The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim DE

Re: Fun with sony A7RII images

Vivek, I did not look at that article but every digital camera I have ever owned will show 60cycle banding with fluorescent lighting.

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks Quentin, but does it have any "cushion" in the rubber at all? My A7r eyecup is rubber but has no cushion and hard as a rock. Very uncomfortable for me to hold comfortably against my eye area. thanks again, eleanor
It's not well cushioned...hard-ish, especially at the top.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I was just asked what I thought.

Buy 2 of them while you got the chance. Its better than we thought . The DR on it is scary. Here is the bottom line , it just freaking works as it should. Processing a few files now

V

Vivek

Vivek, I did not look at that article but every digital camera I have ever owned will show 60cycle banding with fluorescent lighting.
Jim, Two differnt things in that post. Every A7s owner would agree with my personal experience with banding under fluoresent light (single, to be specific) and silent shutter mode. The banding is ABSENT when the camera is switched to EFCS.

The other thing is about 12bit vs 14bit- that I agree with.

Basically, the silent shutter, though a very useful feature, has its limitations which are not minor.

Guy Mancuso

Okay I went outside the house at noon, Biggest mistake of all time. Cranking 111 out there which is not fit for snakes never mind human beings. I did not last to long but did get a few off. I started here first. LOL

Than I wound up in a bar

ISO 3200

ISO 3200

Than I ordered some lunch. Not a very productive day

Okay I have more but the key above if you did not catch on was ISO 3200 is seriously a very clean file

Guy Mancuso

This maybe all you need to know. Normal shot with a 15mm VC

You say you want more Dynamic Range in your files. Folks this is the worst light on the planet and I can save it with one small stroke of a slider

Go ahead your allowed to scream . Holy **** hot damn and anything else you can think of.

Chris C

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Quentin – If you still have any 'legacy' wide angle M-fit lenses, and have the time, I'd be very curious to read your thoughts on their a7RII behaviour. [Particularly if you still have the Zeiss ZM 35mm f2.8 C-Biogon].

Thank you for your posts so far.

.......... Chris

Guy Mancuso

In all seriousness which I know you all have a hard time believing me this does rock. Obviously though not enough shooting time and Im heading out in the morning than running some tests this weekend in Flagstaff where it is much cooler. I will say this, a lot of us have struggled with various issues with the 7 series and maybe we all jumped in too soon on it. Somedays it felt like that with not enough glass, support and pesky issues that made you work your tail off. But in the end we got great files. I can promise you this , your not having to have to work so hard this time. Everything just feels so bloody nice and smooth. Feels like you took a tranquilizer using it, just everything feels more like butter than churning it. Lots to test and lots to get through but we need to stand up and at least give Sony a shout out.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Even harder getting the highlights down

So the DR is certainly there and even better in my mind than the A7r

dwood

Who wants to buy an excellent condition D810? Kidding. No, I'm not. Yes, I am...

Quentin_Bargate

Bit worried about your diet, Guy, but have to agree :)

Okay I went outside the house at noon, Biggest mistake of all time. Cranking 111 out there which is not fit for snakes never mind human beings. I did not last to long but did get a few off. I started here first. LOL

Than I wound up in a bar

ISO 3200

ISO 3200

Than I ordered some lunch. Not a very productive day

Okay I have more but the key above if you did not catch on was ISO 3200 is seriously a very clean file

eleanorbrown

Guy I will be interested to hear how you think these new Sony A7rII files at base iso of 100 compare to the tonal and color transitions, creamy smoothness, etc. of medium format Phase One files. Thanks! Eleanor

In all seriousness which I know you all have a hard time believing me this does rock. Obviously though not enough shooting time and Im heading out in the morning than running some tests this weekend in Flagstaff where it is much cooler. I will say this, a lot of us have struggled with various issues with the 7 series and maybe we all jumped in too soon on it. Somedays it felt like that with not enough glass, support and pesky issues that made you work your tail off. But in the end we got great files. I can promise you this , your not having to have to work so hard this time. Everything just feels so bloody nice and smooth. Feels like you took a tranquilizer using it, just everything feels more like butter than churning it. Lots to test and lots to get through but we need to stand up and at least give Sony a shout out.

Guy Mancuso

Have not shot much but from what I'm seeing is a smoother tonal range across the frame which is encouraging. Have to do more shooting but it looks smoother to me

eleanorbrown

Thanks Guy. Mine is on the ups truck so I should have it soon then head off for Rocky Mountain national park. Will try to post a few...I'm taking my new Zeiss 35 1.4. Fabulous lens and also zeiss otus 55 with adapter. Eleanor

Have not shot much but from what I'm seeing is a smoother tonal range across the frame which is encouraging. Have to do more shooting but it looks smoother to me

Status
Not open for further replies.