The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

scho

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

A bright red dinner plate size hibiscus popped open this morning in our garden. A7RII+Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar.

scho

Two shots taken near the children's garden on the waterfront trail using the A7RII+CV 15mm III.

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

Hi Chris...sorry to get to this late...just saw your question...Honestly the difference between iso 50, 64, 80 and 100 on the A7RII is, for the most part, negligible. The camera is new and I am still "getting to know" my options and if they work for me or not. The only reason I'm testing lower than the native 100 iso is to see if I can get those creamy smooth color transitions and shadows that can be pulled up as much as I need, and be totally noise free. I have tested these iso's against one another, looking at the files at 400 percent (one has to be compulsive about file smoothness to do this...:-/.....I come from a large format film (iso 100) and medium format Phase One backgrounds and I want to do everything possible to get my files on this Sony as close to my Phase One files (at Phase One base iso of 50) as possible. That's just me. I wouldn't recommend others even bother with this. I probably ought to quit posting my iso's when I post an image. On my comparisons, I have found that iso 50 for instance will give me smoother areas in say a blue sky or in very deep shadows (on extremely close inspection....pixel peeping) than more closely resemble my Phase One files with the same megapixel count. But to repeat, the differences between iso 50 and 100 on the Sony are negligible. Hope this helps, Eleanor

Eleanor - ISO 64???? I'm intrigued. Your further experience of low ISO working would be greatly appreciated by me [and others I'm sure], as it's a bit overlooked in the greed for high ISO working. Please post more.

.............. Chris

Knorp

dining high&dry on a former railroad bridge

Barry Haines

Hi Chris...sorry to get to this late...just saw your question...Honestly the difference between iso 50, 64, 80 and 100 on the A7RII is, for the most part, negligible. The camera is new and I am still "getting to know" my options and if they work for me or not. The only reason I'm testing lower than the native 100 iso is to see if I can get those creamy smooth color transitions and shadows that can be pulled up as much as I need, and be totally noise free. I have tested these iso's against one another, looking at the files at 400 percent (one has to be compulsive about file smoothness to do this...:-/.....I come from a large format film (iso 100) and medium format Phase One backgrounds and I want to do everything possible to get my files on this Sony as close to my Phase One files (at Phase One base iso of 50) as possible. That's just me. I wouldn't recommend others even bother with this. I probably ought to quit posting my iso's when I post an image. On my comparisons, I have found that iso 50 for instance will give me smoother areas in say a blue sky or in very deep shadows (on extremely close inspection....pixel peeping) than more closely resemble my Phase One files with the same megapixel count. But to repeat, the differences between iso 50 and 100 on the Sony are negligible. Hope this helps, Eleanor
Hi Eleanor, you might want to take a look at this http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56376519
Annna kindly pointed out to me the same sort of thing with regards to the A7R some while ago...none the less the benefits of shooting the fake iso's below 100iso is some slightly reduced noise in the shadows but at a price of some lost highlight detail...Cheers Barry

tashley

Subscriber Member

Hi Eleanor,

My understanding is that the reason you might be seeing this is that you are effectively using ETTR when you use the fake lower ISOs. That's fine, it will almost certainly give you the more subtle transitions you crave because of the math involved, but it really is just ETTR and will give you a half stop greater risk of blowing the highlights. I think.

Barry Haines

Hi Eleanor,

My understanding is that the reason you might be seeing this is that you are effectively using ETTR when you use the fake lower ISOs. That's fine, it will almost certainly give you the more subtle transitions you crave because of the math involved, but it really is just ETTR and will give you a half stop greater risk of blowing the highlights. I think.
That's pretty much my take Tim....The tone wedge step at the bottom of this A7R page says it all.

See... Sony Alpha 7R Review: Digital Photography Review

Edit...
The "Camera histogram" as I last understood it was based on jpeg data and NOT the raw data...So when you are shooting at anything below iso 100 beware that the camera histogram may not be telling you the absolute truth with regards to your raw file...clipping of the highlight/channels is quite possible when you ETTR.

See... Beware the Histogram | RawDigger

The histogram and overexposure warning are based on the JPEG-preview, thus the raw data undergoes certain transformations: white-balancing, tonal curve application, and also the color saturation is adjusted. These transformations depend on the camera settings for white balance, contrast, saturation, color space, sharpening, etc; thus for the same scene if the camera settings are changed the histogram is also displayed differently. At the same time, the raw data depends on the exposure and the selected ISO speed rating, while other camera settings have no impact on the raw data. In other words, for a raw shooter, the histogram does not accurately reflect the real data in the image file.

Cheers Barry

Last edited:

scho

A handheld shot of some purple oxalis blossoms using the A7RII+Sony FE 90mm Macro. ISO 6400, f/11.

jim251

I rented the A-mount 70-400 f/4.0-5.6 G II for the weekend. The reach is nice but the AF doesn't support the lock-on modes like the FE lenses (they are grayed-out and unselectable.) It is a beast and I had no satisfaction with hand-holding and only after tripod mounting was I able to get some keepers. I imagine Sony will give us an FE 70-300 in the not to distant future and I think that may be the one for me...

This one, at APSC ~500mm, made possible by the amazing IBIS on the 7R2...

-Jim

scho

Some handheld A7R-FS+Sony FE 90 macro shots with and without a CC filter. Nice to have this OSS lens for the A7R-FS.

Fall crocus making an appearance early this year. (with CC filter)

Assorted plants (with CC filter)

Same, no filter

Green Oxalis plant blossom detail, no filter

D

Deleted member 7792

Grandson across the table from me at a burger joint. EXIF in border.

Joe

D

Deleted member 7792

Same kid. Same setup.

Joe

eleanorbrown

This has been a good conversation about the issues with iso 50 vs 100. Here is what I'm seeing in this comparison....any ideas?? (For compulsive pixel peepers only :). ALL SETTINGS ON CAMERA AND IN C1 THE SAME EXCEPT FOR ISO. (see lower left for details....ie: iso, Zeiss 35mm, f8, exposure, etc, etc). in Ci with same settings I took 2 files and in two images enlarged to 300 percent. One file at 100 percent. Then opened shadows wide open and tried to blow out highlights. I was interested in shadows really, say in cases where I want expand certain blackish shadows big time in certain images. What I'm seeing is superior micro contrast in the iso 50 file unless my vision is skewed!!. I often shoot the river by my house in early evening with long exposures and shadows in rocks are black. In these cases I want to have the ability to open these shadows to see at least some decent detail...thus one reason for iso 50. (I will say iso 50 in my A7R was much inferior to iso 100 in that camera but I'm not seeing this in my A7RII)..eleanor

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.