The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-hawinkler

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Enjoying my two Batis lenses. The house on Main Street Breckenridge shot with the 25 and the Aspens shot with 85 at dusk last evening during my walk with my dog on the trail by my house in Colorado. By the way digilloyd just gave the Sony A7RII a horrible review for "field use". I am totally enjoying my A7RII. Nothing is perfect but it is working so well for me...perfect weight, grip, customized buttons...etc etc. Will I be happy with the uncompressed RAW option....you bet, but otherwise I'm totally enjoying the ease of use and quality this camera offers. Eleanor

Thank you. I love your images!
Well said Eleanor. The A7r2 is such an enjoyable tool to use, I couldn't agree more with your assessment. :D
BTW, who is this digilloyd? :shocked: :ROTFL: :bugeyes:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Dogs on Safari ...

Field use seems just fine to me, even in deepest Africa.

A7RII Tamron 150-600 @ 240mm, ISO 2000 1/500 f/13

pegelli

Dogs on Safari ...

Field use seems just fine to me, even in deepest Africa.

A7RII Tamron 150-600 @ 240mm, ISO 2000 1/500 f/13
The facial expressions of all four characters in that shot are priceless. :thumbup:

Ron Pfister

Here some early morning light from a slightly overcast day. A very chilly morning it was...

Ron Pfister

Here some early morning light from a slightly overcast day. A very chilly morning it was...
It just struck me that this image illustrates one of the reasons for the dramatic visual impact of Arctic landscapes very well: the clear, very dry air, resulting in incredibly good visibility. The mountains in the distance are over 20 nautical miles from where I stood to capture this image, yet they appeared within my grasp. In many situations, the spectacular visibility combined with the low solar elevation at these latitudes resulted in an almost dream-like experience, one of unusual clarity and presence. A magical place!

k-hawinkler

It just struck me that this image illustrates one of the reasons for the dramatic visual impact of Arctic landscapes very well: the clear, very dry air, resulting in incredibly good visibility. The mountains in the distance are over 20 nautical miles from where I stood to capture this image, yet they appeared within my grasp. In many situations, the spectacular visibility combined with the low solar elevation at these latitudes resulted in an almost dream-like experience, one of unusual clarity and presence. A magical place!
Thanks Ron. Terrific images.
You should visit New Mexico, typically very dry air, great long distance visibility.
On a clear day I can easily see mountain ranges about 100 km away. :)

Ron Pfister

Thanks Ron. Terrific images.
You should visit New Mexico, typically very dry air, great long distance visibility.
On a clear day I can easily see mountain ranges about 100 km away. :)
Many thanks, Karl-Heinz. Sounds spectacular! Greenland is very similar with this respect - the farthest I can remember seeing clearly is 60 nautical miles. At those distances, you need something large enough to make out, of which there is plenty along the coast of East Greenland: mountains 2,000m tall rising out of fjords up to 1,500m deep.

Ron Pfister

Thanks Ron. Any images of that? TIA.
Here an iPhone snap. The distance to the point where the mountains on the far shore intersect with the headland on the right is about 110km. Not a particularly clear day, either.

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

I spelled it wrong...diglloyd runs a well known blog I have subscribed to for years that has excellent exacting reviews on cameras and lenses. Lloyd Chambers. However when I read his awful review on the A7r2 for field use I completely disagreed with everything he said. I like Nikon too (actually have the D810) but have put that aside and have been only using the A7r2 I like it so much. Eleanor

Thank you. I love your images!
Well said Eleanor. The A7r2 is such an enjoyable tool to use, I couldn't agree more with your assessment. :D
BTW, who is this digilloyd? :shocked: :ROTFL: :bugeyes:

k-hawinkler

I spelled it wrong...diglloyd runs a well known blog I have subscribed to for years that has excellent exacting reviews on cameras and lenses. Lloyd Chambers. However when I read his awful review on the A7r2 for field use I completely disagreed with everything he said. I like Nikon too (actually have the D810) but have put that aside and have been only using the A7r2 I like it so much. Eleanor

Many thanks Eleanor. It seems to me Mr. Chambers likes to shoot from the hip without engaging in due diligence first.

I shoot my D800E next to my A7r/2 and I clearly prefer the latter two cameras. Once Sony comes out with an FE lens of 80-400 or 200-500 mm focal length with great AF I will use my Nikon even less.

Ron Pfister

Here a monochrome image of an enormous iceberg. For scale: the arch was easily 50m in diameter, the mountains in the background are nearly 2,000m tall.

Edit: new version with altered processing and cropping

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Here a monochrome image of an enormous iceberg. For scale: the arch was easily 50m in diameter, the mountains in the background are nearly 2,000m tall.

Edit: new version with altered processing

Thanks Ron. WOW! That's quite a sight! Stunning image!

V

Vivek

So, Sony users join Leica users? :LOL:

For some reason I tend to call him Digilloyd too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.