The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Hi Glen, many thanks.
I used Photomatix in this particular case on an adjustment layer (on top of the original) then dialed it down via the opacity and then flattened it off.
Photomatix can be a bit OTT otherwise if you don't do something to dilute it ;) ...Cheers Barry

GlenC

Hi Glen, many thanks.
I used Photomatix in this particular case on an adjustment layer (on top of the original) then dialed it down via the opacity and then flattened it off.
Photomatix can be a bit OTT otherwise if you don't do something to dilute it ;) ...Cheers Barry

So I'm guessing this just 1 exposure? (It's not an hdr that you tone mapped?)

I've never had good results with Photomatix (way too many adjustments) but I'll try it again and experiment with different opacities and blending it with the original, now that I see how good it can look. btw, I usually use Expose 3 (Unified Color) for tone mapping their hdr output files, the results don't look like hdr, which is good.

dandrewk

I've never had good results with Photomatix (way too many adjustments) but I'll try it again and experiment with different opacities and blending it with the original, now that I see how good it can look. btw, I usually use Expose 3 (Unified Color) for tone mapping their hdr output files, the results don't look like hdr, which is good.
Using the new Contrast Optimizer in Photomatix is a lot simpler to deal with, and produces more natural looking images.

GlenC

A7rii, 16-35mm, I used Contrast Optimizer but it's not outputting the file at the original resolution so I'm not able to blend it in PS with the original. I need more time looking for how to do this.

Attachments

Barry Haines

Hi Glen, apologies for not coming back straight away...As it was pretty late here in Blighty at the time of our little chat - I had just gone off to the “Land of Nod” :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

As you say there are better more natural looking HDR programs to choose from...I figured if you could tame Photomatix and it’s OTT look, then you could apply this method to any of the other HDR program :cool:

Using a tripod and taking multiple bracketed images will give you a more natural look obviously in a HDR program but I hate lugging around a tripod nowadays, so this is what I go with...

To answer your question...Yes, it's the same single exposure used twice - Original and a Tone mapped version/copy of the same image in this particular instance (I sometimes blend several different versions/layers together to get a particular look that I’m after).
You have the choice of either two methods in Photomatix Pro 4.2 - Tone Compressor and Details Enhancer...I mostly use the latter of those two for the very reason that I have more control with the sliders...Although it took me a little while to get my head around the interface as it’s not that obvious what’s exactly going on :confused:
I start off with noise reduction on and ticking the lighting adjustments/Lighting effects box and select “Medium”, then look at the best preset that's on offer with that particular image, then tweak the sliders around that...You will eventually end up with an OTT looking processed image...but as you are going to dilute it later with the original image I wouldn’t worry about it too much.
This is what my two images looked like before I blended them together....The Tone Mapped version will darken your highlights and open up the shadows, this is why I like playing around with it so much :D
Note...I removed the fisherman later on the downsized flattened version, as I found him distracting lurking in the shadows.

PS. Thank you Quentin :)

^^^BTW...Excellent images Dan and Glen^^^

Last edited:

GlenC

Barry,

Thank you for sharing all the details about your process. I just downloaded ver 5.1 so it is a little different from your version but I am looking forward to many hours of creative experimentation! I don't post much but I always keep an eye out for your work, many thanks.

Glen

jim251

Barry, the photo of the man in the boat ^^^ is just superb. Nice work...

OK, the hummingbirds are soon to depart for Mexico and points south and luckily have gotten the hang of this new, window suction-mount tube feeder before it's time to go. It's mounted to the window over the kitchen sink so we really get close-up viewing even when photos are not the topic. This a.m. I put on my red shirt ;) and stepped outside to wait silently a few feet away to try for a close-up. Didn't have to wait long and here is one of the best. Gotta say this is quite a bit easier that getting them when they're flying...

A7R2, FE 70-200m, F/4.0, APSC - really love this lens...

scho

A few backyard garden shots taken at the local cooperative extension office. A7RII with Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar.

Barry Haines

This young lady was making her way off of the beach at Newquay, when unexpectedly for her a rather large surf wave came in from out of the blue :cussing:

Knorp

yep, it's that time of the year again: autumn crocuses ... :)

scho

Ominous looking clouds and a stiff NW breeze keeping the sailors and cormorants at bay. A7RII with Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar.

scho

A little green heron on a very green pond. A7RII with Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar.

Status
Not open for further replies.