The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglouis

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Just a couple more from my early morning wanderings with the A7R and FE2/28

scho

A few at the lake with the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar on the A7RII.

Yellow warning signs around lake cautioning people not to drink or bathe in the lake after treatments with herbicides to kill invasive aquatic plants (Hydrilla).

The old hanging willow view spot.

Sumac and woodbine starting to show some fall color.

Last edited:

Jim DE

Shot today with a a7rII and a new FE 55mm and PP in my good old Aperture software ....... man it nice to be able to use this software again. :)

Plus I really like that 55mm.....

Barry Haines

Apologies :eek: Michiel and Vivek for not thanking you earlier.

My 90mm FE Macro turned up late this evening :)...Snapped a few shots off before the sun went down...What a wonderful lens!
It was all the great images shown here previously that talked me into getting this fantastic lens...Thank you one and all...Cheers Barry

Last edited:

frozenbb

Hi Barry, great work lately, as always.

I'm curious, have you formed any initial impressions on the A7RII that you feel like sharing? I know you're just beginning to put it through its paces, but I would love to know what you think about the new body so far. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 7792

My 90mm FE Macro turned up late this evening :)...Snapped a few shots off before the sun went down...What a wonderful lens!
It was all the great images shown here previously that talked me into getting this fantastic lens...Thank you one and all...Cheers Barry

Barry, the FE 90mm Macro is an irresistible lens. It will be difficult to pry it from your new a7RII. :D

The photo of the cat is the only cat photo I'd compliment. I like it. The photo, not the cat. :)

Joe

Barry Haines

Hi Barry, great work lately, as always.

I'm curious, have you formed any initial impressions on the A7RII that you feel like sharing? I know you're just beginning to put it through its paces, but I would love to know what you think about the new body so far. Cheers.
Hi Tom, to be honest it's still pretty early days, I'm probably not the best person to ask here as I have been sorting out family affairs just at the moment...not spent as much time as I would have liked with it :( It’s a great camera as others have said before so no point repeating all the plus points all over again.
Having used the A7R previously "ALOT"...my first initial impressions was of the extra weight and the newer style grip...It takes a little getting used to but I'm sure I will.
The grip like the A7II protrudes further outwards and cuts off the space between a fatter lens (Aka 35mm Distagon) and the body...I have rather largish fingers and this is probably my only real gripe at the moment...The menu I think would be pretty daunting to a beginner (which you are obviously not :D ) but I had to take time out to familiarize myself with all the changes and extra new features.
The output files are a delight...much cleaner than the A7R IMHO at base ISO...I think DXOMark said the A7R had a greater dynamic range but they look about the same to me. The AF is now much faster and so are the FPS but the buffer fills pretty quickly as I normally take a raw and a jpg anyway...I have noticed the body becoming warmish (but not hot) in my hand. I tested the IBIS out and although I can hold a camera in a vice like grip at slow shutter speeds, I found a higher percentage of IBIS images at half a second looking sharper than a non OSS lens on the A7R...O/A quick take it's a decent upgrade but It's still pretty pricey with one or two places knocking a bit off the price...I got mine from Panamoz (HK) which was cheaper than anywhere else in the UK £2230 by about £370 (+ it arrived in 3 days with a 3 year warranty....In stock at the moment)
http://panamoz.com/index.php/digita...-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only-pal.html
Hope that helps...Cheers Barry

frozenbb

Hi Tom, to be honest it's still pretty early days, I'm probably not the best person to ask here as I have been sorting out family affairs just at the moment...not spent as much time as I would have liked with it :( It’s a great camera as others have said before so no point repeating all the plus points all over again.
Having used the A7R previously "ALOT"...my first initial impressions was of the extra weight and the newer style grip...It takes a little getting used to but I'm sure I will.
The grip like the A7II protrudes further outwards and cuts off the space between a fatter lens (Aka 35mm Distagon) and the body...I have rather largish fingers and this is probably my only real gripe at the moment...The menu I think would be pretty daunting to a beginner (which you are obviously not :D ) but I had to take time out to familiarize myself with all the changes and extra new features.
The output files are a delight...much cleaner than the A7R IMHO at base ISO...I think DXOMark said the A7R had a greater dynamic range but they look about the same to me. The AF is now much faster and so are the FPS but the buffer fills pretty quickly as I normally take a raw and a jpg anyway...I have noticed the body becoming warmish (but not hot) in my hand. I tested the IBIS out and although I can hold a camera in a vice like grip at slow shutter speeds, I found a higher percentage of IBIS images at half a second looking sharper than a non OSS lens on the A7R...O/A quick take it's a decent upgrade but It's still pretty pricey with one or two places knocking a bit off the price...I got mine from Panamoz (HK) which was cheaper than anywhere else in the UK £2230 by about £370 (+ it arrived in 3 days with a 3 year warranty....In stock at the moment)
http://panamoz.com/index.php/digita...-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only-pal.html
Hope that helps...Cheers Barry

Barry, thanks for the early thoughts! I've taken a look at some of the files and they do indeed look gorgeous - a definite improvement from the A7R at low ISOs. Honestly the size and new grip are what's putting me off from placing an order right now (not to mention the price)! I've used the A7II a few times, and for whatever reason my hand didn't like the new grip styling. Having said that, I do like the new shutter release and placement. There are always trade-offs, I suppose, and I'm sure I would adapt in time. I imagine IBIS grows addicting.

I keep hoping they stick one of these beastly FF sensors in an a6000 or NEX-7 form factor, without IBIS but with a silent shutter. However, given the market they're trying to cater to, it probably won't happen!

biglouis

Honestly the size and new grip are what's putting me off from placing an order right now (not to mention the price)! I've used the A7II a few times, and for whatever reason my hand didn't like the new grip styling.
Thank goodness, I thought it was only me. I went and handled an A7II again yesterday and came away with the same feeling again. This has transformed a small form factor camera into something much bigger. I actually find I have to stretch my hand in exactly the way I find for larger DSLR bodies, which really puts me off. I guess I'll be staying with the A7R and A7S for the time being.

I'll give it another go next time I am passing a shop that actually lets you handle the gear but this experience has meant I am in no hurry to trade up.

LouisB

eleanorbrown

Couple more with A7RII and Zeiss lenses. One of boulders with Batis 25mm and Tree with some abstract blurring with Otus 55. Finally after 5 months on order, my Batis 85mm will be delivered on Monday. Am enjoying seeing with others are getting with this camera also and thanks for posting! Eleanor

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

V

Vivek

Tom, Louis: Add one more. If I wanted large camera gear, I would rather choose a Canon or a Nikon and need not worry about lossy files as well. :LOL:

Realistically, I expect a compact A6000 camera that will hopefully deliver a BSI sensor with a high quality output. Until then, I will pass the current A7 series cams altogether (along with the humongous lenses).

Barry, Thanks for the info on the price. :)

Barry Haines

Barry, thanks for the early thoughts! I've taken a look at some of the files and they do indeed look gorgeous - a definite improvement from the A7R at low ISOs. Honestly the size and new grip are what's putting me off from placing an order right now (not to mention the price)! I've used the A7II a few times, and for whatever reason my hand didn't like the new grip styling. Having said that, I do like the new shutter release and placement. There are always trade-offs, I suppose, and I'm sure I would adapt in time. I imagine IBIS grows addicting.

I keep hoping they stick one of these beastly FF sensors in an a6000 or NEX-7 form factor, without IBIS but with a silent shutter. However, given the market they're trying to cater to, it probably won't happen!
OT.
Hi Tom, I hear what you are saying and and fully agree, I never really liked the weight/size jump difference from APS-C (Nex) to FF A7 series cameras or the styling for that matter of the A7 series...I still prefer a flush EVF/viewfinder on the left hand side of the camera and not the central viewfinder hump/lump that we have currently (Note to Sony...Cameras fit and slide in and out of camera bags much easier without the hump/lump :D ), likewise I was also hoping that Sony would do just what you have described earlier and that's fit a FF sensor in a small Nex type body but I just can't see that happening now!...I think the balance of the current heavier FE lens range would just not work so well on the smaller lighter Nex style bodies...The lenses would just end up being to front heavy :(
The larger grip I feel is more reassuring that you won't drop the camera accidentally but it's shape just doesn't suit my hand as well as I was hoping it would :( Hopefuly I will become accustomed to it ;)

Re: IBIS. I think we will just end taking that extra 2 stops of latitude for granted as we do so much modern technology :D

frozenbb

OT.
Hi Tom, I hear what you are saying and and fully agree, I never really liked the weight/size jump difference from APS-C (Nex) to FF A7 series cameras or the styling for that matter of the A7 series...I still prefer a flush EVF/viewfinder on the left hand side of the camera and not the central viewfinder hump/lump that we have currently (Note to Sony...Cameras fit and slide in and out of camera bags much easier without the hump/lump :D ), likewise I was also hoping that Sony would do just what you have described earlier and that's fit a FF sensor in a small Nex type body but I just can't see that happening now!...I think the balance of the current heavier FE lens range would just not work so well on the smaller lighter Nex style bodies...The lenses would just end up being to front heavy :(
The larger grip I feel is more reassuring that you won't drop the camera accidentally but it's shape just doesn't suit my hand as well as I was hoping it would :( Hopefuly I will become accustomed to it ;)

Re: IBIS. I think we will just end taking that extra 2 stops of latitude for granted as we do so much modern technology :D
The viewfinder on the left design worked much better for me as well, though I suppose left eye dominant sorts wouldn't find it as comfortable. Personally, I found the nex series easier to hold steady than the center-viewfinder a7 type.

You and Vivek are right about the current crop of e-mount lenses being mostly ill-suited to a compact ff body. But Sony/Zeiss are more than capable of building smallish primes of top quality. I would settle for a 28/2.8, 45/2.8, 85/2.8 combination for my portable kit! Sony's 28/2 and 35/2.8 are quite good (assuming you can find decent samples), and proof that their engineers are capable of excellent, compact designs. Do I see this happening? Nope. But one can hope, right? :D

Knorp

C'mon guys, let's stop complaining and live up to this thread's title ... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.