The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Thanks Barry!! I was wondering how to do that. just posted two more images before I saw your post!! Thanks again, eleanor
PS...just went and did an edit and eliminated the IMG stuff.

P.S. Eleanor, please don't take this as a criticism in any way as I'm only trying to be helpful :)...but you could try leaving out the
either side of your image link...Nice image BTW...Cheers Barry[/QUOTE]

nsng

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Champagne Lake, Rotorua, North Island, NZ. A850 w/16-35mm ZA

This photo made it to the top 10 finalists in the Travel Category in the Sony World Photography Organization Contest.

Slingers

Even though its a sterile lens i still like to use the 55/1.8

Barry, you are making me want the 90 macro but at least its stopped you posting with the 35/1.4 that you make me want as well. With another little one on the way I can't justify buying a new lens to my wife.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Even though its a sterile lens i still like to use the 55/1.8

Barry, you are making me want the 90 macro but at least its stopped you posting with the 35/1.4 that you make me want as well. With another little one on the way I can't justify buying a new lens to my wife.
Thank you Craig...The 55mm is a fantastic lens it falls between the 35mm and 90mm...It allows you to crop to make an excellent telephoto + As Mr Gibson has shown us earlier an excellent stitched image making an equivalent of the 27mm focal length at F0.9!...It's a great all rounder for recording your family and the oncoming arrival of your new baby ;)
I love the way you record your children growing up and share them with us all :thumbs: ...Many thanks
Cheers Barry

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

From a gig I just shot of Wind Turbines in Iowa. Just got home last night and i knew this one was special when I shot it.

About 5 am before sunrise

ISO 250 30 second exposure at f4 with my 35mm 1.4 ZE lens. Folks i could not shoot this with anything but a EVF. I could see nothing in the finder. Its that dark . Turn effects off get full gain on the EVF and piece of cake to zoom, focus and shoot. I also set the timer for 10 seconds so with one Nissin flash i would walk up and pop 1 or 2 times. Here it was twice as i was trying to show the fan blades, the client makes the blades so I had to get them in the shot. I would love to go back with 3 big portables and shoot all three turbines at once. But i do like this. high ISO NR off. Oh yea it was cold as hell too. I just need to fix the perspective a touch more and straighten the back turbines. BTW these things are huge

jlm

Workshop Member

classic mancuso; reminds me somehow of those old cockpit shots that were so amazing

those things are huge; the generator is bigger than a 50' semi tractor trailer and the propellers are what, 75' long?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Agree. Absolutely fabulous! :thumbs:

frozenbb

First, I know that some may scoff at this post as not suitable for this forum, or not photography, or whatever. They may be right! But what I say in my defense is that I was certainly having fun with my A7R!

This summer I had the good fortune to spend a couple of months under fairly dark skies (Bortle class 2, for those who care). About 6 weeks before departure, I decided this might be the moment to attempt a bit of serious (amateur) astrophotography. At that point, I knew nothing about astronomy or astrophotography, nor had I ever looked through a telescope. After wading through thousands of forum posts and astronomy sites, I finally started assembling a telescope, mount, and astrophotography kit.

Below is my first attempt at M101 – the pinwheel galaxy – taken from a blue zone (I didn’t feel like driving to the really dark site that night). Keep in mind this was the third time I actually looked through and used my telescope (or any telescope), and my second attempt at deep sky imaging. Same goes for using an equatorial tracking mount. I started from scratch in every respect, and had no help in the field. My setup includes: a Celestron EdgeHD 8" with reducer, Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G tracking mount, TPI spreader, Starlight feathertouch micro focuser, and Sony A7R and A6000 for prime-focus AP. This gear (especially the scope) is unforgiving for an imaging beginner, but I really wanted to dabble in planetary at some point, so had to start somewhere. Hopefully I'll be able to add a nice refractor (500-900mm fl) in the next year or two, though they can get quite expensive!

For the composite shown here, I used about 80, 30-second unguided (but still tracked) subexposures (subs in astrophotography speak) from an unmodded A7R, half at ISO 1600 and half at ISO 2000. The .7x reducer was also used. Processing was done in DeepSkyStacker/Photoshop, as the premier astrophotography processing application, PixInsight, makes my head hurt.

Obviously, more frames (subs), better processing, and more experience will help me in the future. But I'm still reasonably pleased with this result, considering how new I am to the hobby and all that it entails.

It may sound like a special form of punishment to attempt this endeavor, but as I said, I found it thrilling and fun. Cheers.

eleanorbrown

Doing some experimenting with my new Batis 85 lens on A7RII. Interestingly, I did some controlled tests on sharpness and found, (with my lens anyway), that wide open in the central part of the image, test image is as sharp as at optimum apertures. A pleasant surprise...... Eleanor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Doing some experimenting with my new Batis 85 lens on A7RII. Interestingly, I did some controlled tests on sharpness and found, (with my lens anyway), that wide open in the central part of the image, test image is as sharp as at optimum apertures. A pleasant surprise...... Eleanor

I mentioned that in my review on the Batis 85 and on my trip proved to be the most valuable lens in my bag. Killer centrally

Lucille

Lucille, the tonalities on this car are unbelievably fabulous!!! Love this one! Eleanor

Thank you. When the sun starts setting, we got nice color in the high desert of Albuquerque NM. This shot a few hrs earlier wouldn't have had these crazy tones.

Then I also believe the cheapo Sony 28mm f/2 prime has fantastic character. I think this lens is superior to my more expensive Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. In fact I am looking to sell the Zeiss 35mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.