probably keep the pocketable DP2M if only to see how far the current and future Sony A7's stray somewhat from the truth in terms of their colour response ;)
Personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over it but then I'm probably not the best person to ask as hardly any of my images represent an accurate rendition of what's in front of any of my lenses ;)
But...
If it came down to a battle of better colours but with increased noise (DP2M) at high ISO's Vs lower noise with very slightly distorted colours (A7RII) at high ISO's...The A7RII would win hands down personally for me.
The A7RII would be perfect for me with all those whacky colours ;)
My internal struggle is altogether different - I'm currently trying not to press the BIN :D
Cheers Barry

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

Retow, that 58/1.4 looks sharper than ever!:thumbup:

eleanorbrown

Enjoy seeing all these images!!! Thanks. My A7rII hopefully should arrive tomorrow and my fabulous incredible new Zeiss 35mm 1.4 will go on it! Will be driving over the high Trail Ridge Road tomorrow in Rocky Mountain National Park and hope to get some shots there ...hoping for good light. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

Quentin, speaking of handling....I currently have the A7r and for me personally it has the worst eyecup I've ever had.....(i.e.: hard as a rock with no cushion at all). Does the A7rII have any cushion on the eyecup at all? All my others cameras have always cushioned nicely against my eye and face. Thanks, Eleanor

to be honest, I never liked the handling of the A7R. It also felt a bit soulless - a camera to respect rather than love. Im going to see if love blossoms with the A7RII over the coming days and weeks :cool: In image quality terms, its winner. Handling - well, that's more subjective.

iiiNelson

I think this is the camera that will definitely bring many unfamiliar to Sony over. With that being said I think it's important to mention the learning curve that many will have to adjust to with Sony cameras - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND COMING TO TERMS WITH EXPOSING TOWARDS THE LEFT OF CENTER... PLEASE!!!

Generally it's very easy to bring up shadow detail in Sony cameras. It's also very easy to blow highlights all the way out.

k-hawinkler

I think this is the camera that will definitely bring many unfamiliar to Sony over. With that being said I think it's important to mention the learning curve that many will have to adjust to with Sony cameras - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND COMING TO TERMS WITH EXPOSING TOWARDS THE LEFT OF CENTER... PLEASE!!!

Generally it's very easy to bring up shadow detail in Sony cameras. It's also very easy to blow highlights all the way out.

ETTC, no? :thumbup:

eleanorbrown

Thanks Quentin, but does it have any "cushion" in the rubber at all? My A7r eyecup is rubber but has no cushion and hard as a rock. Very uncomfortable for me to hold comfortably against my eye area. thanks again, eleanor

Eleanor

Yes, it has a rubber eye cup!

Quentin_Bargate

Busy Streets!

London, junction of Commercial Street and Hanbury Street, by Spitalfields.

A7RII, 35mm F/2.8, ISO3,200

Status
Not open for further replies.