The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

C'mon guys, let's stop complaining and live up to this thread's title ... :rolleyes:
Bart...you spoilsport :p
I never complain :cool:
I was having FUN moaning with Tom :LOL:

Edit...Thank you Annna (below)...Another shot with the 90mm FE macro to keep us back on track :D

I love the way the Sony 90mm FE macro can isolate and resolve very fine detail when shot WO - Best seen in the “Enlargement” (Handheld).

Last edited:

Annna T

C'mon guys, let's stop complaining and live up to this thread's title ... :rolleyes:
But this discussion is interesting ! I'm standing with Louis, Barry, Tom and Vivek. I never had a Sony APSC mirrorless, but the A7r shape, size and weight is perfect for my hands, the grip just what it should be. I too hold the A7r2 in a brick and mortar shop and found that the weight difference was very perceptible, that the grip was putting me back in DSLR territory (have a Canon 6d weighting 770 gr. only).

Well I remember when the first A7 series were issued and so many complained that the bodies were too small. Once I dared state that I wouldn't like to return to bigger bodies and would like to keep this mirrorless advantage, I was told that then I wasn't using the right camera and that I should return to bodies with smaller sensors. I found that a little condescending.

I too would like to get an A7rbis with the BSI sensor and silent shutter or EFC.
IBIS of course a plus, but could live without it in order to keep the smaller size. No need of 4k video : heat dissipation seems to be one of the reasons justifying the bigger bodies.

pegelli

Re: Fun With Sony _____

No complaining about large grips and humps here :LOL:

Shanghai, shopping center on Nanjing Road

NEX6 + E16-50PZ

Knorp

But this discussion is interesting ! I'm standing with Louis, Barry, Tom and Vivek. I never had a Sony APSC mirrorless, but the A7r shape, size and weight is perfect for my hands, the grip just what it should be. I too hold the A7r2 in a brick and mortar shop and found that the weight difference was very perceptible, that the grip was putting me back in DSLR territory (have a Canon 6d weighting 770 gr. only).

Well I remember when the first A7 series were issued and so many complained that the bodies were too small. Once I dared state that I wouldn't like to return to bigger bodies and would like to keep this mirrorless advantage, I was told that then I wasn't using the right camera and that I should return to bodies with smaller sensors. I found that a little condescending.

I too would like to get an A7rbis with the BSI sensor and silent shutter or EFC.
IBIS of course a plus, but could live without it in order to keep the smaller size. No need of 4k video : heat dissipation seems to be one of the reasons justifying the bigger bodies.
Oh dear ... well okay then, Annna. I've got to admit that the A7R2 with its grip is basically a little too large for my small(ish) hands.
It's indeed quite a lump to hold. The EM1 with its grip fits me better and is more comfortable.

So there you have it, all happy now ... :grin:

V

Vivek

No need of 4k video : heat dissipation seems to be one of the reasons justifying the bigger bodies.
It (increase in size) has not done any wonders related to heat dissipation. Those who tried 4K complain of shut downs. It is half baked at best.

Panasonic's GH series do a far better job. :grin:

k-hawinkler

Well, I don't mind being the odd man out!

The A7r2 fits my hands nearly perfectly and its UI and haptic feel are exemplary.

Also, here in the cool mountains of Northern New Mexico I have not had yet overheating issues when using 4K video of the A7r2 for a few minutes long clips. I have had the camera operating that way in bright sunshine. No problems so far, but based on the experience of others I wouldn't be surprised if the camera eventually would shut down due to overheating as my NEX-5N and NEX-7 regularly did when shooting video for more than a few minutes. If that should happen with my A7r2 then I simply will get an external recording device.

So, yes, I find the A7r2 4K video recording feature very useful indeed.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I figured that I can reduce ~40g when i remove the tilt LCD from the NEX-5N and just use the external EVF. :grin:

ohnri

It (increase in size) has not done any wonders related to heat dissipation. Those who tried 4K complain of shut downs. It is half baked at best.

Panasonic's GH series do a far better job. :grin:
Half baked. LOL

Other than heat dissipation, is there any video feature you feel the GH series does a better job of?

-Bill

dwood

^^^^^^^^^^

Barry, that 90 macro looks like one special lens. Your first pictures with this lens on your new A7RII are great! Quentin has also posted a number of superb images with this lens. I'd almost buy the A7RII just to use this lens! Personal request: if you get a chance at some point, I'd love to see some landscape/seascape shots with the 90. Hope you're doing well, my friend.

Barry Haines

^^^^^^^^^^

Barry, that 90 macro looks like one special lens. Your first pictures with this lens on your new A7RII are great! Quentin has also posted a number of superb images with this lens. I'd almost buy the A7RII just to use this lens! Personal request: if you get a chance at some point, I'd love to see some landscape/seascape shots with the 90. Hope you're doing well, my friend.
Thank you Doug...This 90mm FE macro lens is incredible IMHO, I have never seen a lens quite as sharp as this WO which still gave you such a beautiful OoF rendering albeit it's only f/2.8...simply amazing in my books.
I am VERY, VERY happy with it's close-up performance and will carry out some mid-field and infinity land/seascape shots (stopped down) for you as soon as I get a chance :thumbup: You must come back over to Sony my friend :grin:
I think the 90mm FE partnered up with the 55mm Sonnar and 35mm Distagon make a great trio of lenses :grin:
PS. Yes it was Quentin and a number of other good folks here that sold this lens to me with their great images...Many thanks everybody :clap: :clap: :clap: ...Cheers Barry

dwood

Thank you Doug...This 90mm FE macro lens is incredible IMHO, I have never seen a lens quite as sharp as this WO which still gave you such a beautiful OoF rendering albeit it's only f/2.8...simply amazing in my books.
I am VERY, VERY happy with it's close-up performance and will carry out some mid-field and infinity land/seascape shots (stopped down) for you as soon as I get a chance :thumbup: You must come back over to Sony my friend :grin:
I think the 90mm FE partnered up with the 55mm Sonnar and 35mm Distagon make a great trio of lenses :grin:
PS. Yes it was Quentin and a number of other good folks here that sold this lens to me with their great images...Many thanks everybody :clap: :clap: :clap: ...Cheers Barry
I totally agree with your trio of lenses. The 55 was always my favorite on the A7R, and everything I've seen from you and others confirms how great both the 35 and 90 are. And maybe you'd loan me your WATE for the wide end. :D Decisions, decisions. Guess I better go water the money tree in the back yard. :ROTFL:

jim251

^^^^^^^^

Barry, words fail. Rarely do I see a photograph that I just want to keep looking at but this is definitely one...

Really nice work.

scho

Making hay up in the hills. Sony A7RII + 55mm F/1.8 FE Sonnar.

Barry Haines

^^^^^^^^

Barry, words fail. Rarely do I see a photograph that I just want to keep looking at but this is definitely one...

Really nice work.
Thank you Jim for your very kind words, most appreciated...Cheers Barry

dandrewk

Barry (and others with the FE90): How do you like the Bokeh? Bokeh (IMHO) is a critical feature for any macro or portrait lens.

I've read a few off-the-cuff criticisms about the FE90 bokeh, and I just don't get that. Every image I've seen with that lens, the bokeh is superb! I realize that bokeh can be very subjective, but I love the soft, dreamy like rendition of the FE90. I had that lens for a few days:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50...m-120.html?highlight=marin+gardens#post656305

Maybe it is just me, but I love the bokeh in these shots.

I ended up returning it due to its size, but now I'm reconsidering. Especially since I may never receive the Batis 85 :D.

Jim DE

Shot today in Yorklyn, Delaware with a a7rII and FE 55mm f1.8

I know what your thinking but honestly the horizon is not off that smoke stack is actually leaning and the factory is folding into it.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Barry (and others with the FE90): How do you like the Bokeh? Bokeh (IMHO) is a critical feature for any macro or portrait lens.

I've read a few off-the-cuff criticisms about the FE90 bokeh, and I just don't get that. Every image I've seen with that lens, the bokeh is superb! I realize that bokeh can be very subjective, but I love the soft, dreamy like rendition of the FE90. I had that lens for a few days:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50...m-120.html?highlight=marin+gardens#post656305

Maybe it is just me, but I love the bokeh in these shots.

I ended up returning it due to its size, but now I'm reconsidering. Especially since I may never receive the Batis 85 :D.
David, boke is subjective as you say but we both like the same rendering it seems (soft and dreamy)...The 35/1.4, 55/1.8 and 90/2.8 all share the same character of OoF rendering that I personally prefer...The Batis 85/1.8 looks to be also an excellent choice as well...The 90mm lens is heavier, larger and slower than the 85mm Batis but I just can't see the Batis being any sharper than the 90mm + it also has very low distortion, hardly and CA and low vignetting WO...The decision between either of those two lenses is going to be a hard one but in the end you can't really go wrong with either :confused:

dandrewk

David, boke is subjective as you say but we both like the same rendering it seems (soft and dreamy)...The 35/1.4, 55/1.8 and 90/2.8 all share the same character of OoF rendering that I personally prefer...The Batis 85/1.8 looks to be also an excellent choice as well...The 90mm lens is heavier, larger and slower than the 85mm Batis but I just can't see the Batis being any sharper than the 90mm + it also has very low distortion, hardly and CA and low vignetting WO...The decision between either of those two lenses is going to be a hard one but in the end you can't really go wrong with either :confused:
Thanks Barry.

Upon further review:

Batis 85 - 17 oz. 3.62"
FE 90 - 21 oz. 5.14"

That difference is less than I had imagined. It puts the FE 90 halfway between the FE 24-70 & FE 70-200, size wise.

I'd much prefer a faster lens, but for portraiture I tend to stop down one or two stops to assure all features are in focus - especially true for big noses. :D

The cost difference is minimal in the USA. So, for me it's basically a tradeoff of the macro possibilities vs. faster aperture.

The fact that the FE 90 is readily available vs. the Batis existing somewhere the the Ozone layer makes the Sony a bit more seductive. I am an impatient person, maybe even more so than Guy. ;)

You are right, tough choice. There are several lengthy threads on DPR and FM covering the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.