The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Pfister

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Ron, some fantastic images here my friend, always love those iceberg pictures of yours - They just keep on getting better each year :D
It seems strange (to me) to see Ezra so far away off the coast of Norway as I'm used to seeing her down at Penryn!
Reconfirming our meet up at Gloucester Docks when you fly back to the UK in November as our PM's.
Just let us know the dates as soon as you can please, then I can book a couple of nights stay up there :)
Barry, many thanks for the kind words! The image was actually taken in Rypefjord in East Greenland, not the one in Norway. There seems to be quite a bit of name recycling going on in higher latitudes, even within Greenland itself. Rypefjord means the fjord of ptarmigans, so I guess that's fair enough ;). Looking forward to catching up with you in Gloucester! No news yet regarding timing, but will keep you posted...

Ron Pfister

Here an image that is of a more documentary nature. The blue band in this iceberg is a meltwater intrusion. These come about when a berg cracks under tension, but doesn't break apart. In the summer, the surface of an iceberg is continually melting while the core remains well below freezing. As a result, meltwater trickles into any crack that forms and subsequently freezes. The freezing meltwater expands, widens the crack, more meltwater enters and the process repeats itself (a process known as hydrofracture), often resulting in intrusions of considerable width. When an intrusion spans the full depth of a berg, it guides light from one side across to the other, resulting in a spectacular appearance resembling blue glass. This intrusion was probably the widest I had ever seen, roughly 1m in width.

akclimber

More auroras with the A7R2 and Samy/Rok 24 f/1.4. These were made Tuesday night/Wednesday morning just as both the clouds and latest aurora storm were moving in. I was lucky to get out that night. We missed the rest of the aurora show :-(

Cheers!

_dsc3064 web by Joe, on Flickr

_DSC3228 web by Joe, on Flickr

_dsc2945 web by Joe, on Flickr

_dsc2987 web by Joe, on Flickr

_DSC3232 web by Joe, on Flickr

_DSC3099 web by Joe, on Flickr

Steve Fines

A7r with the 35/2.8 hanging off the bottom of a flying cusinart (drone) at about 40m over a river in central Minnesota.

Fines_20151009_0082-Pano-Edit.jpg

Ron Pfister

More auroras with the A7R2 and Samy/Rok 24 f/1.4. These were made Tuesday night/Wednesday morning just as both the clouds and latest aurora storm were moving in. I was lucky to get out that night. We missed the rest of the aurora show :-(

Cheers!
Joe, these images are absolutely fantastic! I particularly like the ones without any terrestrial reference. They are wonderfully abstract and ethereal. Fabulous work! Want to see more!! :)

Barry Haines

Thanks Ron, love the sapphire blue ice in that image...absolutely beautiful! :thumbup:
+
Really excellent images Joe, what a spectacular lightshow you had yourself! :thumbup:

Taken this afternoon in Moushole’s quaint old fishing harbour

f64

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Cityscapes> I listen to your heart, city

Renzo Piano's skyscraper (nothing to write home about) looms like the creature from the outer space over the graceful art nouveau district in Turin, Italy.
The original photo was taken with a robot head and is 134 Mpix

Ascolto il tuo cuore, città is the title of a book by Alberto Savinio, Giorgio De Chirico's brother

Jim DE

Barry, I have never been to the British Isles and honestly never really had a interest to except when I used to play golf and wanted to play St Andrews. Your images certainly have changed the way I perceived what it would be like over there and have stirred much more interest in me about maybe visiting your islands.

Micheal has done the same thing for me and his area of Europe which was also a continent I had no interest before in visiting. My target areas for vacations and travel for the past 60+ years has nearly always been the Carribean.

These image threads like this one showcase equipment but for me also give me a glimpse into other regions on the world. I already had Iceland on my bucket list and Ron's recent images just brought this area higher up on my priorities.

Thanks to all for not only showcasing results from gear but also sharing your view of your surroundings....there are some really gorgeous lands and seas surrounding this planet I need to see in my viewfinders.

Ron Pfister

Here the first of a series of images captured with the RX100M3 in Greenland this summer. I love this camera. The results often rival those of much larger camera-lens combos, yet it is so small that I never think twice whether to bring it with me or not.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

These image threads like this one showcase equipment but for me also give me a glimpse into other regions on the world. I already had Iceland on my bucket list and Ron's recent images just brought this area higher up on my priorities.

Thanks to all for not only showcasing results from gear but also sharing your view of your surroundings....there are some really gorgeous lands and seas surrounding this planet I need to see in my viewfinders.
Jim, I couldn't agree more - it's fantastic to be able to see different parts of the world through the eyes and viewfinders of people with similar interests. My fascination with higher latitudes is fairly recent, and I can't recommend visiting these climes warmly enough. The low solar elevation combined with un-touched nature make for endless photographic opportunities. Iceland has seen a tremendous boom in tourism over the past few years, but it still is quite easy to escape the masses. Renting a 4x4 and travelling off the beaten track is probably your best bet...

jlm

Workshop Member

+1 for Cornwall, small hill towns in Italy and France, getting lost in the countryside

Barry Haines

Barry, I have never been to the British Isles and honestly never really had a interest to except when I used to play golf and wanted to play St Andrews. Your images certainly have changed the way I perceived what it would be like over there and have stirred much more interest in me about maybe visiting your islands.

Micheal has done the same thing for me and his area of Europe which was also a continent I had no interest before in visiting. My target areas for vacations and travel for the past 60+ years has nearly always been the Carribean.

Hi Jim, many thanks...Well I'm English (London born) so whatever I say now will be slightly biased ;)
I love the UK and especially Cornwall as you know, as this is where me and my good wife Alison have decided upon for retirement. We would otherwise probably had gone to the Dordogne (France) which is also another beautiful area although somewhat more relaxed than here, if we had not chosen to look after my elderly parents both now with dementia...We don't want them in a care home and that's not what they want either!...Moving on, lot's of great places to visit obviously around Cornwall (and nearby Devon) should you decide to come out this way or just travel around the British Isles. I try to cherry pick the best places to photograph here in Cornwall or my neighbouring county Devon, I am very well aware that I am giving out a rose tinted look of the area! ...as like anywhere it's not perfect either!...Wind Turbines seem to be appearing daily on the hillsides, solar panels in every available field and as Steve (furtle) said earlier "I'm acutely aware there are many Cornish areas less fortunate".
Without stating the obvious, like any place you visit you need to do your research of the area to get the best out of your visit...This would certainly be true of Cornwall as it not only offers a beautiful coast, it has moody moors, old forests and an even more ancient history as old as some of the Egyptian pyramids themselves (Just not quite as grand though :))
Cheers Barry

Ron Pfister

The 24-70mm equiv. lens of the RX100M3 is an absolute gem, handling even very challenging situations with ease. Excellent coatings, no doubt...

Status
Not open for further replies.