The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

scho

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 Series Cameras( all of them)

Mourning dove waiting for mate. A7RII + Tamron 150-600 @ 600mm ISO 5000 f/6.3.

The Batis 85mm finally came today!

These are from my first walk around the block with it. So far, so good.

scho

Chickadee. Sony A7RII + Tamron 150-600 @ 420mm

Barry Haines

'bursting seed pods' - A7RII / Sony FE 90 Macro
^^^ :grin: ^^^
Doug...Nice one, I will take the Drop box link down now my friend as you have probably carried out a few tests of your own by now ;)
The 90mm FE and A7RII is magic combo, for either near or far off subjects :)
______________________________________________________________________________________

This is Gweek a lovely little channel along from the Helford River (About 50 miles S.W. of Lerryn), quite a lot of boat building is carried out down here (just out of sight on the RH side is a boat yard).
In fact, I think Ron told me that his beautiful Pilot Cutter was built here if I remember correctly.
Two versions...Tone mapped colour and a timeless Platinum toned image...Taken this afternoon

dwood

^^^ :grin: ^^^
Doug...Nice one, I will take the Drop box link down now my friend as you have probably carried out a few tests of your own by now ;)
The 90mm FE and A7RII is magic combo, for either near or far off subjects :)
______________________________________________________________________________________
Yes, thanks again for those FE 90 files, Barry. I rented the A7RII, FE 90 and FE 35/1.4 to give it all a go. The goodies just arrived today and I'll be giving it all a workout over the next few days. The 90 is crazy good. Just outstanding! Looking forward to playing with the 35 too. You know this is all your fault, right? :ROTFL:

Barry Haines

Yes, thanks again for those FE 90 files, Barry. I rented the A7RII, FE 90 and FE 35/1.4 to give it all a go. The goodies just arrived today and I'll be giving it all a workout over the next few days. The 90 is crazy good. Just outstanding! Looking forward to playing with the 35 too. You know this is all your fault, right? :ROTFL:
That's right blame me :ROTFL: ...But then I do blame half a dozen to a dozen other photographers here that first showed their 90mm FE images off within this thread, that's how I also got hooked :grin:

The 90mm is rather good isn't it :) + The 35mm isn't half bad either :grin:

You will soon be back here full time :clap:

dwood

That's right blame me :ROTFL: ...But then I do blame half a dozen to a dozen other photographers here that first showed their 90mm FE images off within this thread, that's how I also got hooked :grin:

The 90mm is rather good isn't it :) + The 35mm isn't half bad either :grin:

You will soon be back here full time :clap:
Yeah, I guess there's a long line of people to blame. :ROTFL:

We'll see how things go. If nothing else, it will be fun to play with the camera and these lenses. I'll send you the bill if it all goes too well. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Ron Pfister

This is Gweek a lovely little channel along from the Helford River (About 50 miles S.W. of Lerryn), quite a lot of boat building is carried out down here (just out of sight on the RH side is a boat yard).
In fact, I think Ron told me that his beautiful Pilot Cutter was built here if I remember correctly.
Two versions...Tone mapped colour and a timeless Platinum toned image...Taken this afternoon
Ah, really lovely images, Barry! Yes, indeed - the boat yard is Ezra's birthplace... Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Ron Pfister

I know this is OT, but I'm struggling with sRGB exports from ProPhoto RGB originals in LR. Sometimes the exports look so different, it doesn't even seem like the same edit of a given image. How do you all go about this? I haven't tried soft proofing in sRGB in earnest, but that seems like it might be a good way to go. Any thoughts would be most welcome...

dmward

I know this is OT, but I'm struggling with sRGB exports from ProPhoto RGB originals in LR. Sometimes the exports look so different, it doesn't even seem like the same edit of a given image. How do you all go about this? I haven't tried soft proofing in sRGB in earnest, but that seems like it might be a good way to go. Any thoughts would be most welcome...
If that's the case, my first suspicion is that you have a calibration problem with your monitor.

Even though LR is processing the image parametrically the image shown on the screen is in the sRGB color space, unless your monitor supports aRGB.

Also, make sure Lightroom is setup to export to a known sRGB space. If its exporting to your monitor sRGB that could be a problem.

I calibrate my monitors and have no problems with either relative or perceptual exports to sRGB for the web or printing at a lab.

Ron Pfister

Many thanks for your reply, David. I should have mentioned that the displays I use are hardware calibrated wide-gamut displays by Quato, supporting a wider gamut than Adobe RGB. That's the crux, really - the native gamut is so much wider than sRGB that it makes the sRGB exports look positively flat in many cases...

dmward

Many thanks for your reply, David. I should have mentioned that the displays I use are hardware calibrated wide-gamut displays by Quato, supporting a wider gamut than Adobe RGB. That's the crux, really - the native gamut is so much wider than sRGB that it makes the sRGB exports look positively flat in many cases...
Not having used a wide gamut display I can see where that would be a problem since Lightroom is using the monitor profile for its screen images.

How do the wide gamut displays deal with normal web sRGB images?

Ron Pfister

Not having used a wide gamut display I can see where that would be a problem since Lightroom is using the monitor profile for its screen images.

How do the wide gamut displays deal with normal web sRGB images?
Well, they just render sRGB faithfully, since that is well within their gamut. The issue is that when you're editing in LR (or any other editor, for that matter) on such a display, you make use of the gamut of the colour space the display is calibrated and profiled to (for argument's sake, let's say this is Adobe RGB). This is great because you get to make use of that gamut when editing, eeking out whatever your RAW file allows you to. However, while you're editing, you have no means of telling what the end result will look like once exported to sRGB. Nor would you really want to see that because you want to make use of that wide-gamut colour space.

One could 'dumb down' the display to sRGB and edit in that colour space, but that defeats the purpose of a wide-gamut display, IMO. I think the answer is soft proofing in sRGB after completing the primary edit by creating a proof copy and visually matching that to the primary, wide-gamut edit as best as possible.

I will give that a go and will let you know what I find. Any further suggestions would be most appreciated, but please PM me instead of posting here. I don't want to de-rail this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.